This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Night At The Haunt

So this time of year, I often work at a haunted house for fun. Anyone who does this knows that it's a lot of work for very little return other than the joy of watching girls and boys run away from you screaming in terror, so you really have to enjoy what you do to endure 4 weeks worth of stupidity.

Unfortunately, like with everything, there is an abundance of stupidity to go around. We've managed to classify the various types of stupid:

Douchebags: Douchebags can be spotted fairly easily. It could be their obnoxiously loud, over sized truck they rev their engines in as they drive by multiple times before pulling into the parking lot, or it could be the ways they try impressing their girlfriend/buddies by acting all macho or making snide stupid remarks to the actors or about the things they see. Either way, they make themselves well known in short order.

These are the types that do things like stick their tongues out in suggestive manners to get a laugh from their friends even though you're there trying to scare them, or the type who do that "I'm smacking my chest in challenge, come at me, bro" thing... We're actors. We don't touch you. We're not interested in your stupid attempts at impressing people by your so-called masculine challenges. Get a clue. Get back into your over sized truck, put your Chumbawamba cd in and leave.

Mega Douchebags: Those that go even further and decide to get physical. I don't mean they fight us, but here is an example with some background to start.

bg My part in this is awesome this year. I'm in an outside tent away from the house and the last room people will see before it's over. I'm just there to give them one final scare before they leave. Oh, and I'm a clown again. I LOVE being a clown. I have a very awesome shrill laugh I use that sounds absolutely sinister. It also helps that there are a lot of people who absolutely hate clowns... though we figured that one out. More on that later.

Being in the tent gives me a lot more freedom to interact with people outside of the normal room routine. Once I scare someone out of my tent, I often walk around the lines of people and find out which ones are scared so I can mark them for when they come through my tent and have a little more fun with them outside before they reach the house since wait times can be around 3 hours or so if we're busy /bg

So tonight I was outside walking the like when I came upon a girl who was scared, so I did my thing and chased her a bit when I felt someone pat me on the back. A big no-no. You don't touch us and we don't touch you. Something was odd about this one though. I went back in my tent only to find they put some mystery white stuff on my costume jacket.

I was livid.

Seriously? Why come to a place like this if you're going to do nothing but cause trouble and be an ass? I tried to figure out who did it but never did figure it out. I hope they enjoy their little victory because the only thing they walked away with was being able to show off how cool they are to their one or two friends who I hope also now think he's a douchebag.

Terrible Parents: The ones who stand in line while they let their young roam free. This is like a paradise for annoying children. My tent has flashy things you can see from outside the tent and it became a bullseye for the kids to attack. They kept running into my tent even after I chased them out many times. It got to the point where I almost had to call security on them. Oh, and the fear of clowns? We've come to the conclusion that people get a fear of clowns by these award winning parents who bring their kids to these haunted houses at the ripe old age of four where we can scar them for life. When your child is screaming their head off and crying at the evil looking clown, it's not the time to laugh and stay in the room, it's time to leave.

However, there are some gems which are the reason we keep doing this... I'll post the ultra awesome story quick because I'm quickly fading at 5am... it was a long night.

We had one guy come through our tent tonight who was terrified of clowns. He bolted out of the tent faster than I could see him and I didn't even wait on the rest of his group. I did what any Halloween enthusiast would do: I chased his ass. I ran out of that tent in full sprint, got the other outside clown to come with me, waited for him to cross the road, then made a mad dash into the parking lot where we spent a whole 20 minutes chasing him around as he cussed at us and told us to get away. His friends were no help to him either as they locked the car and taunted him saying they needed to go when they were trying hard to keep from bursting into laughter. He locked himself in porta johns not once, not twice, but three times. His friends kept slamming into them while he was in and were talking about tipping them several times. Eventually, he slipped and fell into a water ditch getting himself soaked. He ended up riding on the back of the car out of the parking lot cause his friends wouldn't let him back in the car since he was soaked. Eventually I saw they let him back in, but that was the most epic chase ever.

Ok, can't keep eyes open. Time for bed.
    Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Don't get me started.

I guess you already did.

When I was a teenager, I volunteered for the haunted house that the Chamber of Commerce was holding for charity. I was a hooded monk, playing Chopin's Piano Sonata No. 2, movement 3, Marche funèbre: Lento. I had my back to the trail where scaregoers were walking through.

Douchebag stepped up behind me and punched me in the back of the head.

He was ever so surprised when the hooded monk leaped up and went medieval on his butt.

Comment

My Husband and my old room mate when to Knotts Scary Farm a few years back and went into one of the mazes I made the mistake of saying my room mate's name and one of the clowns heard me and started whispering her name throughout the maze. It was freaking awesome.

At some point some random girl had pushed herself up against my man's back cuz she was so scared. I thought it was weird but laughed it off.

I think my favorite line ever was: I chased his ass. I got the best mental pic ever!

And to the douche bags--what idiots! It's a time to have fun and not be a jerk. It's fun to get scared. That jerk--who got your costume dirty shoulda been tipped in the porta potties.

