Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phone batteries and why we don't carry them... (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone batteries and why we don't carry them... (long)

<bg>This happened a few years back, I started working for what's called a deal store for a major department store chain that sells appliances, tools, lawn and garden ect. The only thing is our store was really small, and we didn't carry a lot in stock but could order in anything. We weren't quite a catalog store but it felt that way sometimes.

About a month after I started I was manning the sales floor alone (I should note I worked for 3 years food service prior to this and had never done retail), my manager was in the back doing some paperwork or something. At any rate, like all stores during the holidays, this store got in a huge shipment of knickknacks and those "great gift ideas" type things and one happened to be a cordless phone with the brand name of tools we sold put on it but the store did not keep cordless phones as a normal stock item, so we didn't carry phone batteries and when I say the store was small, it was TINY. There was one stock guy, three salesmen, two delivery guys and my manager. We were way up in northern Michigan.</bg>

SC1 - Wife
    SC2 - husband
    me

SC1 - We bought a cordless phone here a few years back and we need a new battery for it. *drops battery pack on the counter.*

Me- I'm sorry, we don't carry cordless phone. I don't have any replacement parts.

SC1 - What do you mean you don't have any batteries!!?!?!

Me- We don't care cordless phones at all, I don't have batteries for something I don't stock.

Both of them just started yelling at me, it's been so long I can't even remember what they said but the just of it was they couldn't believe I didn't have cordless phone batteries and that they didn't know why they shopped at this store. I just stood there with like . I couldn't believe someone would lost their mind of something so silly. I do remember they left, vowing never to shop at our store again, which I was very pleased about.

Anyway, more to come!

A few YEARS ago? Even if you used to stock them, there's no guarantee you would continue to. If I bought something several years ago, I don't assume the store will keep stocking that item or any accessories for it. Wow, they were nasty.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

to You'll find that plenty of cookies, hugs, and booze abound. Bacon sometimes, if retailworkhorse doesn't get to it first
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Welcome, cone to me for Bacon Chocolate Chip cookies (they're good.. I swear!)

I wish people could understand that they didn't need to be so douchey.
        http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

With how often a lot of manufacturers change designs and specs, I'd be surprised if you can get a replacement battery pack over the counter anywhere. You'd most likely have to get a dedicated electronics shop to order it in for you, or buy online yourself.

Comment

I've never had an issue getting batteries...I take the handset to the local Radio Shack and hand it to the worker and I've walked out happy, every time. Worth recommending...
            "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
            - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
              I've never had an issue getting batteries...I take the handset to the local Radio Shack and hand it to the worker and I've walked out happy, every time. Worth recommending...
              Probably a US/UK thing then. When I've needed a new battery for a phone or camera I've often had to get one straight from the makers, or search online. It got to a stage now I'll settle for a shorter charge time, as long as they use standard batteries.

Comment

Oh believe me I tried, I recommended Radio Shack, Wal-mart (although I doubted they'd be much help) and gave them the info to order said battery.

Comment

Sears -- at least, the larger stores -- tend to have lots of odd batteries in their electronics department. If you have one nearby, they could be worth a shot.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I usually head over to Batteries Plus, which reminds me I've got to soon replace a couple of cordless phone batteries.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      Sears -- at least, the larger stores -- tend to have lots of odd batteries in their electronics department. If you have one nearby, they could be worth a shot.
                      It was a Sears dealer store. They are almost like franchises and are built far away from the larger stores. In this case the closest Sears store was an hour and twenty minutes away.

Comment

Perhaps they can go to an antique store. I'm sure those places still sell batteries for CORDLESS phones. Ha ha!

Comment

Working...
                        X