Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hay is wrong with you people?

I did the local Saturday Market today, and made NOTHING. I had a few sales, but just barely enough to break even. (Okay, I would have had a tiny profit, but I bought lunch and a slice of cheesecake. Half the reason I even do the market is I love the food there, don't judge me.) Anyway. I sold ONE lousy pair of ears on a headband. JUST ONE. No costume tails at all. Not even the cheap kiddie tails.

Look, people, I SELL COSTUME STUFF, and it is the WEEK BEFORE HALLOWEEN. What is wrong with you all? Seriously, what? I can sell six or seven times this much on a random day in July, but I can't can't sell any COSTUMES during October? Because last week blew and the week before that wasn't great either!

That's not actually sucky, though, just annoying. The actual suck is something I am getting heartily sick of.

If you think my stuff is fun, but can't afford it, that's fine. Try on a pair of ears. Pet the woolly slugs. Hold up a tail to your butt and see how you look. ONCE. Or maybe twice. But FOR FRICK'S SAKE you do not need to handle, fondle, caress, try on, and play with every single item at my booth if you're not going to buy any of it! You're adding wear to this stuff and some of it is actually WEARING OUT before I can sell it! GAH!

I am not here for your entertainment! I am here to MAKE MONEY. So if you're going to spend half an hour blocking my traffic and playing with every goddam thing I've brought, BUY SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by spark; 10-24-2011, 12:55 AM.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Quoth spark View Post
    I did the local Saturday Market today, and made NOTHING. I had a few sales, but just barely enough to break even. (Okay, I would have had a tiny profit, but I bought lunch and a slice of cheesecake. Half the reason I even do the market is I love the food there, don't judge me.) Anyway. I sold ONE lousy pair of ears on a headband. JUST ONE. No costume tails at all. Not even the cheap kiddie tails.
    Sounds like your market is full of either people who buy their Halloween way in advance, or the "grab a costume at the red bullseye" bunch. they don't recognize quality when they see it.

I can identify with your frustration. Hubby & I decided last weekend to do the once-a-month Antiques & Collector's Market here. He's been out of work a while, so to be frank, we need the money. Plus, I have a ton of stuff I've been wanting to thin out, nice vintage china & stuff, things I just don't have room for, things I have too many of - I love garage sales, I love vintage, I love nice china etc, and I love bargains. The amount of space I have rarely enters the equation if the other variables are met
    So we go out, with a table full of 40's vintage gorgeous teacups, English china, vintage Christmas ornaments, even some old Halloween stuff. We didn't even sell enough to pay for the table And tables are not terribly expensive there, either. Wasn't my prices, very few people even picked anything up to look at a price. People on either side were first-timers too, and they did horrible as well. And they had nice stuff too. I swear, the only people who seemed to be doing any good were the ones selling stuff that looked like it'd been rusting in a barn for several years.

Personally, I blame American Pickers & such - everyone wants to look like they've just personally "picked" thru a shed in the middle of nowhere for their living room decor
    Last edited by protege; 10-23-2011, 03:31 PM. Reason: Quote tag :)

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

....woolly slugs? I don't know what those are, but they sound adorable!
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

bhskittykatt, spoken like a true northwesterner, I was thinking the same thing. Spark what is this woolly slug?
        "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Those are woolly slugs. They're flat little critters, and they'll curl up under your hand if you pet them just right. I make them from scraps and sell them for $1-2 so that kids can have something affordable, since most of the stuff at my booth is $15 and up, and kids don't usually have that much money.
          The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
            ....woolly slugs? I don't know what those are, but they sound adorable!
            Quoth spark View Post
            [img]Those are woolly slugs.
            And they are adorable. I wish I could try petting one .

Comment

I like those, They look cuddly.

Comment

I want to pet one! So cute!
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

full of 40's vintage gorgeous teacups,
                  Oh my god. I love love love teacups. You're not anywhere near Los Angeles, are you?

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                    And they are adorable.
                    you should see her caterpillars....I am fortunate enough to have one on my desk, it's quite cuddly......
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth spark View Post

Those are woolly slugs. They're flat little critters, and they'll curl up under your hand if you pet them just right. I make them from scraps and sell them for $1-2 so that kids can have something affordable, since most of the stuff at my booth is $15 and up, and kids don't usually have that much money.
                      OMG I've got one of those! Well, sorta....It's gotta be over 40 years old....dark brown, with the googly eyes, and it has a pin on the back so you can wear it. I've had it since I was a little kid. Yours are adorable, I love the colors. If I'd been there, I would have bought one.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Half the people who come by my booth talk about having one of these as a kid! But I have never been able to find anything at all out about the old ones. Do you happen to know what they were called?

Comment

Now that you mention it I think I had one too, but alas, I don't remember what they were called then, either
                          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Frankly a large problem is that a number of kids are going trick-or-treating without wearing a costume.

And I tried to tell them "no costume, no candy. This ain't no charity." but their mothers get in a pissy bitch fit when I do that.

Yes, a child remembered my house address and reported it back to his mother.

How DARE I not give their special little angel a fun-sized chocolate bar?

I told her...

1. Your special little angel looks to be in junior high, maybe a freshman in High School at the outside. While I do not mind handing out candy to High School Seniors, I do require them to be in costume.

2. This is no @#$%ing charity. I do this out of the goodness of my own heart and I do not think it unreasonable to ask that I be entertained by seeing kids running around in silly clothes and acting like goof balls. That's the only fun *I* as an adult am socially and legally allowed to have unless I go to a party and sadly none of my friends throw those sorts of parties.
                            I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

I'm with you, Mongo. No costume, no candy. And, I'm about to impose a restriction on those who are teens in "lame" costumes. I hate those teenagers who come with just some white makeup on their faces with some red painted on for "blood" and won't even look at you, but hold out a pillowcase and expect goodies. Really? Get a clue. /rant
                              "Imagine that. Human souls, trapped like flies in the World Wide Web, stuck forever, crying out for help."-The Doctor
                              "Isn't that basically Twitter?"-Clara

Comment

Working...
                              X