Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They're Really Trying My Pet Peeves Now!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're Really Trying My Pet Peeves Now!

Plus bonus stupidity! So, I just finished another three night stretch of night shifts. Joy. Nothing extremely sucky, but WOW were people trying my nerves by doing my pet peeves!

Thanks For Not Waiting!
    I lost count of the number of times this happened. I'd be waiting on one customer, and the SC behind them decided they didn't want to wait, or were too important to wait, whatever. They would drop their money for whatever (usually gas) on the counter and leave. I even had one almost push the customer I was waiting on in order to drop the money in front of me. I. Hate. This. I hate it with a passion! Wait your turn, you stupid douchewaffles! I don't care how speshul of a snowflake you are. Everyone else has to wait, and so do you!

Get OFF the Damn Phone!!
    Ah, yes, the favorite complaint on these here boards--people on their cell phones. I had one guy tonight who didn't even speak to me the entire time I waited on him. The more I have this happen, the more I want to make a sign saying 'GET OFF YOUR PHONE OR GET OUT OF LINE' and take it to work and put it on the counter. Then again...SC's don't read signs. Clearly that would fail.

Tell Me What You Want!
    This happened several times. People came in with winning lottery tickets. No problem. I ran them through the machine, then turned to the SC and said "you've won $x". Here's where they SHOULD have told me what they wanted to do with said money--buy more tickets, take the cash, whatever. Instead, they stared at me. Every damn time I had one come in to turn in tickets...they just stared at me when I told them the amount they'd won. I'm not a mind reader, people. Speak up!

Be Freakin' Specific!!
    Yeah, keep walking in and just telling me you want "a pack of Pall Mall" or "long cut wintergreen". Go ahead. I'm gonna start grabbing random packs of that brand of cigarettes, or a random can of long cut wintergreen chew. Maybe then you'll learn to BE SPECIFIC!!! At least some of them have the decency to realize their mistake....some of them. Not nearly enough though!

You're Not Funny
    Know what I'm tired of hearing? Smart remarks when I run the counterfeit pen over your $50 and $100 bills and hold them up to the light to double check them. "Oh they should be fine, I just printed them! Hur hur!" "Oh it'd better be good! I made it this morning!"...It's not funny. Really. Stop it already. Someday, you're gonna say it in front of the wrong person--that person being one affiliated with the law, with the power to arrest counterfeiters. Yup. Keep talking there, jokester.

And now, for the bonus stupidity:

Your Priorities Are Just SLIGHTLY Skewed
    Had a woman come in and get nearly $80 worth of items. Most of it was beer, lottery tickets, cigs, etc. Five dollars of it was gas. SOMEONE has their priorities ass backwards. And before you say she was just topping off--she did the gas on pre-pay. She was just being cheap with it.

You May Have A Slight Problem..
    One of my first customers was a guy with a stack of lottery scratchers to check. Now, I counted, and this stack of tickets cost him around $240,00 to buy. He won a total of $43.00. That, my friends, is what I would call a slight gambling problem. At least he was patient enough to wait while I rang up other customers so I wasn't holding them up checking his tickets though!

Poor Little Lost Drunk Girls
    This happened Wednesday night. Two twenty-something year old girls came wandering in. One was obviously drunk, the other not so much. The one that was not so much went to the restroom. The other asked if we had maps. I walked over and showed her the maps, and she proceeded to ask where they were. Now, this girl had enough alcohol on her breath that I swear I could've gotten drunk just breathing it in. Anyway, she proceeded to ask which part of Iowa they were in, whether they were closer to Minnesota or Missouri, etc. I had to actually show her on the map where they were. Turns out that somehow (she blamed her GPS, I blame the alcohol she had obviously consumed) they were lost nearly an hour from the Interstate they were supposed to be on. I got them back on the right track, and thankfully the one that seemed sober was driving, but wow...That was the mind-blowing moment of the night right there!

And rest,,,and be thankful for a day off today!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Smart remarks when I run the counterfeit pen over your $50 and $100 bills and hold them up to the light to double check them. "Oh they should be fine, I just printed them! Hur hur!" "Oh it'd better be good! I made it this morning!"
    This is one of my pet peeves, too. It wasn't funny the first 500 times I heard it and it is rapidly getting worse!

