This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conviencence store Cacaphony!

All of these stories take place at one of the two convenience stores I work or have worked at. Small booths in public malls, no real theft security other than the public eye, lottery, cigs, mags, addictiveness and vice for sale at marked up prices. Some of them are horror stories from co-workers, a few I experienced first hand.

Convenient storage space I:

Ever had a customer pay by pulling bills out of random places? Bras are fairly common but when someone pulls a twenty out of their buttcrack a new level of disgust and imminent contamination rises like an unseen rake handle in your overgrown lawn.

To make matters worse, it was a guy.

Black friday discount:

Yes, Black friday. To Americans, it's a day of sales and seething victory over your fellow crass consumers. To us Canadians however, it doesn't exist. Thank gods.

To the American tourists who believe Canada is an annexed state of the big 52 or similar, the absence of a %50 markdown is as unholy as making love with a crucifix.

SC: Why isn't your merchandice marked down? It's black friday!"
    Me: Ma'am, it's Canada. Black friday is an American holiday. We don't celebrate it. Besides, we can't mark down lottery sales.
    SC: Don't get smart with me young man! We are in North America! You celebrate Thanksgiving here! When it is thanksgiving, it is black friday!
    Me: Ma'am, we are in Canada. We do celebrate thanksgiving, and there are minor sales but there is no black friday. Besides, our thanksgiving was a month ago.
    SC: You're lying! Thanksgiving is today! I want my purchases marked down to black friday sales prices!
    Me: Even if I could mark down lottery sales, which I can't regardless of the day, I can't mark down merchandise for a holiday sale that we don't part-

At this, the woman slams the tickets on the table and storms off very much resembling a hippo trying to walk through deep mud.

Forced sex change? What?:

Because I like to put my hair up in a ponytail, as well as having a few manners of speech and body language I picked up growing up in a mostly female environment I every once and a while have had the amusing occasion when people mistake me for a girl from behind.

Man: Ma'am?
    Me, in my deepest voice: "Can I help you?"
    Man: OH! Sorry! Geez, I didn't-
    Me: *Laughing* It's ok. I get that a lot.
    Man: Dude, you look like a chick from behind. You should totally get a sex-change.
    Me: A...What?
    Man: Yeah! Be a girl! I'd totally screw you.

Hell. No.

You smoke what?:

We sell cigarettes. We also sell cigarette papers. Little veneer strips of parchment weed smokers like to wrap that grass of feel-good in. The usual buyers smell like smoke and melted rope- A sure sign of their habits, and are usually reported to security to keep an eye on in case they light up the illegal.

This one guy however bought a pack and was smoking a doobie outside that generated a foul odor beyond the norm. When approached by security, the man claimed that he didn't have enough tobacco to roll so he used his own hair as a filler.

Gross, but not enough to warrant booting him out. Turns out it was tobacco. And hair.

Temper temper!:

During christmas hours the gamblers, especially the old ones come up to the booth with 5-100 lottery scratchtickets to check. Sometimes they can take hours and we need to shoo them off the self checker so other people can have a turn.

Sometimes however, the self checker line is too long for their tastes and they have us check the little scratchy bastards.

One elderly lady, looking to buy a weekly draw ticket was standing in line for a good 15 minutes waiting for the cash to free up while we checked tickets. When checking scratches the machine cannot be used for anything else, and the woman's nerves were starting to fray.

After the 20 minute mark, she goes over to our newspaper stand, grabs the biggest one and slams it down on the head of the woman getting her tickets checked. Repeatedly.

Security was called and the offending paper was removed. The recipient of the battering had a minor headache but was unharmed, and the woman who did the battering was banned. I haven't heard if she was charged with assault.

Convenient Storage Space II:

Ever seen someone with a large nose ring?
    Ever seen someone hang things off said nose ring?
    Ever seen someone hang their KEYS off said nose ring?
    Ever seen someone sneeze violently while hanging their (Numerous) keys off said nose ring?
    Ever seen what happens when weight + momentum of keys exceeds weight tolerance of nose flesh?

Ever seen bloody keys?

Convenient storage space III:

I quote:

"Hold on- I have to get my toonie out from under my tongue."

(Toonie = $2 coin.)

Clever uses for bills I:

I wonder if it's legal to refuse a 5 dollar bill for health reasons if the customer was using it to floss his teeth with.

Clever uses for bills II:

One word: Kleenex.

More to follow should I remember them.
    Last edited by ackmeow; 11-28-2011, 06:15 PM.
    Go for the eyes!

Updated:

Convenient storage space 4:

Breast implants? Who needs them? Just pad your bra with 20 5 dollar bills and save money! (Of course, you'll have these rectangular lumps on your chesticles that'll give the impression that your body is a fan of neo-cubism)

Planking for candy!

Don't get me wrong, I love kids but when one is planking mid-air by hanging on to our booth's support pillar with his mum pulling on his feet and SCREAMING for kinder eggs you start to wish zipper mouths were an evolutionary advantage.

Cap gun scares the crap out of me!

If you've never run around your back yard with a cap gun playing cops and robbers you might want to ask your parents for a childhood refund. If you have, then skip the next paragraph.

A capgun is a toy gun that mimicks the real thing, sans bullets of death. It has a hammer, a cylinder and a small ring of black powder filled nubs that when struck explode like a firecracker. They were fairly common in 1990 + and I spent many a happy evening scaring the crap out of my cats when I was little.

