Me: "Front desk."
    SC: "Yeah, I have the TV on and I'm trying to watch a game."
    Me: "Okay...."
    SC: "...."
    Me: "...."
    SC: "...."
    Me: "....aaaand is something wrong with the TV?"
    SC: *sighs* "Yeah, it says it's blocked."
    Me: *thinking* Now that wasn't so hard, was it?
    Me: "Okay, which channel is it?"
    SC: *annoyed sigh* "Erm....channel 14."
    Me: "Okay, can you read to me exactly what it say on the screen?"
    SC: *exasperated sigh* "Um.....it just says blocked."
    Me: *thinking*Yes, but what exactly does it say? Read it to me!
    Me: "Okay, well let me call Boss Man and see if he can reset the channel."
    SC: "Goddammit...." *exasperated sigh* "...okay."

The whole time, this guy just sounded pissed. Every time I tried to wrangle information from him to find out what was wrong, he would sigh and act like it was a huge inconvenience answering my inquiries.

I called Boss Man, thinking the channel just needs resetting, since sometimes that happens. He called back and says that the channel is working fine, but the game was being blocked because they're not allowed to broadcast in our area. I don't really understand why (I don't have TV at home, so don't ask me about these things!) but it was something clearly out of our control.

I tried to call SC back, but his line was busy.

A few minutes later, SC called me.

SC: "......." *no acknowledgement*
    Me: "......."
    SC: "......."
    Me: ".....well, I talked to Boss Man, and *explains situation*."
    SC: "Are you serious?"
    Me: "I'm sorry, but it is out of our control."
    SC: *exasperated sigh*
    Me: "However, I can refer you to [sports bar up the street]. They may have access to the broadcast."

Fortunately, he seemed fairly happy with that suggestion. I think so, anyways. He wasn't exactly the most talkative, so it's difficult to say...

It's a smoking conspiracy!

Guest comes up to my desk pissed off.

SC: *in a very accusatory tone* "Yeah, so is there a reason [nonsmoking room] smells like smoke every time I walk in there?"
    Me: "That is a nonsmoking room. I'm very sorry if it smells smokey."
    SC: *glares*
    Me: "Unfortunately, I am booked tonight. I can however offer you a 10% discount and the use of some air freshener."
    SC: "Great. I need something!"

I hand him some air freshener, which he investigates carefully. We don't have air freshener like you buy in the store -- we buy our chemicals in bulk concentrate, and mix them into spray bottles. And they're from a commercial vendor, so the labels are very text-y without all the pretty pictures like you see in the store. I had to assure him a few times it worked just like Febreeze.

SC: "And you've taken care of that discount, right?
    Me: "Actually, I'll need the credit card you paid with, and I'll have you sign something."
    SC: *grumbles and pulls out card*
    Me: "So...it's $13 and some change, so I'll round it up to $14 for you."
    SC: "Whatever."

A few things, sir. (1) It's not some big conspiracy to piss you off by putting you in a room that smells like smoke. It's a nonsmoking room. Unfortunately, some other guests don't respect that, and despite our best deep-cleaning efforts, the smell can come back. It gets into the carpets and mattresses and is a royal pain to eliminate. And furthermore, (2) You checked in yesterday. It's been over 24-hours since you've been in the room. If it smelled smokey the first night, and you let us know, you know, like first thing in the morning when we still had other availability, then we could have moved you, or at least deep-cleaned and ozoned the room, and fixed things. But you decide to keep your mouth shut until you're thoroughly pissed off, and at that point it's too late to really do much about it. Next time, if you're not happy with the room, speak up earlier and let us know!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
    the game was being blocked because they're not allowed to broadcast in our area. I don't really understand why (I don't have TV at home, so don't ask me about these things!) but it was something clearly out of our control.
    The basic idea is this: Let's say you are in Seattle, and the NFL team, Seattle Seahawks, didn't sell out its stadium tickets. Usually, this means the football game will not be broadcast in its immediate marketing area (Seattle-Tacoma) because it serves as an incentive to sell stadium tickets, which is really the best way the franchise makes money.

In other words, it's totally out of your control, and is a decision that's made by either the league or the franchise itself, not totally sure which one. This guy probably won't even be able to watch the game in a sports bar, and the best bet is he leaves town for an area that will have the game broadcast (most likely the city of the visiting team).
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
      The basic idea is this: Let's say you are in Seattle, and the NFL team, Seattle Seahawks, didn't sell out its stadium tickets. Usually, this means the football game will not be broadcast in its immediate marketing area (Seattle-Tacoma) because it serves as an incentive to sell stadium tickets, which is really the best way the franchise makes money.

In other words, it's totally out of your control, and is a decision that's made by either the league or the franchise itself, not totally sure which one. This guy probably won't even be able to watch the game in a sports bar, and the best bet is he leaves town for an area that will have the game broadcast (most likely the city of the visiting team).
      That makes some sense. Thank you for explaining it to me!
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

No, no, no! Anytime an SC is even slightly inconvenienced, it's a conspiracy! Didn't you know that?

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
          ... it's a conspiracy! Didn't you know that?
          Two or more persons is a conspiracy.
          Three or more persons is a riot.

... starts when you're always afraid. Step out of line the man come and take you away ...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post

... starts when you're always afraid. Step out of line the man come and take you away ...
            Paranoia strikes deep ... Into your life it will creep ...

Love that song.

Comment

Me, too. Stop. children, what's that sound? Everybody stop and look around....
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

... I saw Buffalo Springfield in '68 ... with H.P. Lovecraft & The Youngbloods.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post

ooh, one of my all-time favourite songs

Madness takes it's toll....
                  Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post

Or certain companies have exclusive rights to air the game. (*cough*Comcast*cough*)

Comment

What a field day for the heat...a thousand people in the street...(hmmm, kinda seems timely these days too!)
                      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Actually, the sports bar probably would have it. I knew the guy who worked the equipment at the local Damon's before it shut down, and they had a sports package through the satalite dish that wasn't covered by the blackout rules for whatever reason. It was a big pull for them that they could show the local team's games even if they were playing at home to a non-sellout crowd.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                          A few minutes later, SC called me.

SC: "......." *no acknowledgement*
                          Me: "......."
                          SC: "......."
                          Me: (holding phone slightly away from mouth) "Must be another malfunction. Nobody on the other end. *click*

Comment

Working...
                          X