This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with dates and time

I have worked at several hotels over the years and there is always a certain number of guests who don't understand the simple concept of check in dates and times.

Most hotels allow you to start checking in by 3pm. Normal checkout time is 11 am or noon. This means you can rent a room for up to 20 hours and pay for one night. Why is this so hard to understand? I would always get these people who choose to check in late at night and insist on staying past checkout time. Is it my fault you chose to arrive at 3am? I checked in a guest last night at 1am and when told he had to be out by 11am he told me why, I am checking in so late. Ugghhhhhhh!!!!! You chose your own check in time.

And then there is the concept of date. We all know the date officially changes at midnight. One minute past 12 is technically the next day. But really as far as checking into your hotel room you can arrive late (see above) and still be charged for a night. Even if you arrive at 5am on a late flight and checkout at normal checkout time of 11am you will be charged for one night for 6 hours of sleep. I always get these people who insist that since the date changed they should not get charged for their first night's stay. Yes, it is the next day but if you don't want to pay for the night then arrive at 3pm like everyone else. I would actually get people arguing with me over this.

This is one reason I'm glad I don't work night audit (can't, schedule conflict ). Yes, it may technically be the morning of the 22nd by the calendar, but it's still the night of the 21st. Which is what's important when you're needing to buy/sell "room nights" (that's what hotels sell).

What I just love is when someone knows they will checking in at, say, 1am on the 22nd, so rather than make their res for the night of the 21st, they make it for the night of the 22nd, and then get pissed when we're sell out the night of the 21st and have no room for them.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I really don't understand how this concept is so hard to understand. People will do anything to get out of paying more/trying to get what they think is their money's worth.
      My Crafting Profile http://www.craftster.org/forum/index...ofile;u=139859

Comment

When my boyfriend and I checked in at like 4 in the morning one Saturday morning we were also gonna be staying Saturday night so we paid for 2 nights without fuss. But then we aren't sucky customers. ^_^
        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Thankfully, I never had anyone insist that they were only staying one night because of a late check-in.

I did have one guy show up at 6:45 AM, go upstairs and take a shower, and then check out again at 8 AM. World's most expensive shower!

Comment

Ok, I know you guys will hate me for saying this, but I CAN see the logic in it -IF- you don't know how hotels work. Also, from a customer's viewpoint it does really suck to have to pay for two nights when you think you're just doing a super early check-in or something like that.

That being said, there is NO excuse to argue with the poor clerk. She has no control over the fact that you did not check ahead of time what policies are. Also, once they tell you how things work, discussion over. There is no more to argue, as she is not lying to you in order to get more money out of your hands. Every other customer has to pay this much, so do you.

For example, this next week I will be going to Vegas for an interview and I arrive on Monday night and then I am staying through Thursday night. I am leaving Thursday night, but I will need the hotel WAY past checkout time, so therefor I have to pay for that night as well. I won't be using it past 7 pm, so I personally think it sucks that I have to pay for it, but also I totally understand it. I understand that housekeeping won't be there to clean the room after I leave around 7 so the hotel won't be able to use the room, so therefore I pay. On the other hand, I know the hotel I'm staying out won't sell out and probably wouldn't even need to room anyway, so I wish they would be extra super nice to me and not make me pay, but woe is me. It's only like $40 a night anyway with my fiance's military discount. I'll shut up now.
            Last edited by notlovinit; 10-22-2011, 06:04 PM. Reason: adding more stuff

Comment

Much of the traveling I've done in recent years has been on red-eyes. I often have gotten to my destination before 10 am. In those cases, I will go to my hotel, and ask (VERY politely) "Is there a possibility of an early check-in?" Sometimes they have a room ready and, since I asked politely, they are gracious enough to let me check in many hours early.

BUT.

I never insist. And I am always prepared to accept "sorry, we don't have anything ready" as an answer. (To which I will normally ask if there is bell service so I can at least check in my luggage.) And since I go out of my way to be nice, the hotel clerks will often go out of their way to accommodate me.

The secret I've found? Treat people like people, and they will respond in kind. And be understanding. (This works both ways, of course.)
              I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
                Much of the traveling I've done in recent years has been on red-eyes. I often have gotten to my destination before 10 am. In those cases, I will go to my hotel, and ask (VERY politely) "Is there a possibility of an early check-in?" Sometimes they have a room ready and, since I asked politely, they are gracious enough to let me check in many hours early.
                Another thing that helps: call the hotel on your way over and ask nicely in advance. Even if housekeeping hasn't arrived yet, if I'm MOD and there's a room vacant and I know someone is on their way wanting it, I'll go out and clean it before housekeeping arrives so it will be ready when the guest arrives.
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth Cai1987 View Post
                  Thankfully, I never had anyone insist that they were only staying one night because of a late check-in.

I did have one guy show up at 6:45 AM, go upstairs and take a shower, and then check out again at 8 AM. World's most expensive shower!
                  I've been on trips before where I would be very willing to pay $70 or so for two hours with a clean bathroom - with a flushing toilet that you can use t.p. in and hot water for the shower. With doors and a ceiling too - bliss.

Comment

Quoth figgyx View Post
                    I
                    And then there is the concept of date. We all know the date officially changes at midnight. One minute past 12 is technically the next day. But really as far as checking into your hotel room you can arrive late (see above) and still be charged for a night. Even if you arrive at 5am on a late flight and checkout at normal checkout time of 11am you will be charged for one night for 6 hours of sleep. I always get these people who insist that since the date changed they should not get charged for their first night's stay. Yes, it is the next day but if you don't want to pay for the night then arrive at 3pm like everyone else. I would actually get people arguing with me over this.
                    I get this ALL THE TIME! I work on night audit so I have heard this argument more than once. I just have to let them know it's still the night of the previous day. I get the cheapskates that walk out when I tell them this, but they're the sucky ones. You know, the ones I don't want at the hotel!
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I almost always luck out and get early checkins, but I am well aware that hotels have a set checkin time and if I have to wait, so be it. It's not rocket science...
                      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                      X