This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stories From The Sandwich Shop

I work at a Vietnamese sandwich (banh mi) shop. There are 4 other employees and I'm the only woman and the only one who is not Asian. I do everything from working the register to making sandwiches to doing prep. The store has only been open a few months and most of our customers are very awesome, chill regulars. We were recently featured on a popular local website and business has boomed but I've encountered my first SCs at the job.

You Aren't Vietnamese!

Most banh mi restaurants in my city are owned and operated by Vietnamese people, since there is a fairly large Vietnamese population. If people wait by the register for their food and I'm spending all my time in the back making sandwiches, they're often surprised by my ethnicity. Until today, this had always resulted in laughs--"Haha, who'd have thought the only non Vietnamese person would be making my sandwich." or "You're not Vietnamese!" (said in great surprise by an older lady. She was laughing, it wasn't accusatory).

Me: Here's your sandwiches! Thanks for waiting and have a great day!
    SC: Wait, you didn't make these, did you?
    Me: I did make them. Did you have questions about them?
    SC: I can't believe you are allowed near the food! This isn't real banh mi if some white girl is making it! I want to talk to the manager!!!!

The owner told the SC to leave and not come back. Yay owner!

How DARE You Make Assumptions??
    The owner wants us to pimp out our delivery service. This makes sense since we are a stone's throw away from some very large hospitals, which are almost as good for ordering as offices. I always mention the delivery service to people with hospital ID badges or in scrubs. Today, SC came in wearing surgical scrubs.

Me: Here's your order! I included a copy of our menu in your bag. We deliver every day of the week within a 2000 mile radius.
    SC: Well, how do you know that I live near here?
    Me: I don't. Based on your scrubs, I'm guessing that you're a surgeon and probably a resident if you're getting a very cheap meal near work on a Sunday. I'm sure there are times you'd appreciate a new place to order from, especially since we don't have a delivery fee.
    SC: arghabarghale You're so presumptive!
    Me: (thinking) And this is why no one like surgeons.

Stop Being So Cheerful
    Long ago I developed a defense mechanism against customers: Be cheerful and slightly ditzy. I've found that customers are slightly less likely to be mean if they think I'm a little dumb (someone once said "I'm not even going to argue with you because you just wouldn't understand").

Today someone told me that I needed to stop being so cheerful. First time I've heard that in the 6 or 7 years I've been obscenely cheerful to customers.

Bubble Tea
    I try to upsell on almost every order. I often try to upsell you multiple times. As a new, small business, margins are thin and I need to make sure that I'm making enough money for the boss so that my paycheck isn't eating all his profit for the day.
    Background: Bubble tea is a kind of tea that many Vietnamese places feature prominently on their menus.

SC: I want a chicken sandwich.
    Me: Did you want to add avocado to that sandwich?
    SC: No. I also want a Thai tea.
    Me: Would you like to add tapioca? That would make the Thai tea more like bubble tea.
    SC: GOD NO! What do I have to do to get you to stop selling me stuff I don't need!!! Just give me a sandwich and tea!!!
    Me: I apologize. I am not trying to annoy you. Your total for the chicken sandwich and Thai tea is $89,342.33.

I fixed the tea for the customer.
    SC: Wait!!! This isn't bubble tea!!!
    Me: Correct. This is Thai tea. Bubble tea is tea with tapioca in it. Would you like me to add some tapioca?
    SC: Well, duh! Who orders bubble tea without tapioca?
    Me: Ok, that will be $223.98 for the tapioca.
    SC: I'm not paying that. I ordered bubble tea and this isn't bubble tea.
    Me: I cannot add the tapioca for free. I explained earlier that Thai tea isn't bubble tea and that you'd need to add tapioca. You declined and therefore you weren't charged for the tapioca.
    SC: FINE, but I'm telling everyone that this place is a rip off!

I'm Not Eating At Your House
    I was peeling, deveining and cutting shrimp.

SC: Hey, stop that!!
    Me: Pardon me?
    SC: You're cutting out the rotten parts of the shrimp and putting them in with the good ones instead of throwing away the whole rotten shrimp!
    Me: Actually, I'm deveining the shrimp.
    SC: De-what?
    Me: Deveining. You know, cutting out the black line?
    SC: You're making that up! Any dark spot on a shrimp means it's bad.
    Me: No, deveining is removing the digestive tract of the shrimp.
    SC: You're making that up. This place is disgusting!
    Last edited by trailerparkmedic; 11-06-2011, 10:06 PM. Reason: forgot my last story

"You're making that up." Ugh, I HATE that statement. I am NOT a liar and I will call someone on accusing me as such, job security notwithstanding.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Damn, your place is expensive. But you have a decent delivery area range.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
        Most banh mi restaurants in my city are owned and operated by Vietnamese people, since there is a fairly large Vietnamese population. If people wait by the register for their food and I'm spending all my time in the back making sandwiches, they're often surprised by my ethnicity. Until today, this had always resulted in laughs--"Haha, who'd have thought the only non Vietnamese person would be making my sandwich." or "You're not Vietnamese!" (said in great surprise by an older lady. She was laughing, it wasn't accusatory).

