• Show
Clear All

• Canada Sucks

Just a few from tonight.

Canada Sucks

...at least, according to this guest.

SC walks in

Me: "Welcome! How may I help you?"
    SC ignores me and instead closely inspects our poster advertising locations "In US and Canada"
    Me: "Er...hello, sir?"
    SC: "Locations in Canada?!?! Hah!"
    Me: "Yes sir, Canada."
    SC: *glares at me* "Then I need your Corporate number!"
    Me:
    SC: "We just drove all over that damn country and didn't see a single [Our Brand], and we sure as hell needed one!"
    Me: "Well, they're mostly out East...we don't have any in BC."
    SC: "WELL YOU DAMN WELL NEED TO GET SOME UP THERE! Their rooms are so damn expensive (ed. note: true) and the people up there are MEAN! (ed. note: not so true) We were spending $159 a night to stay in a DUMP"
    Me: "Well, true, the lodging is more expensive up there...maybe they'll find someone who'll open up a [Our Brand] franchise someday. Who knows?"
    SC: *goes on more Anti-Canadian rant. Sounds sort of like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRjurRdep_Q

Okay, a few things. (1) I can't magically open up an [Our Brand] location up there. (2) Even if [Our Brand] had a location in BC, it would still be $159 a night because they base the rates off whatever the local market is. And (3) maybe the people up there wouldn't be so mean if you'd quit bashing their country.

NEED a room NOW!

Had a guest tonight come in with no reservation and throw her ID and CC at me.

SC: "I NEED a room now!"

O...kay. No "I'd like a room, please," or "Do you have any rooms left tonight?" Nope. Just barking orders. Whatevs.

As I'm checking her in,

Me: "Coffee is out here in the morning, checkout is at noon..."
    SC: "Oh, I'll be gone before then. I have a job..."

...yes. That's very nice. I have a job, too. Two, actually, one of which I'm performing right now. Aren't we both speshul?

Making a request fail

I'm checking in a reservation. Two beds, smoking. No special requests noted.

SC1: "Do you have anything downstairs?"
    Me: "I don't have anything in smoking."
    SC1: "Okay, we'll take nonsmoking if it's downstairs."
    Me: "Okay. I have this one. There's one parking spot in front of it, a couple more over here *indicates on map*, and a whole bunch around the corner."
    SC2: "We have a lot of stuff. We need to park in front of it!"
    Me: "...okay, well that's what I have left with two beds downstairs. We're not too busy tonight, though, so that spot should be open right now."
    SC1: "Thank you."

Yeah, if you'd told me you needed parking in front of the room back around oh, say, when you booked the room? I could have made sure that was possible. I could have maybe even gotten you into a smoking room. (We have exactly one two-bed smoking room downstairs, and only a handful of two-bed nonsmoking rooms with parking in front...most of them only have one bed.) If you need something that badly, let me know ahead of time! (Hopefully no one else will take up that parking spot while the SCs are out tonight...I don't want to deal with the whining!)

Just not listening.

Me: "Okay, your total is $xx.xx. Would you like to pay cash or credit?"
    SC: "If I pay with AARP I get a discount, right."
    Me: "Yes, that's already been applied. It's $xx.xx. Cash or credit?"
    SC: "Um...do I pay with AARP card? I get a discount with AARP, right? How much if I pay cash?"
    Me: "The discount has already been applied. If you pay cash it's $xx.xx. It doesn't matter how you pay, the total is the same. That total is with the discount."
    SC: "...but what about my AARP discount?"
    Me: lather, rinse, and repeat a few more times

Then later,

SC: "Do you have WiFi?"
    Me: "We do, it's an extra $3 for 24-hours. Would you like to get that?"
    SC: "I have to pay for it?"
    Me: "Yes."
    SC: "But the phone rep said you had WiFi."
    Me: "We do. It's an extra $3. Would you like to purchase that?"
    SC: "...no WiFi?"
    Me: "Only if you pay for it."
    SC: "Um...no thanks."

Interruptus SC-us

Just as I'm finishing up with the above guest,

SC2: *pokes head through the doorway and shouts* "YEAH, WHERE'S THE ICE?"
    Me: "Right over there, ma'am."
    SC2: "OK THANK YOU!"

I was right in the middle of a sentence with another guest. To SC2, next time, shut up and wait your turn in line!

That's all from tonight (so far).
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I imagine Canada sucks a lot less when that guy isn't there

For some reason I'm imagining the woman throwing stuff at you as being mad at her significant other, possibly for unemployment and who knows what else, and is choosing to spend her time harrassing you while staying somewhere other than home for the night
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
      (3) maybe the people up there wouldn't be so mean if you'd quit bashing their country.
      LOL I was just going to say that too. Sounds like she might avoid Canada from now on. That would be a huge win for Canada.

Comment

I've never heard that song before. It's hilarious!

Comment

SC: "We just drove all over that damn country and didn't see a single [Our Brand], and we sure as hell needed one!"
          Really? Drove all over the damn country? Why do I highly doubt that? Should have asked him how he like Nunavet....
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I have a feeling EVERYPLACE that guy goes to sucks, and he can't figure out why that is... there's got to be SOMETHING, some kind of constant common denominator as to why he never has a good time anywhere, if only he knew WHAT that was
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

SC: "WELL YOU DAMN WELL NEED TO GET SOME UP THERE! Their rooms are so damn expensive (ed. note: true) and the people up there are MEAN!
              Heeeeeey

The meaniest thing anyone will do to you in BC is try to sell you pot. -.-

Comment

Drove all over Canada? In one day? That's some amazing stamina he's got there.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                  Heeeeeey

Maybe the person SC approached was all out ... ?

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    He was staying in motels up there, so not in one day. But yeah, Canada is really big. (Yes...I have lots more of those songs...)
                    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      And a fast car, too .

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                        Heeeeeey

No joke. I've been there twice (both in Gk's neck of the woods) and even when the entire area was inundated with international visitors, everyone was cool.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

He was staying in motels up there, so not in one day. But yeah, Canada is really big. (Yes...I have lots more of those songs...)
                          God bless the Arrogant Worms.

...rocks and trees...trees and rocks...up in Northern Ontario they got lots...

"If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                            ...rocks and trees...trees and rocks...up in Northern Ontario they got lots...
                            The black fly, the little black fly, always the black fly no matter where you go. I'll die with the black fly picking my bones in north Ontari-o-i-o, in north Ontar-i-o. >.>

Comment

AAAUGH!! GK!!! That's going to be in my head for the next three weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X