This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammers: know your target!

Just a quicky I've remembered from my first days on the railways.

<BG> I'm in the UK, so we have coins for multiples of a pound as well as fractions. All of the coins are designed so as to be distinct from each other by sight & touch. Pound & £2 coins are also much thicker than other coins.

On the railways all normal fares are set to be multiples of 10p, with only child or concession fares having the option to end in 5p for more accurate discounting. Because of this, we rarely have 5ps and never have anything smaller in our tills unless someone's been emptying their piggybank to buy their tickets; I can go for weeks without having any 1ps or 2ps in my deposit. </BG>

SC: Hey, you just short-changed me!

Me: Really madam? I know I counted your change out to you, & I've got the amount here on screen which matches what I said in closing. (( I was young & foolishly conciencious ))

SC: Yeah, but you gave me a penny instead of a pound coin.

Me: ... but madam, we don't have any pennies.

SC: ... *blushes furiously at being caught, blusters something unintelligible, then realises she needs to run for her train.*

Me & my coworker:
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

I so wish I lived in the UK, if only for the wonderful opportunity of offering to give someone a "pound".

Comment

Gotta love it when you catch them so easily.

And on another thread, I have to say that pound coins are awesome. I love how heavy they are in the hand.

Comment

only for the wonderful opportunity of offering to give someone a "pound".
        Yes, also, you could ask for a "fag" without causing offence. "Fag" being slang for cigarette
        There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Comment

makes me think of the "in for a penny, in for a pound" phrase....

and that if she thinks pound coins are pennies... she's in for a world of hurt.

which also makes me think of this one...
          A pot's what you can lift in your hand, innkeeper, and any fool who can't tell a pot from a barrel might sell a barrel of ale for the price of a pot.
          Last edited by PepperElf; 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
            SC: Yeah, but you gave me a penny instead of a pound coin.
            Honestly? She honestly thought that anyone would believe that you could mistakenly hand out a penny instead of a pound?

At least she kept it short and legged it rather than trying to have a major go-round with you on it.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I think we may have had one more exchange than I detailed, but with the rug firmly pulled from under her feet she could see she wasn't getting anywhere with me, and my colleague at the second window was doing all they could not to wet themselves at my delivery.

This is by no means my first go-around in customer service, and I was lucky enough to get my initial exposure in an environment where profit was above the currently absurd "customer satisfaction" level that some businesses seem to inflict on their staff. As such, I have no problem calling people out when it's their own damn problem
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
              X