Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the creep, followed by a little WTF?

I've got a couple of short stories to share. I just started back to work about two weeks ago at a grocery store after being unemployed for several months. So without further ado...

It was fairly busy and I was on register ringing people through and engaging in a little chat with the customers. A man comes through my line who is probably old enough to be my father and he pays with a check. The following creeped me out just a little...

Me: Sir, is your phone number correct on the check?
    Guy: Yeah, its right. *pauses for a second before giving me a huge, creepy grin* But don't call me on that number. My wife will answer and she won't like it.
    Me: ..... uhm, okay *gives that forced half-laugh you do when you're trying to humor someone*
    Guy: *stares at me intently* I can give you my cell number though... you can call me there any time.
    Me: O_O *nervous laughter* Uhm... *stares at the check reader willing it to go faster so I don't slip and tell this guy to get away from me*
    Elderly gentleman who heard the exchange: Leave that girl alone. She should charge you more for talking to her like that.

I've never been so happy to see another customer in my line in my life. I quickly finished the transaction and handed him the receipt, at which time he just had to brush his fingers over my hand to take it. I HATE when people do that... don't touch me. Just go away.

The second story was later the same day. A lady came through my line with a bottle of vitamins. The bottle had the plastic thing around the cap so you could tell it hadn't been messed with, but someone had done inventory that morning and there was a small piece of tape on the top of the cap that she only noticed when she set it on the belt. Cue freakout.

Lady: Oh my god! What is that on the top of that bottle? Why is there a number on it?!!!!
    Me: *looks* Oh, its just a piece of tape. Someone must have been taking counts this morning. I can just peel it right off. *takes bottle and peels off the little piece of masking tape.* See? No harm done.
    Lady: That is unsanitary and unprofessional! I want a new bottle now!
    Me: *blinks at her* Uhm okay, let me call over to that department and get someone to bring one up...

I call over to that department and tell the person who answers what I need brought up, then continue scanning the rest of her things. Now, remember that thing she said about the tape being unsanitary? This lady had UNBAGGED fresh vegetables and fruits that she just set on my belt. Uhm... wait, what? She's concerned about a piece of tape on top of a sealed product, but her fresh produce is set on the belt for my register with nothing between it and the germy thing that 50000 people a day touch?

The girl from the health and beauty department came to swap out the bottles and the woman left, still muttering about the "unsanitary" tape. When my coworker examined the bottle, she gave me an odd look and asked what was wrong with it. When I told her what the woman had said, she just rolled her eyes and muttered something under her breath along the lines of "fucking dingbat" before going back to work.

Oh the joys of a new job... I'm sure I'll have plenty more stories on the way.

Oh, your 2nd story reminds me of a customer who comes through the pharmacy...he is a MAJOR germaphobe...he actually wears gloves year-round so he doesn't have to "touch" anything, but will take them off to use the hand sanitizer that is next to the pharmacy register??? I'm thinking "Okay, you won't touch anything BUT the pump on the hand sanitizer that probably has more germs on it than anything else in the store....mmmkay"

Comment

Quoth CrystalynRose View Post
      Elderly gentleman who heard the exchange: Leave that girl alone. She should charge you more for talking to her like that.
      Nice customer, ! I am so glad he stood up for you.
      Now, remember that thing she said about the tape being unsanitary? This lady had UNBAGGED fresh vegetables and fruits that she just set on my belt. Uhm... wait, what? She's concerned about a piece of tape on top of a sealed product, but her fresh produce is set on the belt for my register with nothing between it and the germy thing that 50000 people a day touch?
      Apparently she does not realize that people set their uncooked meat, filthy money and their babies with dirty diapers on that belt!

Yeah, some people really have no clue whatsoever.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Now, remember that thing she said about the tape being unsanitary? This lady had UNBAGGED fresh vegetables and fruits that she just set on my belt. Uhm... wait, what? She's concerned about a piece of tape on top of a sealed product, but her fresh produce is set on the belt for my register with nothing between it and the germy thing that 50000 people a day touch?

The evil side of me would have wanted to start bagging up all the fruit and veggies as soon as she chucked the spaz about the vitamins and put them aside
        And when she would ask 'OMG, what are you doing!"
        I would have said 'just putting these unsanitary food products aside, the fruit/veg is over there, I can wait while you go and restock. Given your germ phobia and all'

Comment

Wow, I'm not a germaphobe AT ALL, but ewwwwwwwwwww

Comment

So a little piece of tape is "unsanitary" but the fresh produce that has been handled by the grower, the pickers, the buyers, the store personnel and previous shoppers is not?

'k, whatever.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              So a little piece of tape is "unsanitary" ...
              Obviously mispronounced and misspelled, here... "Insanitary" is what was obviously meant.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

So the tape was on top, never touched the pills, was removed..the top could have been sanitized (wipes or whatever) .. and she threw a fit? Wait..when you brought the new bottle .. I am guessing the person who brought it touched it, and you touched it..and whoever transferred the pills touched it..so um..wouldn't that be just as bad?

I sometimes forget I should not try to understand the crazy SC's
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post

Apparently she does not realize that people set their uncooked meat, filthy money and their babies with dirty diapers on that belt!
                  And this, Constant Reader, is reason number 545564654654 why I treat produce like it's hazardous waste until I can get it home and sanitize it.

It about makes me when I see people grazing.

Comment

Elderly gentleman is awesome!! Too bad he didn't punch out Mr. Creepy too If I got a customer like that I'd say sure, I'd be happy to take your number...and give it to my husband. That oughta scare the bejeebers out of him!!
                    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X