This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teenage Idiots

Personally I wish these kids' parents would just pony up the dough and let them go to the movies so they'll leave us alone on a Friday night.
    4 teenage boys came into our store, and at least 3 of them were not wearing a shirt, to which I informed them that they needed to wear shirts coming into our store. Common sense should tell them this, but they're stupid first of all because they're customers, and second, the fact that they are teenagers makes them even more stupid (some teens are stupid, I meant no offense to all teens. Sometimes teens don't think straight) I wasn't even sure if they had to wear shirts, but I figured once again that it should come as common sense. I asked another cashier and they said no they didn't have to. I found out from a sup later that we could refuse service if they had no shirt or no shoes.
    To make the transaction longer, they came up 10 cents short, and I told them they needed to come up with 10 more cents or take something off. For any of you out there who are about to tell me just give them the 10 cents, no I will not. 1 or 2 cents is where I draw the line. And if a customer's total comes to $*.02 for example, I will let them have it if its all that they have, unless they have more money in their wallet. Sorry, but if you have enough to pay for the transaction, then I'm not giving you a dam thing. Am I rude, mean, or stingy because of this? Certainly not. You have enough to pay for your items, so don't look like a cheap ass asking for a few pennies. Pull another bill out of your wallet, because I'm going to give you back ALL of your change, whether you like it or not.

I don't think you are rude or blame you one bit. I had a customer that I gave a small amount too, maybe 6 cents. Then next time it was a quarter, then once he came in expecting a whole dollar. Give them a penny they expect you to pay for their whole purchase.

Comment

Some people seem to live to take advantage of others.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

You don't have to do anything for them for 1 cent. Things cost what they cost.

It's always nice when a cashier does this for someone who comes up short.

It's not nice when a customer complains or expects it.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I dont think anyone here would expect you to pay anything out of your own pocket, Bowser. If I dont have enough, I dont get it. Thats it. Ive borrowed a penny or two from the elusive penny bowl to even out a dollar or to save me from breaking a bigger bill or something, but I dont use it to pay for my purchase.

Comment

Back in the day (LOL) when small children could walk to their corner store in relative safety ... yeah, if it was a very young kid, I'd let it slide once, but would make sure to tell him/her that next time he must have the full amount.

Older kids? Nope. Not then and not now. As you said, cough up the dough or put something back. We get people like this at the thrift shop all the time. They are just "a little short" and unfortunately some of our volunteers let them get away with it. I'm not often on cash so I don't know the repeat offenders, so I am more likely to say "Sorry, what would you like to put back?" to any customer. The tougher volunteers say it's amazing how quickly some of them can "find" the extra money under those circumstances.

Comment

A number of years back, I used to work in a university bookstore where we sold envelopes for 5 cents. Had a student asking if I could spot them 3 cents for the envelope. There's a reason I'm a hardass about it if you don't have enough money.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

While we're on the subject, how many of you had a customer complain about a penny, and then actually had a manager open the til and give them one? Well I never actually had this happen, but I had many a manager who said they would do that.
                If I were a manager, and thankfully I am not, I would look the customer right in the eye and say, "Seriously? A penny? Grow up." and I would say this is part of the deal (say a buy 1 get 1 free) and its only a penny. But the managers want to kiss the customers' asses so they don't lose their precious sale, we all know the drill by now folks.
                Yes yes I know, a penny isn't free, but come on folks. You can find tons of them lying around on the ground if you're that desperate and poor. I guess that's why businesses don't charge customers a penny anymore when they're supposed to get the item for free. But still, a penny?
                And that is my 2 cents

Comment

Whaaat, you're not rude at all! Like Panacea said, things cost what they cost. And plus, that practice is just inviting a slippery slope. If 10 cents is enough to comp, how about 20? How about 50? A dollar? Come on, it's just one dollar, can't you cover it??

..NO.
                  "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

Oh gosh, we once had these group of teenage boys that would come in every Friday night and always be short on the change. My coworker finally got sick of it and told them he couldn't spot them anymore.
                    CW "I'm sorry, but you're short. Do you have any more money or would you like to take an item off?"
                    SC "Can't you just cover it, it's only 20 cents."
                    CW "No, then my drawer would be short."
                    SC "How would it be short?"
                    WHAT?! *brain explodes*

Comment

Quoth notlovinit View Post
                      CW "No, then my drawer would be short."
                      SC "How would it be short?"
                      It won't reach the back of the register, so when I shove it in, it goes in too far, and I can't get it out.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

If a customer is being nice and respectful and I'm in a good mood and their total is $x.01 and they don't have a penny and they don't demand a dollar back like an EW (note all the requirements) I give them the dollar to be nice. My train of thought is, although now it's just 20 cents, if I helped out every little miss-eyes-are-bigger-than-her-budget and mister-don't-wanna-break-a-bill, all those little "just-a-few-cent"s turns into quite a few dollars. A few dollars short gets me in deep shit.
                        Answers: $1
                        Correct Answers: $2
                        Answers that require thought: $5
                        Dumb looks are still free.

Comment

Quoth Kisa
                          If a customer is being nice and respectful and I'm in a good mood and their total is $x.01 and they don't have a penny and they don't demand a dollar back like an EW (note all the requirements) I give them the dollar to be nice.
                          QFT. This. I do this too.
                          Last edited by dragon_wings; 10-18-2011, 01:28 PM.
                          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                            We get people like this at the thrift shop all the time. They are just "a little short" and unfortunately some of our volunteers let them get away with it. I'm not often on cash so I don't know the repeat offenders, so I am more likely to say "Sorry, what would you like to put back?" to any customer. The tougher volunteers say it's amazing how quickly some of them can "find" the extra money under those circumstances.
                            Once when my wife was in a manic episode, she HAD to shop (its one of the things her manias tell her to do). We went to the local thrift store, as its one of our ways of coping with the mania. We ended up a few cents short.

Thankfully, the volunteer looked at the desperation in my face, and the mania in hers, and let us have the items. After the next pay, I went down and paid them back, plus some extra cents. The person I gave it to was confused, but accepted it.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                            X