Me: Here's your sandwiches! Thanks for waiting and have a great day!
        SC: Wait, you didn't make these, did you?
        Me: I did make them. Did you have questions about them?
        SC: I can't believe you are allowed near the food! This isn't real banh mi if some white girl is making it! I want to talk to the manager!!!!

The owner told the SC to leave and not come back. Yay owner!
        So in other words, the owner...
        *dons sunglasses*
        Banh-ed her.
        YYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously though, this lady wouldn't like it at my local chinese take-out. The owner is Viatnamese, and some of the kitchen workers are hispanic.

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
          Damn, your place is expensive. But you have a decent delivery area range.
          It took me a second to get that.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

SC's complain when you're cheerfull & they complain when you're NOT cheerfull. Can't win...lol.

Comment

I used to work at a Chinese place and got "You're not Chinese!" all the time. It was all I could not not to come back with "OMIGOSH!!! REALLY???"
              The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Wow, talk about rude. Would these people say "You're not Italian" to somebody in an Italian restaurant who was black or Asian?

Oh, wait....yeah, they probably would.

I love the shrimp story. How dumb do you have to be not to know there's a vein in the shrimp??
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I had to look up banh mi to understand what exactly goes INTO a vietnamese sandwich. The pics i got made me think of a vietnamese subway.
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I'm in one of my local (Washington DC area) Vietnamese place. While waiting for my food, I glance through the open kitchen door. All the cooks - every single one - Mexican.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Wow, talk about rude. Would these people say "You're not Italian" to somebody in an Italian restaurant who was black or Asian?

Oh, wait....yeah, they probably would.
                      Yep they sure do,

At the pizza shop i used to work at the manager was Italian and all of the staff except me were vietnamese. There'd normally be at least one comment a day about it.
                      Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

Quoth magician5 View Post
                        I'm in one of my local (Washington DC area) Vietnamese place. While waiting for my food, I glance through the open kitchen door. All the cooks - every single one - Mexican.
                        In my area (also the DC area) several sushi restaurants have Mexican chefs, a Mexican restaurant is run by a Moroccan, another Mexican restaurant by an American, and an Italian restaurant is run by an Iranian. The 50's themed diner is run by a Greek, as are both Greek restaurants I frequent. The Chinese restaurant is run by Chinese. As long as they serve good food, and they do, I don't complain.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                          I'm Not Eating At Your House
                          I was peeling, deveining and cutting shrimp.

SC: Hey, stop that!!
                          Me: Pardon me?
                          SC: You're cutting out the rotten parts of the shrimp and putting them in with the good ones instead of throwing away the whole rotten shrimp!
                          Me: Actually, I'm deveining the shrimp.
                          SC: De-what?
                          Me: Deveining. You know, cutting out the black line?
                          SC: You're making that up! Any dark spot on a shrimp means it's bad.
                          Me: No, deveining is removing the digestive tract of the shrimp.
                          SC: You're making that up. This place is disgusting!
                          Sadly I could picture this person raging at the grocery seafood counter about how all the shrimp are bad because they're grey and have those rotten spots - 'Cause good shrimp are pink and white - your store is disgusting - no I don't have a history of mental disease - how dare you - herp-derp-derp-derp'
                          Okay everyone, lets all point and laugh at him right about....

Now.

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
                            So in other words, the owner...
                            *dons sunglasses*
                            Banh-ed her.
                            YYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I laughed quite a bit on that one. Just wanted to say thanks XD

But yeah, those are some real SCers. The one complaining about ethnicity annoyed me the most.

Comment

I hope Shrimp SC repeats that story to one of his/her "friends" (using the term loosely, maybe just a family member or random person on the street) so they can get the complete mocking and rude awakening they deserve

My husband hates upselling too (meaning people who try to do it, he doesn't do it himself that I know of, though he does support for computer programs in addition to being a developer for the same company). He isn't generally rude about it, but for example, he told our former lawn service contractor never to call him again because they were always trying to get him to try something new. I got on his case for that...first of all, businesses have to grow and what better way than to get customers to try new things? Second, our lawn had LOTS of issues...maybe it would look better than it does if he wasn't so damn cheap And lastly, they were never rude about asking or saying OK if he said no. I told them just to call me on my cell...but eventually he gave them the boot and tried another company. The lawn looks about the same to me.
                              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X