This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Know Profiling Is Wrong, But...

...and I'm back. Yes, my super triumphant return is NOWZ! It's good to be back, so first let me explain why I was gone. On late January of 2010, after nearly 3 years of service, Time Warner Cable fired me from my Tier 3 Advanced Technical Support Representative position, literally just a hair under the engineering department, for transferring 6 billing calls to the billing department in a week.

After nearly all of 2010 searching for IT, programming, advanced technical support, computer repair, help desk, and various other related jobs, I got hired! For customer service! Over the phone! For one of their major competitors! Excitement! In any case, I deliberated several times about posting here, but without any true Internet access at work, because I'm just some lowly peon that wouldn't know what an Internet was if it kicked me in the ass dontchaknow (despite me interviewing for and possibly getting an IT position there now) coupled with my bad memory and, well...what were we talking about?

ANYWAY...here are our typical customers.

"I'm supposed to pay for that?"

I had a customer tonight that attempted this argument on me. It didn't work. She stated she had no idea her account was set up for automatic payment. For over a year. And thought maybe she was getting free TV. Naturally, my sympathy meter reached a whopping zero as I explained to her that she should have at least gotten e-mails and could easily have checked her account online.

She ended up saying something stupid about her contract, which is a buzz word for me, and I immediately transferred her to an executive, who sounded like she was ready to laugh her ass off when I explained the situation, close to laughter myself.

"I'm old and have no idea what you're saying, also I'm probably an asshole, actually."

I feel for old people. I really do. HD, 1080p, HDMI, progressive scan...seriously, what the hell is this stuff? I mean, I have multiple IT certifications, a bachelors in programming...and there's a bunch of TV stuffs I just can't keep up with 100%. I certainly don't expect a senior citizen to keep up with it any better. But here's where they lose me: when they can't operate a remote. At all.

I understand if you don't know where the PIP, mute, mode, or "make me a goddamn coffee" buttons are (boy I wish there was a button for that), but the power button? The volume buttons? Channel up and down? Uh uh. You are more than likely a couch potato calling in because you're tired of your remote taking more than half a second to do something, so you aren't fooling me.

And if you really don't know how to operate a remote, then...well, then I REALLY feel for you.

"I'm young and don't care what you're saying, also I'm definitely an asshole, actually."

We all deal with these punks and (hopefully) attempt to not be them. The snot-nosed little punks that call up and try to ride the "I'm a customer so NYAH" ticket as long as possible without being verbally beaten across the ass over your knee. Most of these assholes sound like they're maybe all of 16, but somehow have an account.

They will get upset over anything, and I mean ANYTHING, just because they can. Bill is $5 off? PISSED. Partial signal loss in the middle of a hailstorm? PISSED. Technician is scheduled between 12 and 5 and the tech isn't there by 4? PISSED. I mean, really, most of the time these guys are PISSED about something relatively negligible or annoying on a fairly minor scale...and I just don't get it.

Once again, I have no sympathy for these guys. Often I treat them like the children they are and get them off my line as quickly as possible.

"I'm foreign and we have no idea what each other are saying, also I'm impatient, guaranteed, every time."

Does your name have 20 syllables? Then you probably have an accent! I'm attempting to say this without sounding horribly racist, so I apologize in advance for any possible offense. I don't have a problem with foreigners, people with accents, or what some refer to as "brown people." I don't, I really don't.

I had an Indian call tonight that had no accent whatsoever and if I didn't see his name, I honestly would never have known. No, what I'm referring to is the people that start the conversation with "please get me a Hindi agent," I respond with the fact that I'll put them on a callback list and it may take up to 24 hours, then somehow they know how to speak English...only they really don't...and they really don't understand it either.

Waiting sucks, but how am I supposed to help you if we can't understand each other?!

"I'm surprisingly normal, ONLY NOT."

My wife uses this tactic and I'm not a fan. The call starts normally. The customer is calm, patient, polite, and mild mannered. Suddenly, as soon as they hear anything they don't like or once they get to a certain point in the conversation, HOLY CRAP HULK SMASH. Then they become normal again, as if to intimidate me.

Sir and/or madam, I am not intimidated. Annoyed, but not scared in the least. You disgust me with this obvious manipulative tactic. Maybe it's because I worked security for 5 years, I don't know. People love to try this one with me and I just let them vent. When they're done, they're shocked when I completely RE-rail the topic back to my original sentence, which they thought they'd derailed several minutes back.

