This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The tale of the fake $100 bills.

So this story requires a bit of background. I'll make it short. Twice in the past few months we have had people pass (or try to pass) counterfeit $100 bills. And these fakes are the best any of us have seen. First time a guy took my former coworker (she quit shortly after) for $300. He bought a $300 gift card with 3 fake $100's. A few weeks later a guy came up to my register with $400 in fakes trying to buy a $400 gift card. /end background

Today a guy comes up to my register with a $25 gift card. He pulls out a $100. I mark it with the pen and it passes but when I hold it to the light it's really suspect. So I call my store manager. She looks at it, marks it, and ok's it. I hesitate and ask her to hold it to the light but she says it's ok.
    I make note of the time.
    An hour later one of the assistant managers comes for my pickup and cash count (standard end of shift stuff) and before the register even pops open I tell him 'I have a $100 bill in my register that I'm not sure is real. The only reason I took it was cause <store manager> ok'd it.'
    He says 'Ok.'
    Drawer pops open for the pickup.
    Cue assistant manager: Yeah, this is fake.
    Me: I was afraid so.

He finishes the pickup and cash count while periodically looking at the fake bill trying not to second guess himself.

I go finish my end of shift stuff and go to the office to clock out. In the office is the store manager (at the security camera console) and the assistant manager (comparing the fake with one of the two real $100).
    SM: Do you remember what time you took that $100.
    Me: Yup. I made a note to myself. It was around 1:45.
    SM goes through the footage of one of the cameras and I notice the guy right away.
    Me: Yup that's him. I specifically remember that he was wearing <exactly specific shirt>.
    SM: Well we have a really good image of his face.
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Oooh, keep us informed of this likely up and coming saga. He has to be really stupid to continue to do the same scam at the same store even though it's very likely you've caught the fakes after the fact.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Idk if it's the same guy all three times. The first dude was wearing a hood, the second dude was on camera at the main register (a very obvious camera as there's a moniter that people can see themselves in), and the third was also at the main register.
      But yeah I'll post updates as we get them.
      (We've called the police every time, I believe they got any images that we had as well.)

Comment

The big thing these days is to bleach a lower denomination bill so you have the paper with the strip in it. The best way to catch these is with an UV light - each strip glows a different color based on the denomination. (I don't know the colors off hand, they are on the treasury's web site though.) If the color doesn't match the amount, you have your man.

BTW, those pens are only about 50% accurate - they can be fooled by the paper's starch content. I wouldn't rely on them. The UV scanner is closer to 100% accurate - but then again, as you said, they are getting better all the time.
        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Wish the SM would have listened to you >.<

Glad you have his face on video! I hope they catch him.

Comment

The pens don't always work!

ALWAYS hold it up to the light!!!
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

How good? Could you feel the texture of the president's clothing, and did it have watermarks? Just wondering how the guy did such a good job. Think it was printed over a smaller bill?
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Becks
                The pens don't always work!

ALWAYS hold it up to the light!!!
                Oh I do. And I get sooo many comments about how 'oh it better not be fake I got it from the bank!' *growls* Dumb customers.

@Slayer: I wish SM would have listened to me too. And yeah I hope they catch the guy(s).

Comment

Quoth LillFilly
                  How good? Could you feel the texture of the president's clothing, and did it have watermarks? Just wondering how the guy did such a good job. Think it was printed over a smaller bill?
                  It wasn't printed over another bill. I know cause the face watermark was there BUT it was off. Like the edges of the face were weird and the whole watermark seemed a bit dull or faded. And it felt close enough that without a cursory glance someone not paying attention would pass it. And it did pass the pen (with flying colors) which is why my SM passed it.

Comment

Very high-end forgery there. You might want to ask the assistant manager if there was anything special that clued him in.

Comment

I would advise all businesses to research these "counterfeit detecting pens." From what I've read, they're scams just like the fake bills.

Comment

I'd heard about people getting fakes FROM THE BANK. Then finding out and bank won't make it right. When it was happening locally I cashed a check and made the bank do the pen thing on them and checked water marks. Make them feel like they have to prove to me it's good, just like they do to us.
                        GFY

Comment

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post
                          I would advise all businesses to research these "counterfeit detecting pens." From what I've read, they're scams just like the fake bills.
                          What the pens do is tell you that the paper that the bill is printed on is the special paper that is used for US currency. They do nothing to tell you what denomination bill it should be, which is why there is a holographic strip with that information embedded into the bill.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Counterfeit detecting pens, while not a scam, are not 100% accurate. They will only detect fake bills that are not printed on the same material as real bills. I believe a few pens are also designed to change color if they are used on bills that have traces of chemicals commonly used to "bleach" bills so that they can be re-printed with higher dollar amounts on them, but that is rare. It is usually best not to use just one method to verify whether or not a bill is genuine.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              What the pens do is tell you that the paper that the bill is printed on is the special paper that is used for US currency. They do nothing to tell you what denomination bill it should be, which is why there is a holographic strip with that information embedded into the bill.

^-.-^
                              Pretty much this...

heck one of the other ways is textures (Gran and Jackson's Lapels, Franklin's hair)

And new 100s are coming out soon... with a nice metallic strip from what I've seen... kinda like the Canadian 5 I found.

Comment

Working...
                              X