I hate the ones who miss the point of the fun. I bet you have a lot of crazy stories from this kind of job

Comment

When I was a teenager, I worked at the haunted house for the faculty and their friends and family of the prison my parents worked at. One of the prisoners made me a scythe (no kidding! it had a plastic head but a real wooden grip!) and my parents found a black robe and face concealing mask. For the first part, I led the groups through the house. For the second, I stood still ear the end and would jump out at people.

Well, I was standing there when two teenage girls who hadn't been through before came through. They were laughing and having a good time. They saw me apparently thought I was a mannequin. They step over to me and one reaches out and flicks my nose. It didn't hurt so I didn't react (I'm a good actor, I like to think ). They laughed and she said "It feels so life-like!" Her friend tried to flick my nose to.....and I grabbed her wrist.

Huge scream and they ran for it!
        I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Ahh, much more awake now. We had a few other gems last night. I found it amusing that while we had a lot of screaming girls, we had a lot more terrified guys who would simply take off running.

One kid when they first got to the house to buy tickets, we happened to be standing at the ticket booth line scaring. Well this kid sees us and instantly bolts off in the other direction. He tried coming back to where his friends were, made a mad dash to them, and got about 2 feet from me before chickening out and slipping on the ground clawing his way back the other way. Funniest part is that we were just standing there watching him, not even stalking at that point. It's a great thing I had a mask on because I was laughing so hard.

I eventually got to chase him back to his car but that one ended fairly quickly.

We had one girl come through who was quite the screamer. When I first heard the other clown scaring her, you'd have sworn she was scared for her life. The whole line kept turning to see what was going on. Amazingly, she made it through the house where we gave her a chase. Her mother was pretty awesome when they all piled into the car. We kept tapping on the windows and her mother put them down so we could reach in. The girl kept moving around the car like a dog does when it goes for a ride... First she's in the back seat, then she's sitting in her mothers lap in the front of the car.

Oh how I love this job. LOL
          Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

I like scaring the kids who come trick-or-treating at my house. The last few years, I've used lucha masks I pick up at Chikara. (Last year, UltraMantis Black, year before, Frightmare)

But for a couple of years, when the weather was cooperative, I wore all black-- black pants, black socks, black shoes, a long-sleeved black shirt, black gloves, and a face-concealing hooded cloak. I then stood on our front step with the basket of candy behind me, and I did. not. move. I just stood there, watching people walk by, and only moved when they came up to our house, when I'd pick up the basket, and-- without saying anything-- hold up two fingers, indicating they could take two pieces of candy.

I scared quite a few people who thought I was a statue or something, though the second year I wore this costume, it was just cold enough outside that you could see your breath, so it was even creepier to see this faceless hooded thing on the front step with cold-breath fog coming out of its hood.

I did have one jackass try to poke into the hood and pull the screen away from my face. I responded by reaching up and tugging at his mask. When he protested, I just held up a hand and wagged a finger at him.

It's fuuun spooking people.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              I like scaring the kids who come trick-or-treating at my house.
              *snip*
              One year my mom decided to dress up as a sort of witch while she handed out candies (when I say 'sort of' witch -- she didn't have the pointy hat, just a really cheap wig that was actually intended for normal everyday wear, but which she'd combed out so it stood up all over her head, and a robe -- probably her housecoat, LOL).

She'd stand away from the door until she heard "Trick or treat!", then she'd cackle hideously and ooze around till the kids could see her, open the door and hand out treats. The kids loved it.

Except one.

Mom did her schtick but instead of the usual shrieks and giggles, she heard only silence. When she finally got far enough into the doorway to see what was going on, she saw ONE tiny (think two or three years old) kid standing there, absolutely frozen in terror. Mom's appearance didn't help matters any; that's when the kid found her voice and really started to wail. Her dad was standing on the sidewalk just at the bottom of the porch and he came rushing up and picked her up. Mom opened the door and handed out some candy, apologizing profusely and saying if she'd realized it was only one very young child she wouldn't have done her usual routine. The father assured her it was OK, and suddenly started to laugh.

Mom: "What?"

Father: "She's wet herself ..."

Poor mom was devastated.

I was 'volunteered' as Candy Lady for the rest of the evening.

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
                My Husband and my old room mate when to Knotts Scary Farm a few years back and went into one of the mazes I made the mistake of saying my room mate's name and one of the clowns heard me and started whispering her name throughout the maze. It was freaking awesome.
                That happened to us once at Cedar Point during their Halloweekends. I panicked and screamed out my friends name to make her run, and one of the actors heard it. He dipped his head over the wall, "'Naaaaaaaammmme' where are you?" She tripped out. It was hilarious.

Comment

One year I went all out while I was still living at my parents'. Raked up all the pinestraw in the yard into mounds and made fake tombstones to put at the heads. Stuck a shovel in the ground near one, stuffed some clothes with pinestraw to have limbs hanging out of the graves. Stuffed an entire outfit (jeans, flannel shirt) with straw and sat it on a chair. Then I dressed up similar to my dummy and sat next to it, holding the bowl of candy in my lap. I had my hair stuffed under a trucker's cap, and the ends were sticking out all disheveled, and put a thin layer of black makeup on my jaw to resemble a beard.