This doesn't just take the wind out of their sails, it completely exhausts them until I completely direct the conversation where I want it to go. So really, these calls are pretty easy.

"Get me a supervisor."

Here's how this works. You called me because of X. I am agent Y. I can offer many solutions, but you'd rather have supervisor Z. Supervisor Z doesn't like you, but he LOVES me. What do you think is going to happen if I, agent Y, tell him that reason X is buckets and you're a moron? Oh that's right, he'll take the call, make you feel like an idiot, and you'll eventually hang up.

So instead, I apologize for whatever X might be, verify your account, read the notes while you vent, attempt to calm you down with my soothing voice which doesn't sound at all like an adolescent redneck struggling with puberty, and one of two things happen. One, your issue is resolved, totally and completely, in a way you didn't expect, and you thank me.

Two, you get my supervisor and get buckets.

"The last agent, F Head, promised this. YOU must honor it!"

I am a highly trusted agent. Having been there just shy of a year, I have been trusted with delinquent billing, high tier customers, partnered accounts, brand new customers, and now, the ever dreaded repeat queue. Here's the thing. We hire a lot of idiots. I mean, a LOT of idiots. When I don't know something, I ask, and I'm always polite, unless the situation demands I shift gears and think outside the box.

So when an ever-delinquent customer tells me that the last agent said she was good to go for HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, Encore, Epix, the platinum package, and so many other things for FREE...I tend to be both a bit leery and annoyed all at once. Being the bearer of bad news is never easy, but doing so because the previous agent or previous SEVERAL agents were idiots? Never fun.

In those situations I'm apologetic, serious, and honest. I offer them what I can, but explained the last agent was wrong and that information WILL be sent to his supervisor (it probably won't, but most customers are spiteful, so it shifts the blame a little more, so there is that). In these situations, I'm more angry at the agents than I am at the customers because sure, we've got some shady types, but come on!

Anyway, that's about it for now, but it's good to be back!
    You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Don't forget that when they claim an agent said they could get any- & everything, doesn't necessarily mean it's true... But if they did do that, they need a thumping. We have 2 tiers of knowledge here at the station, and I'm forever having to correct misconceptions fostered by those who don't work in the ticket office
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Hello Gunsage and welcome back! I've sure been missing you Even though I lurk mostly myself, I enjoy to read your stories.
      A man can be stupid and not know it, but not if he is married.

Comment

The other thing is though I get crappy customers, the job isn't so bad. I feel like I genuinely help people, which is something I've never really had before. That and I'm paid for performance and they're starting a sort of commission for the sales thingy now, which makes it all the more sweeter, but hopefully I'll get into IT before it becomes BS mandatory like I know it will.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
          Don't forget that when they claim an agent said they could get any- & everything, doesn't necessarily mean it's true... But if they did do that, they need a thumping. We have 2 tiers of knowledge here at the station, and I'm forever having to correct misconceptions fostered by those who don't work in the ticket office
          yeah the old "the other person said i could do it!" scam

Comment

Welcome back, Gunsage! The "other agent" said and promised me ____ !!" spiel isn't always because the last agent was a n00b but mostly because the SC is trying to be slick to get something out of you that you know is as possible as seeing an elephant fly.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth gunsage View Post
              "I'm old and have no idea what you're saying, also I'm probably an asshole, actually."

I feel for old people. I really do. HD, 1080p, HDMI, progressive scan...seriously, what the hell is this stuff? I mean, I have multiple IT certifications, a bachelors in programming...and there's a bunch of TV stuffs I just can't keep up with 100%. I certainly don't expect a senior citizen to keep up with it any better. But here's where they lose me: when they can't operate a remote. At all.

I understand if you don't know where the PIP, mute, mode, or "make me a goddamn coffee" buttons are (boy I wish there was a button for that), but the power button? The volume buttons? Channel up and down? Uh uh. You are more than likely a couch potato calling in because you're tired of your remote taking more than half a second to do something, so you aren't fooling me.

And if you really don't know how to operate a remote, then...well, then I REALLY feel for you.
              Every time that I talk to someone from U-Verse, they tell me that over 50% of their tech support calls, even FIELD VISITS are regarding the remote control. I believe it.