Guess what I found in the lottery drawer of the booth!

The event shall be portrayed in interpretive dance!

Me:
    Boss:
    Me: (Opens drawer)
    Boss:
    Me: *Pulls trigger* *BANG!!!*
    Boss:
    CW:
    Customers:
    SECURITY:

Me:

Security:
    Boss:

Me:

First Aid to brain!

A poem:

Here comes a little kid with quite the painful laceration
    His shrieks of pain resulting in some earwax dislocation.
    His mother, very irritated asks for a remedy
    and us, now deep in Christmas peril reluctantly agree.

A first-aid kit stocked well we did eventually acquire
    and rummage through it i did look for healing attire.
    The woman's wrath and impatience did shout for me to hurry
    The impudence and selfishness invoked some quiet fury.

Finally I came upon the object of desire
    Quickly I handed it, fearing further Ire.
    A look of horror and confusion spread across her flapper
    For bandage papers were to her as bad as condom wrapper. (She couldn't get the packaging off.)

for several minutes she did fight the bandage valiantly
    but feeling the taste of fail she gave it back to me.
    Twas several seconds work I took to plaster up her brat
    but woman, mode of "idiot," said "Oh hey, I knew that!"

-_-
    Last edited by ackmeow; 11-28-2011, 06:24 PM.
    Go for the eyes!

Comment

How to get me ill through reading....you did it.

Comment

Alas, it appears that Black Friday -- not unlike the Black Death -- may in fact be creeping across the border ...

Apparently that one woman wasn't paying attention when she had to show ID -- a passport now, right? -- to get across the border. That's a surefire clue that you are in a different country, which might actually have different holidays, practices, etc. ...

As for the customer in your little vignette titled 'Forced Sex Change' ... *AAAUUGGGHH* Have you recovered or are you still (understandably!) crouched in a corner??
        Last edited by Pixilated; 11-24-2011, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Well, gee, with such an enticing offer, how can you refuse?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
            Alas, it appears that Black Friday -- not unlike the Black Death -- may in fact be creeping across the border ...

Apparently that one woman wasn't paying attention when she had to show ID -- a passport now, right? -- to get across the border. That's a surefire clue that you are in a different country, which might actually have different holidays, practices, etc. ...

As for the customer in your little vignette titled 'Forced Sex Change' ... *AAAUUGGGHH* Have you recovered or are you still (understandably!) crouched in a corner??

I was creeped out the rest of the day. Fortunately I haven't seen that guy since.

And yeah. Got the memo about black friday. Apparently it's optional. How long it's going to remain "Optional" is beyond me.
            Go for the eyes!

Comment

Welcome to CS. I like you already.

Comment

Quoth ackmeow View Post
                Convenient Storage Space II:

Ever seen someone with a large nose ring?
                Ever seen someone hang things off said nose ring?
                Ever seen someone hang their KEYS off said nose ring?
                Ever seen someone sneeze violently while hanging their (Numerous) keys off said nose ring?
                Ever seen what happens when weight + momentum of keys exceeds weight tolerance of nose flesh?

Ever seen bloody keys?
                Dude, I think you'd better find a new place to store your keys...like your pocket?!

(gets a horrifying mental image of him hanging his keys from a Prince Albert)
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  Dude, I think you'd better find a new place to store your keys...like your pocket?!

And this guy was a regular too! After this little incident he sported a bandage, wounded pride and not a single piercing. His tongue piercing, his ear piercings, everything. Gone.
                  Go for the eyes!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                    Why. WHY. WHYY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL IS HOLY....Did YOU...put THAT up HERE!?

Comment

Quoth ackmeow View Post

Forced sex change? What?:

Because I like to put my hair up in a ponytail, as well as having a few manners of speech and body language I picked up growing up in a mostly female environment I every once and a while have had the amusing occasion when people mistake me for a girl from behind.

Man: Ma'am?
                      Me, in my deepest voice: "Can I help you?"
                      Man: OH! Sorry! Geez, I didn't-
                      Me: *Laughing* It's ok. I get that a lot.
                      Man: Dude, you look like a chick from behind. You should totally get a sex-change.
                      Me: A...What?

Hell. No.
                      As some one pursuing gender reassignment therapy, I see this as very encouraging. It's always nice to know that there are guys out there who will see past it.

Comment

Quoth Kaycichu View Post
                        Why. WHY. WHYY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL IS HOLY....Did YOU...put THAT up HERE!?

Because I'm evil that way.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          I dunno if I should worship you or avoid you...o.o

Comment

Great stories...if a little bit frightening sometimes! to CS!
                            "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth ackmeow View Post

Convenient storage space I:

Ever had a customer pay by pulling bills out of random places? Bras are fairly common but when someone pulls a twenty out of their buttcrack a new level of disgust and imminent contamination rises like an unseen rake handle in your overgrown lawn.

To make matters worse, it was a guy.
                              I think Kisa's story of the woman pulling a baggie of notes out of her cooch is on par with that.

Quoth XCashier View Post

I.........
                              to the Brainbleach store.

A pallet of brainbleach please.

Quoth XCashier View Post
                              Yes, yes you are. Now I have a friend for you. Her name is Ms. Flamey. I believe you two already know each other

Quoth Kaycichu View Post
                              I dunno if I should worship you or avoid you...o.o
                              Go and join the Church of Lupo?

Anyway to the OP,
                              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                              X