So the kids would walk up and I'd suddenly move, holding the bowl of candy out to them. Never failed to elicit a scream, despite the kids looking back and forth between me and the dummy, whispering, "Are they fake? I think that one's real." One kid, an older kid a year younger than me (I was at that awkward age where some have grown out of Halloween but others still trick-or-treat) ran all the way back to the car and locked himself in.

One of the best Halloweens ever for me.

Comment

Never saw or did any good scares when I used to trick or treat, though one was the coolest because, there just so happened to be a witch on a broomstick shaped cloud that night, pointy hat, long nose, pointy chin, everything.
                    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                      then she'd cackle hideously and ooze around till the kids could see her, open the door and hand out treats. The kids loved it.
                      There's an image! "Ooze"!

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                      Mom did her schtick but instead of the usual shrieks and giggles, she heard only silence. When she finally got far enough into the doorway to see what was going on, she saw ONE tiny (think two or three years old) kid standing there, absolutely frozen in terror. Mom's appearance didn't help matters any; that's when the kid found her voice and really started to wail. Her dad was standing on the sidewalk just at the bottom of the porch and he came rushing up and picked her up. Mom opened the door and handed out some candy, apologizing profusely and saying if she'd realized it was only one very young child she wouldn't have done her usual routine. The father assured her it was OK, and suddenly started to laugh.

Mom: "What?"

Father: "She's wet herself ..."

Poor mom was devastated.

I was 'volunteered' as Candy Lady for the rest of the evening.
                      Oh, pobrecita and your poor mom!

And good on the dad though for not having a go at your mom for scaring the wee one.
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Mmmm.... Halloween... Oh, how I love it.

I remember the crew I used to hang with had a Halloween party one year where one of the group was done up as a scarecrow. He looked awesome. Anyway, as the kids were just starting to show up, he plopped himself down on the porch and just sort of sprawled, as tho he were a prop. He was a really lanky guy, so it worked really well. The kids would come up and while they were getting candy, he'd reach out and grab an ankle. The shrieks were great.

Another year, another party, another crew. I'm in all black... long raw silk circle skirt, raw silk peasant shirt, platform boots, and a "sorceress" wig. I'm sitting out on the trunk of my car, near the sidewalk, playing with a dagger from the then-hubby's faire kit. Another friend has borrowed a black cloak and is tucked back into a small alcove right next to the door and completely unseen until you stepped up close to the door. I'm the caller; I call up to the house when we have kids and let them know what age group we have coming (babies and little tots that weren't cool to scare got called 'appetizers' ) so they could prep how they'd greet them. I can't tell you how many tweenie and teen boys absolutely and completely refused to go anywhere near the front door! The friend in the alcove scared the hell out of more than a few of the kids we had come up for candy that night.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

There is plenty of epic fun and more than a little stupidity to go around when you are dealing with haunted houses and other scary places at Halloween. But you went too far chasing the dude around the parking lot for 20 minutes. His friends might have been in on it, but chasing someone until they fall into a water ditch is over the top. You do realize that if he hurt himself when he fell you and the place you work for could have been in for a lawsuit. Or he could have decided that taking you out is the way to put a stop to the chase.

I used to carny in the summertime and worked a wonderful illusion called Girl into Gorilla." Usually billed as something like "Simba the Jungle Girl - See the ape girl, she's alive! Only the brave are invited to see Simba change into an ape!" Through a skillful placement of mirrors a pretty girl transforms into a gorilla who then comes forward, rips the bars apart and charges the audience. It's amazing what people will believe because at least half the adults in the audience literally fled in terror when the bars went and the others soon followed. You learned not to stand in front of the tent entrance or you could get trampled. You didn't let the tip (the next audience) stand there either and risk getting flattened. The gorilla was allowed to go as far as the tent entrance and only that far if all the audience fled. The last thing you wanted was for someone to get hurt trying to get away from the "gorilla." Or just as bad get so scared that they fought back.

Next time you decide to chase some guy through a parking lot remember he might decide that a dead clown beats the hell out of being chased by a live one...

Comment

I can give you 3 examples right now of why so many people are creeped out by clowns (myself included.. although I wouldn't run screaming from one.. usually!)

I do love Halloween, I really wish we celebrated it here, properly I mean.. it's becoming more popular, but it's not on the scale of the US! I'm spewing because I've been in the States twice now during the month of October, so saw all the gear in the stores, but I always flew out before the actual day.. One day Hubby and I will have a proper US Halloween.. one day..
                            "You're perfect yes it's true, but without meeeee you're only you!"

Comment

Quoth Mystic View Post
                              So tonight I was outside walking the like when I came upon a girl who was scared, so I did my thing and chased her a bit when I felt someone pat me on the back.

We had one guy come through our tent tonight who was terrified of clowns. He bolted out of the tent faster than I could see him and I didn't even wait on the rest of his group. I did what any Halloween enthusiast would do: I chased his ass.
                              first one if you did that to me my friends would be more than patting you, as they would be calling the paramedics to deal with my panic attack and subsequent mental breakdown. It's not "funny", and this is why I don't go to haunted houses, a clown is terrifying enough to me that it could put me in a psych ward for a few days.
                              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                              X