This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Iseeyouthere View Post
    If you wear a costume... I will give you lollies (candy).
    If you are polite, you get a little extra.
    Same here, and I also give extra for especially clever or beautiful costumes, ones that the kids obviously worked on. I like to encourage creativity.
    Quoth Iseeyouthere View Post
    If you don't wear one, you can shove off.
    If you are rude about it, you get to meet angry Icey.
    I couldn't agree more. No costume, no candy. If you don't do your part, I'm under no obligation to do mine.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Micer View Post
      My god, those two late coming jackals - er - girls and the treat sniping mom deserve to be carried off by the Boogies. Actually nix that, may they all get a stale as hell pink chunks of rock hard dollar store gum and crack molars.

*snip*
      Good reason to hang onto last year's candy until next year ...

Comment

Simple costumes aren't hard, and don't have to be expensive. Grab a bunch of scarves from a local charity store, wrap them around your waist, wear a puffy sort of shirt and a skirt, and you have a pirate wench or a gypsy girl.

Not necessarily a very GOOD one, but enough to be in the spirit of the thing.

Black clothes and white gloves, white face paint, and you're a mime.

Cowboy/girl, '50s rocker/rockabilly, Men In Black, Blues Brothers, lawyer, tourist - all fairly easy with normal clothes. If you have safety gear, a construction worker is easy too.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I went as a bag lady a few years back. Grabbed some of my grungiest clothing (one was a shirt from a rag-bag), some other stuff I have around that I don't actually wear.

Another year, I just tossed on my jammies, threw my robe over the top and wrapped a towel around my head. Grabbed a mug from the cupboard and went to work like that.

There's lots of cheap and easy ways to throw together something that would count as a "costume" without actually costing anything.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I dress in costume every year. This year I'm making my own costume cause my mom can't buy one for me. It's easy to be a zombie, just cut up some clothes, add some gauze, white face powder, red paint or food coloring, and add a touch of charcoal to make your eyes look sunken in.

Comment

I HATE working halloween at my work (McDs). We ALWAYS get kids coming up there trick or treating (and we are NOT by any houses or other businesses, we are kind of on a corner by ourselves). We do not participate in the trick or treating, do not have candy, do not have any signs indicating that we are doing anything. We don't even decorate. Makes for some awkward conversations about our lack of candy. And no, I will not put a free cheeseburger in your kid's bag. And no, I will not give your 17 yr old ass free fries for it being halloween and you know the words "trick or treat".
              Both of these examples have really happened in years prior.

Comment

We used to let kids trick or treat in our store, and it was fun. The kids would go from department to department and an employee would hand out candy. We would use candy that was "claimsed" out, and we would have a huuuuuge bin of it. However, the yo yo in charge was the Grinch of candy. "Only one piece per kid!!!" Seriously? We have a 30 gal garbage bin full of candy, and she's spazzing that there isn't enough. One year, I decided to buy a few bags of the good stuff and kept it in my department. She came over spazzing "Where did you get that candy!! We don't start trick or treating until 3!!" I told her I bought the candy and I wanted to hand it out and she needed to mind her own business. She again started in with the "One piece per kid!" spiel and I told her that since it was my candy, I would give out as much as I liked.

Unfortunately this year we got a new sheriff who feels that trick or treating is not profitable and we won't be doing it this year.

Comment

Jeez, some people are just so greedy and stupid. -.- Shame they're passing on such "values" to their offspring.

For the record, I don't give out sweets to trick or treaters who aren't in costume for the very same reason. No costume means it's begging, and I don't give to beggars, kthxbai.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                    Sad thing is, you know some poor employee is gonna be dealing with these rotten kids down the line when they turn into full-fledged SCs, given all the wonderful training they're getting now.

Joyius, if I lived in a house, I would hand out candy to a retiree if he/she bothered to show up in costume. Like others here, it's the ones who can't be bothered even to throw together something quick that annoy me.

And I don't understand the costume thing either. I volunteer at a local thrift shop, which is entirely volunteer-run, so our prices are rock-bottom. We had a full rack of costumes and potential costume parts up this year, and hardly any of them went.
                    Weird. Over in my neck of the woods, thrift stores are busy on Halloween. One person in the group I went with to the party last night managed to put together a Flynn Ryder costume.
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I always make my costumes. I went to a party last night and won a prize for having one of the best costumes... and my cat costume was entirely made from my own clothes, makeup from a 99p store teamed with my own gothic style makeup and a tail and ears from a Claires. I even beat out some people who'd hired their costumes.
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

My Halloween costume takes absolutely no effort at all.

All I need to do is put on a tye-dye t-shirt, a pair of old raggedy jeans and my old birkenstocks or go barefoot.

Voila, I'm a dirty hippie. Peace man.
                        Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 10-30-2011, 05:00 PM.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          My Halloween costume takes absolutely no effort at all.

All I need to do is put on a tye-dye t-shirt, a pair of old raggedy jeans and my old birkenstocks or go barefoot.

Voila, I'm a dirty hippie. Peace man.
                          I used to wear a similar costume back in my old hometown. My new hometown, however is Hippie Heaven, so the Hippie costume isn't actually a costume!

The last few years I've just worn SCA garb with a few variations (blue garb + "diadem" made from rhinestone-studded headband + wand = Rowena Ravenclaw! ). If I ever lose some of this weight, I'll make a pretty costume for the following Halloween.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I get accused of being in costume all year 'round: Stephen King.

... everything I write that's too too cloying I let him publish ...
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I'm 21, and I wear a costume on Halloween. Halloween is my favorite holiday, and while I don't go trick-or-treating (my mom never allowed me to do so as a child because she's one of those 'everything is evil!' psycho christian moms who thinks the dark powers of the Snickers gods will corrupt me into being a demonic force-Snickers don't do that, mom, that would be Whoppers) I do enjoy the general spooky atmosphere of Halloween, and I go to this community fall festival thing we have here every year. This year I have to help out because they're short on adults who actually, y'know, DO anything, but the previous years I'd actually been playing games and such as well.

Still, those acts of entitlement are downright idiotic. If I'd been there when that moron tried to lean over the counter to grab candy, I would have taken the candy dish and put it where she can't reach it, and flat out told her "No costume, no candy." let her throw her bitch-fit, she's only making herself look like that much more of a moron.

Comment

I don't remember the last time I went trick or treating.

I think maybe I was 19 or 20.

I want to go again.
                                Unseen but seeing
                                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                                3rd shift needs love, too
                                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                                X