This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obnoxious Idiot

I had this women come through my line today that was just being a complete b**ch today. She brings up a pair of $24.99 reading glasses and loudly screams those are supposed to be $9.99. I knew she was wrong but I called our floor staff person and asked her to help the customer find the glasses that were supposed to be $9.99. There were no actual glasses on sale for $9.99. There were accessories for $9.99. My co-worker explains this to her. She explains the prices and helps the customer find two pairs of $24.99 glasses that are buy one get one half off. The screamer gets back in line. Hands me one of the two pairs and starts screaming at me that they should be buy 1 get 1 half off. She will not give me the 2nd pair of glasses to scan and has decided to start swearing at me and calling me stupid because she would not give me the 2nd item to scan. I got sick of listening to her tirade so I just scanned the item I had in my hand already as the 2nd pair. She would not shut-up and pay for her stuff. I was getting a line that included some kids so I called for a manager. The SM responds to my page. She calmly tells the customer this is your total how do you wish to pay. This customer still will not shut up. I stepped over and just let my boss deal with her. My co-worker who was trying to help her on the floor could hear her screaming and had already started ringing up other customers on our back-up register. She finally throws a credit card at my manager so the transaction gets done. I really had to bite my tongue with this one because I wanted to tell her that I can not ring up items I do not have and that she should learn how to read.

After she leaves our Assistant Store manager comes up to me and lets me know to page him immediately if I ever see this customer again. He will ban her from the store if she comes back and acts like that again.

I later found out that she had also cussed out the photo supervisor in Spanish when my floor co-worker asked him for help because it seemed like maybe she did not understand English. I was too busy trying to get rid of the customer to notice that our photo technician had already warned the SM about how she treated him. I will definitely let the Assistant Store Manager tell her off if she comes back. He had told the manager she might want to go up front. I guess she thought I would be able to get the customer to calm down. Most of the time I can but this one was impossible.

manager should have banned her there and then

Comment

We Reserve The Right to REFUSE Service, now GTFO of my store.
      GFY

Comment

Quoth MiloMorai View Post
        We Reserve The Right to REFUSE Service, now GTFO of my store.
        QFT.
        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

She sounds a lot like the woman I just talked about recently, who was counterproductive, yelled incoherently over a sale price, and finally threw the money on the counter after behaving like a buffoon.
          Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
          Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
          Fiancee: What?!
          Me: Nevermind.

Comment

I was talking with the SM today at work. She thinks this customer may have also had some mental issues.

Comment

Quoth retailworker7 View Post
              She brings up a pair of $24.99 reading glasses ....... I really had to bite my tongue with this one because I wanted to tell her that I can not ring up items I do not have and that she should learn how to read.
              Maybe she couldn't see the prices cause she'd broken her regular reading glasses? I'd have cut her some slack for getting things wrong (I've had to try to read little price tags without my reading glasses a few times, it can be impossible). But only if she'd behaved herself and acted like a proper human being not some harpy from H*ll. Nope, no justification for acting like that without either a written statement from doctor/psychiatrist (in which case she needs a new one that can find her some better-working meds ) or proof she has a bomb strapped onto her body by someoe who told her he'd blow everyone up remotely unless she screeched the place to a halt

Madness takes it's toll....
              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Customer talks to me that way, I will nicely ask them not to talk to me that way, and I think you (and every other employee in the world) should have that right as human beings. I would've been very tempted to tell her that now she will not get service from me. Customer doesn't like it? Tough shit. I won't be treated like that. My hat (if I had one) goes off to you because you put up with a whole lot more than I would've.
                See, this is why I like the movie theatre I worked at about 11 years back or so. Someone crosses the line, we can refuse them service. Sorry, but I'm not about to put up with your fucking crap just cuz you are the high and mighty customer and we gotta kiss your stupid ass just to make a sale and keep your business.
                Why don't all stores black list these people? Because the economy is bad and they don't wanna lose the sale? Because of manager morons who believe "the customer is always right?" no matter what? If all stores did this, trust me, these assholes wouldn't be able to shop anywhere anymore, and they will change their tune. They won't have a choice if they want to be able to go somewhere and shop.
                Last edited by BowserKoopa1; 10-27-2011, 04:33 AM.

Comment

I do understand the price tags for items can be confusing. I do not think this was the case with this person. For one a family member was with her that could clearly understand English. When her mom started screaming about the price and I told her that I would get someone to check the price and help her pick out another pair of glasses the family member asked if I could void the transaction to ring her up. I would have done that anyway since our registers do not have a suspend function. The family member disappeared after I rang up her items and thanked me for getting someone to help her mom. This women did not seem to wait for her mom and honestly seemed like she was trying to run away from the situation.

This women was all talk and I never felt like there was any physical threat. She was obnoxious and rude. Neither my boss or I had ever seen this person. I had never seen either one of them before. If this had been a customer that we recognized she would have been thrown out. There was no point in escalating things with a customer with obvious mental issues.

Besides our Assistant Store Manager actually truly enjoys telling rude obnoxious customers to take a hike. He has been with the company for a while and does not get in trouble for it. The store manager is more likely to get in trouble for that type of behavior. If she had not been able to get this women to leave pretty quickly then she would have told the customer to leave and involved the police if needed.

Comment

In the UK

Almost all stores now have (supposedly) a zero tolerance policy for abusive customers.

Store workers can refuse service if they are being abused or feel threatened in any way.

This seems to have sprung up all over the country and whilst some people have criticised the move "(Why do they think I'm going to be abusive? Those mistrusting f#@ing bastards)," most people are okay and hopefully, it cuts down on the amount of crap SCs give store workers.
                    There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Comment

Working...
                    X