This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from Callcentra (long)

Last month I began working for an insurance call canter. I have dubbed this land Callcentra, ruled over by the majestic winged platypus, we who hold the great Call Center Cthuhlu within out hearts and seek out the Deeply Annoyed Ones only in times of greatest technical need. These are selected tales from the last month.

There is no lab there

Back in training I received a call from a provider who demanded to know where her frame had gone. She'd sent it in to a lab to have lenses put into it and it was never to be seen again.

BSL: Bitchy Southern Lady
    SK: resident of callcentra

BSL: But I sent it using one of y'all's labels!
    SK: I understand ma'am. You sent it to our distribution warehouse. Not our lab.
    BSL: But it was y'all's label!

(Rinse repeat for about 20 minutes)

SK: Ok ma'am, continuing to yell at me is not going to solve the problem. I understand it was a label we sent you, I'm having new correct ones shipped, that's all I can do.

BSL: I'm not paying for a new frame! Ya'll lost it! It went to somewhere YOU own and YOU will personally find it!

For the record I am in New York. She wanted me personally to look in an office building in Texas. For a frame she lost over a month ago. I finally get a manager to approve buying her a new one since it'd be cheaper than my airfare. After confirming (I kid you not 16 times) that she wouldn't be charged she hung up.

The amazing time traveling auth

Oh for the love of Cthuhlu. Poor woman just wanted to place an order. Somehow the authorization she got on October 20 expired on October 11. I suspect shoggoths.

Thus the presence of Cthuhlu is confirmed

Provider called, the patient's invoice numbers got swapped. Somehow brother A ended up with brother B's glasses and visa versa. Ok no problem, providers just handed the correct brother the glasses with the right prescription and moved on with life.

Then brother A needed a redo. So they found the file with brother A's name on it and called in the order. Except the order attached to that had brother B's prescription and order information. So they got a second pair of glasses for brother B. They had sent us brother A's frame, which (not having an invoice for) was recycled.

Provider calls to inform us of this TWO MONTHS after calling in the redo. Now I get to untangle what has been done. I can not. I call a supervisor and hand the job off after half an hour of detective work trying to determine what happened.

Return of BSL

BSL: I talked to ya'll a week ago and you said you were going to do xyz!

SK: :: No ma'am we're going to do x, like I told you, a week ago. I was the rep you dealt with last time.

BSL: Well I'm not getting charged for that frame! Y'all lost it! It's your fault!

SK: I know ma'am. Again you're not being charged. We're eating the cost.

BSL: I used y'all's labels! I don't know why you can't just find my frame.

She hung up praise the Deep Ones.

Defect

If there's one thing I hate it's telling someone they're out of warranty for something. The sheer amount of yelling isn't worth explaining how 'no I can't make an exception for you' does not translate into 'you are only worthy of an exception if you scream loud enough.'

Take for an example Drill Mount Lady.

DML called in a redo on a drill mount frame (arms and nose piece screwed directly to the lens). The problem is she was trying to call a redo on something that we had to be informed of within 10 days of the start of warranty. Namely shoddy lab work. Since we expect you to look at your glasses before you give them to the patient and all that. These glasses were bought in July. At this point they're only covered if they actually break the glasses.

She doesn't like this answer of course. It is unacceptable. This is not a problem that would turn up in 10 days, it is one that happens as the patient wears the glasses. We know this lady, that's why we tell you not to recommend drilled frames. They fall apart. That's why our company doesn't make them. If you insist we'll put lenses in them, but we won't insure the frame. We know it's crap.

She is then banished to the eternal purgatory of insanity known as hold to await review by a supervisor. She then hangs up. I think this is the end of it.

Not so fast. She calls again the next day. She does not realize she's speaking to the same rep. Apparently the night before I promised to not only
    A. have the frames re-done out of warranty
    but also B. Refund the patient part or all of the copay for the inconvenience.

*Cackles*

SK: Ma'am this is the same rep you spoke to last night. I did not promise any of those things. I am telling you the same thing I told you last night.

DML: *click*

That's it for now. I need sleep. There are more, I'll get to them eventually.
    Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Quoth shankyknitter View Post
    Oh for the love of Cthuhlu. Poor woman just wanted to place an order. Somehow the authorization she got on October 20 expired on October 11. I suspect shoggoths.
    Unless it responds to the name Mr. Trashbags, we're going to need flamethrowers and a piccolo to handle it.

I prefer Nyarlathotep, myself. Cthuhlu's a bit lazy--he's almost always ftagn-ing, but N gets things done, by gum! You may not understand what he's done, but things are done! Much like one of my bosses at the amusement park back in the 90's, actually. <mulls>
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Oh, I love waiting off reminding them you're the same person they dealt with last time... Until they dig themselves a deep enough hole that is
      Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
      What's the difference?
      We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Drill Mount Lady
        if she's yelling perhaps she could also be called Drill Mouth Lady...

just making me think of drill sgts who can really yell lol

Comment

I hope you can note accounts so she doesn't try and trick someone else.
          There had to be DUMB in the water today. - Summerfly413

Comment

Working...
          X