This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth fireheart View Post
    Halloween can be traced back to Gaelic/Celtic origins.
    So can anything if you work hard enough / are willing to lie
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

You can get multipacks of mini sultana boxes. They're also not that expensive.

Alternatey, I can always throw in some Bellis fruit bars. (they're cheap too)

Just a question for those in the US/Canada: I've heard of kids taking UNICEF boxes around for donations, does that still occur?
      Yes, but it's very rare. Mostly because older kids were stealing the boxes from younger ones if they were out on their own, also because people would "use" old UNICEF/Heifer Project/Habitat for Humanity boxes from past years and collect the money, but never turn it in. Don't ask how I know that, it's a long story and one that makes me get a stabby feeling every time I retell it. Sorry.

On another note, alot of church/youth/community groups do a Halloween fundraiser get-together instead to raise money for a charity, and anyone who pays the cover charge is welcome to attend. They even give you a costume if you show up without one to use for the night's festivities.
      Why is stupidity not an arrestable offense?

Comment

Just a question for those in the US/Canada: I've heard of kids taking UNICEF boxes around for donations, does that still occur?
        I had just about forgotten about my childhood trauma. We (my sister and I) had to take turns - one took the UNICEF box and the other got the candy. It was up to the candy taker to decide what and how much they wanted to share with the UNICEF collector.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post

So four of us, complete with Halloween costumes danced all day long.
          Pics, please!
          "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
            I thought Scrooge was associated with Christmas, not Halloween.
            Just another example of people doing Christmas stuff earlier and earlier every year.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Halloween can be traced back to Gaelic/Celtic origins.
              Oh yes, I know, it's just that I thought it wasn't done much in England. Can't believe everything you read, I guess..

As for the scammers, they seem to go back pretty much to the beginning of time.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Speaking of scammers,

Had a woman (and I use the term loosely) come into my store tonight. No costume, Walmart bag (I don't work at Walmart), and no teeth (I am serious, she had no top or bottom teeth AT ALL, she might have had molars). "Trick or Treat!" I said, in my awesome try to discern the customer's intent voice, "Do you have a return?"

"Trick or Treat!"
                "Trick or Treat!"
                "Trick or Treat!"

Ahhh, I got it. Yes, we have lollipops for the cute munchkins that come in, in costume. But for you beggar lady? Nada, nil, zilch, getouttahere.

"You don't do trick or treat?"
                ** me thinking ** HELL no, not for beggars who can't even attempt a costume and are at LEAST 45 years old (if she's a day) "No sorry we don't"
                "Well why the hell NOT?????????????????"
                "I'm sorry, we don't. Have a nice evening!" ::: fake smile:::

Wait for it ................................................

"Well I'm NEVER coming here again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

We can only hope ;-)

Comment

We've been doing trick or treat where I've lived in the UK for a good 20 years. My step father even had a haunted house/darkness obstacle course where you had to go through "yucky things" etc. one year.

We did our house up this year as always and had 60-70 kids. At one point there where 4 cars lined up all trying to drop off/pick up kids who'd driven in specifically to ToT our house.
                  I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
                  X