This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An assortment from CVS

Here's a few stories back when I worked at CVS at the mall, back between 2000 and 2002.

================================================== ========

I'm called to the perfume cabinet which contains some products expensive enough to be behind lock and key. Someone presses the button paging an associate to the cabinet and the supervisor hands me the key.

Beside the cabinet was a young-ish couple who was very interested in one of the most expensive perfumes ($80) we had available. As I took it out of the cabinet for her to sample, she yanked it out of my hand, sprayed it in my face, temporarily incapacitating me and fighting to breathe. After merely 5 seconds, I finally was able to regain enough composure to figure what happened but the couple (and the bottle) were gone.

We had the "robbery" caught on camera, and called the police, but they were likely out of the mall altogether by the time they arrived. As far as I can tell, they got away with it. CVS tends to avoid any confrontation with shoplifters for fear of "unwanted media attention," so chances are they didn't pursue the case much.

Supervisor calls me up to the office. CVS tended to employ young supervisors, some as young as 18, and she was no exception. Still living with her parents (and I think still in high-school) she was ranting to me about her boyfriend Rick's parents' dislike for her.

Her: "His parents just won't let me talk to him, and when I try to call the house, if one of the parents pick up and find out it's me, they immediately hang up."
    Me (uninterested): "Uh huh..." (why the heck are you calling me into the office during my shift to tell me this?!! )
    Her: "So, this is what I want you to do..." (uh oh)
    Her: "Can you call this number and pretend like you have a cold. You kind of sound like his best friend Mike and his parents might fall for it."
    Me: *sigh* "Yeah, whatever."
    (I do so... and the mother picks up)
    Mother: "Hello?"
    Me: (holding my nose) "Uh, hi, it's Mike... is Rick home?"
    Mother: "Umm... this isn't Mike."
    Me: "Of course it's Mike. What makes you think it isn't?"
    Mother: "Well, I'm looking at Mike right now in the living room playing Nintendo with Rick. Who is this?"
    Me: (hangs up) "Don't ever ask me to do that again." (leaves without saying another word)

A teenage boy came up to the counter with a box of Maxipads. I could see by the look on his face he was embarrassed. As I scanned it, he timidly said, "Uuuh, just to let you know, guy... umm... these aren't mine."

I looked at him and said, "Uuuuh, yeah, I know."

"It's for my mom."

"Okay."

You know, this could have been a lot less awkward if you hadn't said anything at all and made the purchase like it was a bottle of Tums!

Customer: "Excuse me, sir... do you happen to sell belated anniversary cards?"
    Me: "Uh... heh, no... but we do have 'I'm so sorry' and 'Let's make up' cards."
    Customer: "Hmm... that's a good idea. I'll get those."

From a CVS Extra Care Card application:
    Email Address: same as mailing address

From another CVS Extra Care Card Application:
    p.s. Maury Povich is really hot!

Customer: "Uuuh, do you have a deli in here?"
    Me: "...No... This is a CVS drugstore."
    Customer: "Oh. Where is Subway?"

I've never heard of even a supersized CVS containing a deli before.

(I had just finished selling a customer his daily cigarettes. He comes in at the same time of day everyday. The man behind him looks concerned.)
    Man: "Did you check his ID to make sure he was old enough to buy cigarettes?"
    Me: "He comes in here all the time. I know his brand, even."
    Man: "That isn't good enough. You know, it's possible that could even be his twin."
    Me: "Err... even if he had a twin, he'd be the same age."
    Man: "Oh... yeah."

I'm glad that satisfied his concerns. I was just about to get out the clue bat.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Quoth thehuckster View Post
    Man: "That isn't good enough. You know, it's possible that could even be his twin."
    Me: "Err... even if he had a twin, he'd be the same age."
    Man: "Oh... yeah."

I'm glad that satisfied his concerns. I was just about to get out the clue bat.
    You'd need a pretty large clue bat for that one... But hey, maybe someone got plastic surgery to look like your regular. Or better yet, there's a robot clone of your regular! So check IDs, you don't want to sell cigarettes to a robot. The nicotine patches don't work on them and they're really trying to quit.

Comment

Beside the cabinet was a young-ish couple who was very interested in one of the most expensive perfumes ($80) we had available. As I took it out of the cabinet for her to sample, she yanked it out of my hand, sprayed it in my face, temporarily incapacitating me and fighting to breathe. After merely 5 seconds, I finally was able to regain enough composure to figure what happened but the couple (and the bottle) were gone.

We had the "robbery" caught on camera, and called the police, but they were likely out of the mall altogether by the time they arrived. As far as I can tell, they got away with it. CVS tends to avoid any confrontation with shoplifters for fear of "unwanted media attention," so chances are they didn't pursue the case much.
      I hope those thieving scumbags developed a severe allergy to that expensive stolen perfume. Or somewhere down the line, someone pepper-sprayed them. People like that deserve a severe Karmic smackdown.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        I hope those thieving scumbags developed a severe allergy to that expensive stolen perfume. Or somewhere down the line, someone pepper-sprayed them. People like that deserve a severe Karmic smackdown.
        And CVS basically encourages that by not going after people like that.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29
          And CVS basically encourages that by not going after people like that.
          That's why I'm so so so glad my store manager *will* go to court against the thieves that we can catch.
          (note: I don't work at CVS.)
          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

I would think CVS would at least want to pursue an assault charge.

Comment

Quoth SavageChihuahua View Post
              Or better yet, there's a robot clone of your regular! So check IDs, you don't want to sell cigarettes to a robot.
              Ya see, this is why I'm glad robot AI isn't very good yet. Even when they DO try to impersonate humans, they still cough up ID's that show them in their robot forms. Dead giveaway. They also tend to be full-size adults with birthdates within the last two years or so, making them easy to deny for being underage ^_^
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Ya see, this is why I'm glad robot AI isn't very good yet. Even when they DO try to impersonate humans, they still cough up ID's
                Yeah, just don't ask them about tortoises, or their mothers....

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  they still cough up ID's that show them in their robot forms. Dead giveaway.
                  That's assuming they haven't falsified their transponders.

Comment

A teenage boy came up to the counter with a box of Maxipads. I could see by the look on his face he was embarrassed. As I scanned it, he timidly said, "Uuuh, just to let you know, guy... umm... these aren't mine."

I looked at him and said, "Uuuuh, yeah, I know."

"It's for my mom."

"Okay."

You know, this could have been a lot less awkward if you hadn't said anything at all and made the purchase like it was a bottle of Tums!
                    Poor kid, I kinda feel bad for him, he must have been mortified having to get them.

Comment

Quoth SavageChihuahua View Post
                      Or better yet, there's a robot clone of your regular!
                      It's the Tessalecta!
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

A teenage boy came up to the counter with a box of Maxipads...
                        He's up one qual to be a Navy Seal.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                          Yeah, just don't ask them about tortoises, or their mothers....
                          Is this testing whether I'm a replicant, Mr. Deckard, or a lesbian?

Comment

Customer: "Uuuh, do you have a deli in here?"
                            Me: "...No... This is a CVS drugstore."
                            Customer: "Oh. Where is Subway?"

I've never heard of even a supersized CVS containing a deli before.

While they don't have a "deli" per se, the CVS by my GF's house has a pretty decent food section with sandwitches and Sushi(??) .
                            There Can Be Only One

Comment

Quoth ellie View Post
                              Poor kid, I kinda feel bad for him, he must have been mortified having to get them.
                              Good training for the future. If girlfriend, wife or daughter needs them and can't get them, guess who will?
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X