I really want to have a counterfeit one turn up so that I can tell the cops "yep, he said he made that one in front of all these witnesses!"
    There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Comment

Quoth Nemesis44UK View Post
      This is one of my pet peeves, too. It wasn't funny the first 500 times I heard it and it is rapidly getting worse!

I really want to have a counterfeit one turn up so that I can tell the cops "yep, he said he made that one in front of all these witnesses!"
      Had that happen. Best part was the next person in line was a state trooper, in uniform, who saw the mark turn black.

Cue the trooper's hand going on the man's shoulder, cue man needing new pants as he hears, "You have the right to remain silent..."

Cue me laughing at that joke for the first time, ever.

Comment

OMG, Voldine, I would actually LOVE to see that happen just ONCE at the C-store. That is what I call instant Karma!
        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post

Tell Me What You Want!
          This happened several times. People came in with winning lottery tickets. No problem. I ran them through the machine, then turned to the SC and said "you've won $x". Here's where they SHOULD have told me what they wanted to do with said money--buy more tickets, take the cash, whatever. Instead, they stared at me. Every damn time I had one come in to turn in tickets...they just stared at me when I told them the amount they'd won. I'm not a mind reader, people. Speak up!

I have to admit, I would probably do that one. I rarely buy lottery tickets, have never had a winning ticket, I simply wouldn't know I had a choice to make unless someone told me, I do know a huge win would mean a trip to a lottery office instead of a retail outlet, of course. But a small win, I would have just expected to be given the cash for the ticket.

DH is guilty of the lame jokes (maybe not so much the money printing, but others (no price tag, must be free, etc). I don't think it's ever occured to him that cashiers hear these all the time, he's just trying to be friendly, rather than go thru the line in silence. Hope he hasn't pissed off too many cashiers, he's really a nice guy.

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
            But a small win, I would have just expected to be given the cash for the ticket.
            Same here.

I figure if it's something that happens a lot, I'd just add, "Would you like that in cash," to the recitation of the total won. It's a good prompt, it's short, and it's likely what most people do (other than the ones that go straight back into scratching).

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
              OMG, Voldine, I would actually LOVE to see that happen just ONCE at the C-store. That is what I call instant Karma!
              Well, the thing is, most people don't realize that it's a crime to attempt to use a counterfeit bill, even if you don't know that it's fake ahead of time. The guy thought he was being cute, just like all the other that say the same thing.

I mean, I kinda feel sorry for the guy for getting screwed by someone else since I doubt an actual counterfeiter would be dumb enough to (even jokingly) admit that they did it while someone was actually testing one of their bills. At the same time, I now use it as a cautionary comment when some dumbass makes that joke.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                *snip*

DH is guilty of the lame jokes (maybe not so much the money printing, but others (no price tag, must be free, etc). I don't think it's ever occurred to him that cashiers hear these all the time, he's just trying to be friendly, rather than go thru the line in silence. Hope he hasn't pissed off too many cashiers, he's really a nice guy.
                I heard those a fair amount during my (so far) brief time behind a cash register. I just took them as an attempt to make chitchat or be friendly (or mildly funny). Personally, I'd rather listen to lame, repetitious jokes for a month than have to deal with SCs for five minutes. Just my though.

Comment

How I used to LOATHE people who didn't want to wait to pay for their even amount of gas or whatever. Oh, the many times a huge rush would clear out and there were random 10 or 20 dollar bills just laying on the ends of the counters, if not that, there were people that had whistled or yelled at me or just tried to shove money at me while I was waiting on others. Yeah, you saw how busy it was when you got here, you can wait your turn or leave.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I was at a local pre-pay only gas station recently when a SC walks in throws a few bills on the counter and walks out. The clerk ignores it.

I look out the window and see the SC angrily hitting the (i presume) grade selection button in the pump. A few minutes later he storms in

SC: how hard it is to make my pump work!? *shaking money*
                    C: Which one?
                    SC: Three! *throws money on the counter*

The clerk puts it in and the SC gets his gas and peels out a few minutes later.

Comment

Working...
                    X