This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some more hotel horror stories

In the 20 or so years I have worked night audit at various hotels I think I have seen it all. I have submitted several accounts of people behaving badly so I thought I would do another.

One night security found two guys in the hotel kitchen making their own grilled cheese sandwiches. What???!!!! Why do people think they can do whatever they want.

One time we had a women try to check in with a credit card and it was declined. Her second card was declined and yet again her third card was declined. The auditor who was trying to check her in had already handed her a keycard so when the woman walked away mad we made another key for the room (which cancels out the first one) Sure enough security found the key laying outside of the room. This woman had actually tried going up to the room anyway.

Speaking of credit cards - we had a 16 year old girl try checking in one night with her dad's card. The clerk got suspicious so after taking down the guest's address and phone number she went in the back and called the dad. He was surprised his daughter was there and said we should check her in to hold her there - because (get this) the dad called the cops and had her arrested. I walked into work that night at 11pm to a lobby full of kids and the cops. What a night that was.

I had a woman at another hotel check in. She asked if we had saved her a really good room considering her husband was a member of the rewards club. I said we had not because the reservation had been made in her name and the rewards number was not on the reservation. Boy did she go crazy. She kept insisting this was not true despite the evidence in front of me. After the initial yelling was over we looked at what rooms were available and I knew that there would be more yelling. The only rooms we had left were near ice machines or elevators. Yep, she went crazy some more. Finally, we found an acceptable room. She and her hubbie go up to the room only to return a few minutes later because the sink wa leaking. They left swearing they would never be back (promise?)

When one hotel I worked at decided to make all the rooms non smoking we had a few complaints but most applauded our efforts. One night I had a noise complaint about one of our suites and when I went up to the room to give the warning I found the room full of kids and yep they were sitting in the hot tub smoking. Why????? Dumbasses got charged 250 bucks for that.

We had some guests leave burning candles in room and go down to dinner. Something fell on one of the candles and started a small fire. Yikes.

Who needs horror stories of axe-weilding psychos or haunted houses when you got ones like these to share around the camp fire?

-huddles in sleeping bag and hogs all the mashmellows-
    Sucky Employees = The result of sucky customers getting a job...

Comment

OMG, I found a guy in our hotel's kitchen too; his argument was that the doors only said 'kitchen' they didn't say 'employees only' so how was he to know? Riiiight, I think that's kind of implied!

I found a room that smelled of cigarette smoke (it comes out under the door and I could track it) and it was early enough that the front desk called the room. The woman argued that, yes, she was smoking, but only in the bathroom Well, that's pared of the room, so she got that nice fee tacked-on because she admitted it to us! (smarter people would lay a towel under the door to trap the smoke; that was a tip-off too because I couldn't push the morning paperwork under the door, so I'd use my pen to move the towel aside and smelled the smoke.) What do you think makes hotel guests so selfish???

Did you ever have people that propped their room doors open and then bitched when some random person wandered in that security wasn't doing their job? Riiiight...
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Kudos to dad for arresting daughter for unauthorized use of a credit card. That was a lesson she sorely needed to learn.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Iseeyouthere View Post
          Who needs horror stories of axe-weilding psychos or haunted houses when you got ones like these to share around the camp fire?

-huddles in sleeping bag and hogs all the mashmellows-
          I'd be willing to bet more people have been killed or injured by stupidity than all the psychos that ever lived.
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

The guys making the grilled cheese are practically model customers! At least they were using kitchen facilities instead of going all Benny and Joon and using the iron.

Comment

For some reason I'm now picturing a bunch of night auditors huddled around a campfire while another one tells the story in Spooky Tremolo Voice.

Storyteller: "And they refuUused to shoOow I-DeEeEe!"
              Night Auditors: (screaming in terror)
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                Kudos to dad for arresting daughter for unauthorized use of a credit card. That was a lesson she sorely needed to learn.
                I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to totally be a parent like that.
                By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I'm on the give dad props bandwagon for having the daughter arrested to teach her a lesson in credit card fraud. I just wonder how some people can be so dumb to do stuff that'll rack up charges on their card/bill when they're in a hotel.
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth figgyx View Post
                    Speaking of credit cards - we had a 16 year old girl try checking in one night with her dad's card. The clerk got suspicious so after taking down the guest's address and phone number she went in the back and called the dad. He was surprised his daughter was there and said we should check her in to hold her there - because (get this) the dad called the cops and had her arrested. I walked into work that night at 11pm to a lobby full of kids and the cops. What a night that was.
                    Hah! Good on him

Comment

Quoth figgyx View Post
                      We had some guests leave burning candles in room and go down to dinner. Something fell on one of the candles and started a small fire. Yikes.
                      I didn't witness this, but at Other MOD's old motel, there was some spiritualist group conference in town and the guests left candles burning in their rooms, and got PISSED when the housekeepers extinguished the candles. They were told in no uncertain terms that they would NOT be leaving lit candles in the room and if that wasn't acceptable then they would be welcome to leave and stay elsewhere.

As a housekeeper, I've found lit candles in rooms, and when I extinguish them I think are you stupid? On of my friends in high school burned down her family's house because she left some incense burning in her room one day. Fires can and do happen because people carelessly leave candles/incense/stuff burning. And I do NOT want a fire at my motel!
                      Last edited by bhskittykatt; 10-26-2011, 08:20 PM.
                      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Heard this from a friend; she and her hubby run a motel in a nice rural area, and like many such cases, they live on the premises. I don't remember what first twigged them into going downstairs (silent alarm?) but they found a couple of guests ... no, not cooking in the kitchen ... helping themselves to stuff from the freezer! As in, hauling it out and packing it into their vehicle!

I heard this some time ago so I don't remember whether alcohol was involved. Hubby called the cops. Meanwhile the person who'd made the reservations got wind of what was going on and came rushing in to try to smooth things over ... "Oh, you know, a joke and all that, hahahahaha ..."

Needless to say, the couple didn't see it that way and the guests were hauled off to explain their sense of humour to the police and then to a judge. The guy who'd tried to smooth things over then got PO'd and said he'd NEVER come back.

It boggles the mind that people who've behaved like an idiot actually believe a threat like that is going to have any effect.

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                        I didn't witness this, but at Other MOD's old motel, there was some spiritualist group conference in town and the guests left candles burning in their rooms, and got PISSED when the housekeepers extinguished the candles. They were told in no uncertain terms that they would NOT be leaving lit candles in the room and if that wasn't acceptable then they would be welcome to leave and stay elsewhere.

As a housekeeper, I've found lit candles in rooms, and when I extinguish them I think are you stupid? On of my friends in high school burned down her family's house because she left some incense burning in her room one day. Fires can and do happen because people carelessly leave candles/incense/stuff burning. And I do NOT want a fire at my motel!
                        I dozed off once (can I plead teen stupidity? ) in my room, with the door closed, with a small votive candle burning. It was sitting on a piece of aluminum foil ... which was sitting on one of those cheap pressboard (or possibly pressed cardboard) bedside tables. Woke up the next morning to a puddle of melted wax. The thing I was most grateful for? Well, yeah, that nothing had been set on fire ... but even more than that, that my mom hadn't walked in at some point while the candle was still burning ...

Comment

Working...
                        X