This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Optional

I have no idea what's going on (maybe it's the upcoming holiday), but I've had multiple students tell me they don't want to do their assignments.

Unfortunately, the work in my class is non-negotiable. In some classes, the prof might be willing and/or able to change the nature of the assignments or their due dates, but not in mine. Of course, all assignments and expectations are listed in the syllabus starting on Day 1, so it's not like any students are caught unawares.

When I'm told this, I really want to reply, "Well, enjoy your F, then." Of course, I simply say, "Well, I can't change the work. If you have questions let me know/be sure to review page 5 in the book/etc."

As a student, there were plenty of times I didn't want to do the work I was assigned, but it never occurred to me to say anything to the professor about it. I mean, ultimately there are two options: 1. Do it. 2. Don't do it.

Hopefully everyone will return from Thanksgiving Break feeling refreshed.

Well, of course doing an assignment is entirely optional.
    As long as you can live with the consequences, that is.

And, in fact, my prof made that abundantly clear. "Sure, the assignments are optional. So is taking the exam. In fact, it's entirely optional to graduate. Your choice."
    Last edited by Midnight_Angel; 11-23-2011, 10:22 AM.
    I still miss my ex.
    But my aim is getting better.

Comment

My mom's a High School teacher, teaching a class of Grade 12's (among others) this year. She told me how she had to point out the hard truth that a number of them were not going to pass her class (English) unless they started doing the work for the class instead of just coasting.

And similar to the OP, some of the students said they didn't have time for Homework due to their after school jobs and such. Mom's feeling on that (not sure if she said it but I'm sure she did), was that they have to learn to manage their priorities better.

Comment

They don't WANT to do the assignments? Well duh, no one WANTS to do homework. What you want to do and what you need to do are of course, two different things.

Comment

Dark Ages 2: The Return of Ignorance

Few things teachers could do in school would make me angrier than busy work. Work they made up just so we would be doing something due to a lack of planning on thier part. But I didnt mind actual assignments unless it was some stupid english assignment in which I was supposed to figure out what the author 'really meant'. Since the work was in english and I spoke english Im pretty sure it was obvious what the author did or didnt mean with spending a week trying to figure out what he/she was really saying about the green grass.

That aside, getting my neice and nephew to do thier homework is like pulling teeth. I have to search one of my nieces bags to make sure she doesnt have any homework when I babysit becuase she straight up lies about it all the time.

Comment

I've got four co-workers that are currently taking the same classes in college.

One of them is currently working full time hours and excelling in all of her classes.

One of them is working full time and struggling but still passing.

The other two are working the bare minimum of hours and are still failing. They frequently try to call out saying that they need to study, blaming their work schedule on why they're doing so poorly.

The two that are failing get zero sympathy from anyone else.
            Flood

Comment

Quoth Miss Fatale View Post
              When I'm told this, I really want to reply, "Well, enjoy your F, then."
              I don't see why you can't tell them that. XD It might make them think twice.
              "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

In my state a few years back. This was a high school senior, she didn't do the work, and was in danger of failing, and her teacher offered extra credit and help to pull her grades up. Student never did it, and she was failed couldn't walk with her class.

Snookums ran to mommy and daddy crying about how unfair her teacher was, that she wouldn't help her with extra credit. Parents threatened to so sue if she didn't pass her. District caved and allowed her to take a new test 5 hrs before graduation.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,59330,00.html
                The angels have the phone box.

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                  I don't see why you can't tell them that. XD It might make them think twice.
                  The Powers That Be don't approve of that kind of language, I'm afraid. I have to be helpful and upbeat and blah blah blah.

But perhaps emphasizing the impact these assignments have on one's final grade could be helpful.

Comment

Quoth Flood View Post
                    I've got four co-workers that are currently taking the same classes in college.

One of them is currently working full time hours and excelling in all of her classes.

One of them is working full time and struggling but still passing.

The other two are working the bare minimum of hours and are still failing. They frequently try to call out saying that they need to study, blaming their work schedule on why they're doing so poorly.

The two that are failing get zero sympathy from anyone else.
                    When I started college (for a computer degree, no fluff courses) at age 30, I was going thru a divorce, and had a six year old. When I got my degree,
                    I was a single mom, working full time, with a 4.0 average. And that was back
                    before home computers and internet, all classes were on campus, and though I could write programs at home, I had to spend computer lab time at the college to type them in, run and test, correct, etc. For several classes at a time in different computer languages. Plus the normal homework for
                    various business courses, etc. I won't say it was easy, and I won't say I
                    didn't come dangerously close to a nervous breakdown, but I didn't winge or ask to skip assignments. Working was essential (if I wanted a roof and food, lol), time to spend with my daughter was top priority after working to support her, but it was my choice to go back to school, and my choice to go for a high grade average, so I dealt with it.

Madness takes it's toll....
                    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Miss Fatale View Post
                      IWhen I'm told this, I really want to reply, "Well, enjoy your F, then."
                      So why not tell them exactly that? Light a fire, let them know that no work = no pass? Or am I ignorant as to the resulting suckatude?

Comment

The only time we'd bitch about assignments is when they were ridiculous and screwed over our holidays. Leave my weekends and breaks to me, don't make me waste my life on tedious crap over what precious free time I have.

A lot of people would whine though about simple homework assignments like "Read chapter X and write out definitions of these words". Seriously? Upping your grade won't get easier than this.
                        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post

So why not tell them exactly that? Light a fire, let them know that no work = no pass? Or am I ignorant as to the resulting suckatude?
                          It's a very touchy-feely department, so I have to be very careful how I phrase things. As an adjunct, I don't have a lot of freedom.

Comment

I swear, we seem to be infantilizing people for longer periods. Even post-secondary teachers seem to be expected to be "nice" and "upbeat" no matter what the circumstances are. I'm back in college after a layoff and I actually had one teacher say something to the effect of "So if you guys aren't doing well that's my fault."
                            Um, really?

I'm a few decades past high school but I've been told that no teacher can refuse to accept a high school assignment regardless of how late it is. How does this prepare kids for real life? Some post-secondary teachers have a similar philosophy -- but not all of them. My chemistry teacher has tossed students out of lab for not having their pre-lab work done or not having their lab coat or not having necessary safety equipment (like goggles) when it's needed. Not surprisingly, some of the students really hate her.

Comment

When I started college (for a computer degree, no fluff courses) at age 30, I was going thru a divorce, and had a six year old. When I got my degree,
                              I was a single mom, working full time, with a 4.0 average. And that was back
                              before home computers and internet, all classes were on campus, and though I could write programs at home, I had to spend computer lab time at the college to type them in, run and test, correct, etc. For several classes at a time in different computer languages. Plus the normal homework for
                              various business courses, etc. I won't say it was easy, and I won't say I
                              didn't come dangerously close to a nervous breakdown, but I didn't winge or ask to skip assignments.
                              merriweather's point is very strong; most kids today have no real concept of what hard really is...of course you don't want to do your work; we don't either, but a sensible person will do it because they want to pass and move on. of course you're busy, we are too, we have jobs, households, bills, kids, etc. yet we get our work done, regardless.

stop whining, grow up just a bit and take responsibility for yourselves instead of being terminal, spoiled brats with no real purpose.

*thinks op should be able to clue by four these twits into a touch of reality*
                              look! it's ghengis khan!
                              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                              X