This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patience, man!

Woot! First post! It's a short one, but I figure starting out small is a good idea

/bg - I am the manager at a small pawn shop in Canada. I often work alone, which is usually not a problem, the majority of our customers are regulars with jobs, lives and such - and they're respectful for the most part. This guy, however, just didn't get the memo. /end bg

Sir, there was absolutely no need to call me the "C" word this morning when you rushed the door when I first opened it so that I could come in and get ready for opening. We weren't open for another 15 minutes and I didn't have time to "answer a couple of questions" after I unlocked the door (there's less than 1 minute from opening that front door until all hell breaks loose if you don't deactivate the alarm!). The hours are clearly posted, and I would have been more than happy to help you after the alarm was turned off if you had only been more calm and rational - AND NOT CALLED ME THE "C" WORD! Jerk. Seriously, you scared the crap outta me, and made me more than a little nervous! Good call on not waiting around until I did open up though... you would have gotten an earful!

Good story! And welcome!

I thought about this site just this morning, when I pulled up to a drug store that was due to open in five minutes. I sat in my car for ten, just to give them some breathing space.

Comment

He was trying to rob you is my gut feeling.
      When I worked at a pawn shop in Salt Lake we would have asshats like that show up not at open, but when they knew someone was going to be there to open and try to force their way in "Oh, I just want to look around while you get things set up. You'll have thousands of dollars in jewlrey being transferred out of the walk in safe to the display? Gasp, it's a good thing I'm trustworthy!" And so forth

Comment

nah, he came back 15 minutes after we opened and was trying to pawn a couple of amps. He wasn't too keen on the idea of being called out for what he said to me (a female running a pawnshop needs to have some cajones, and not be afraid to stand up for herself!). He didn't like the lowball offer I gave him either. Seriously, did he really think I was gonna be nice as pie to him after that? Duh!

On a side note though, there have been a lot of businesses in town that have been robbed in the past 2 weeks, so that definitely ran through my mind.

As for the people who want to come in and take a look while you do your morning routine... it's unnerving to say the least. I get the "look in the fishbowl" people we like to call it - cupping their hands so they can see better through the glass. I like to stare 'em down and not do a damn thing until they stop. It's kind of a game my coworker and I have going on, it doesn't matter what time of day.. LOL
        Last edited by MadMike; 10-20-2011, 10:06 PM. Reason: Consecutive posts

Comment

Yeah, I would have people come up and shake the bars on the gate at Game Store before opening or after closing. Usually just wanting me to "answer a couple of questions", but always making me lose count while doing my inventory.

After a while, my boss got tired of all the alarm calls because I would arm the door alarm but turn off the motion sensor when the store was closed but I was there alone. I think that he just took himself off the call list, because the alarm company would call me directly on my cell phone.

Phone - "ADT, there is a burglar alarm going off, do you need the police to respond?"
          Me (to guy outside) - "ADT wants to know if the police need to come, what do you think?"
          Guy - runs away

Comment

Working...
          X