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
                ... even FIELD VISITS are regarding the remote control. I believe it.
                Excuse me, Sir/Maam. That's your cell phone. It doesn't control the satellite receiver or the TV or the DVR or the stereo... yet.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  Excuse me, Sir/Maam. That's your cell phone. It doesn't control the satellite receiver or the TV or the DVR or the stereo... yet.
                  "That will be $75 for the service call please".

Comment

Quoth gunsage View Post
                    Time Warner Cable fired me from my Tier 3 Advanced Technical Support Representative position, literally just a hair under the engineering department, for transferring 6 billing calls to the billing department in a week.
                    Headscratch indeed. So let me get this straight. The official reason for the termination of your employment is that you directed billing related calls to the billing department which by definition and my reasoning would be the best place to send billing related calls?

I'm just trying to wrap my brain around that concept but Mr. Brain is steadfastly refusing to touch that with a 12-meter cattle prod.
                    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      Actually my Android has a directv app that works great (even better than the actual remote )

I understand completely though especially when you're working a ticket/case that someone else has ignored or screwed up before you even get it.

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                        Headscratch indeed. So let me get this straight. The official reason for the termination of your employment is that you directed billing related calls to the billing department which by definition and my reasoning would be the best place to send billing related calls?

I'm just trying to wrap my brain around that concept but Mr. Brain is steadfastly refusing to touch that with a 12-meter cattle prod.
                        Well, they pulled me in an office one day, said there will be a review for termination because I transferred 6 billing calls in a week to the billing department. I stared at my supervisor for a second, realized this wasn't a joke, and responded "I'm not refusing to do billing, but when am I going to get trained on it? This has never, I repeat, NEVER been a responsibility of mine and I assumed these calls were being misrouted, as many have been lately."

Her response? To inform me there is no such thing as "misrouted calls," that I'm simply supposed to answer the call and resolve the problem, apparently even if I've never been trained on what I'm being asked, and that "she can't fix what she doesn't know is broken." I asked her for clarification on how to handle billing, she referred me to the internal knowledge base which had little to no information, then sent me back to the phones.

Next call? "I want to pay my bill." I put the customer on hold and asked the new supervisor next to me what to do. "Well, you could take the payment, but there's a $5 agent assistance fee. I would just transfer them to the billing line." Yeah, I'm really happy I'm not working there anymore. They fired me 2 weeks later and tried to claim gross incompetence to cockblock my unemployment, which didn't work as "the work required of stated employee was never part of original position, nor was it signed off on."

Sadly I made more in employment than I'm making now, but that's also because I'm paying a ridiculous amount for the company insurance.

Comment

Heh, the only thing I ever got free from my TV/Internet provider was a free upgrade to a higher bandwidth tier because they gave me three bad replacement routers in one day. The first two wouldn't even light up when plugged in, so of course I asked to plug in the third. It lit fine, but when I took it home, I found out it was broken also. It would only pass packets one way--in. Packets check in, but they won't check out!

I took the third back in, was very patient, if exasperated, with the agent that talked to me. She was a bit put out that they had given me bad equipment multiple times, and agreed to test it on their equipment before I left the office. SHe came back with the replacement and her manager, who offered me the upgraded service. I thanked them and finally got my computer back on the grid. Being patient and nice, but firm, pays off.
                          Last edited by Geek King; 10-21-2011, 07:02 PM.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Got another one.

Mr. (or Ms.) One Way Conversation

One thing about a lot of customers, especially impatient ones, is they apparently have no way of knowing the reason they're not getting a prompt and timely response is because they're YAKKIN'. However, it's the ones that act as if they can't hear you when you say something they don't like that really get to me. I don't care if you don't LIKE the idea that your bill went up, but don't act like you don't understand me.

Like so.

Me: *after a very lengthly and detailed explanation* "...so in summation, that is why your bill is now $79.99 before tax."
                            SC: "...hello?"
                            Me: "I'm here, sir."
                            SC: "Yes. Ahhhhh....so, why is my bill so high?"
                            Me: "...I just explained that to you, sir. Which part didn't you understand?"
                            SC: "Uhhhhhh....uh...ummm...hello?"
                            Me: "...sir, I haven't gone anywhere. What do you need help with?"
                            SC: "Well, ahhhh...I don't understand why my bill is so high!"
                            Me:

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                              But I'm sure they'll be an app for that in the not too distant future.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X