This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving Night Madness

I hate people. That's the conclusion I came to after the last two nights. I thought last night was busy, until tonight. When I arrived at work at two this afternoon, things seemed fairly quiet. I was told kitchen had been dead, and up fron was only busy in spurts. For the first few hours, everything was fairly quiet. Then 5:30 or so hit and all hell broke loose. Customers started piling in, and poor coworker C in the kitchen was inundated with pizza orders left, right, up, down, and every way in between. Coworker T had to go and help her out, which left me up front to deal with the masses. Joy. Allow me to make a few observations.

1) I know you're laughing inside when you act like you pity me for working on Thanksgiving. Don't give me that fake ass smile when you try to give me the equally fake ass sympathy act.
    2) How the fuck do you mix up iced tea and coffee? I had a guy get to the counter, and only when I asked him what he had to drink did he realize that he had iced tea, when he'd actually wanted coffee. I...buh...wha...HOW? As if my brain wasn't fried enough by then, he had to make it explode completely.
    3) Listen, wise ass, you're not funny. No, those fuses you're buying for your car aren't discounted. Neither is your pizza. I've got less than two hours to go in my shift, I'm exhausted, and you need to pay for your shit and GTFO. Now.
    4) To the poor guy that came in late into my shift looking for a place to buy a turkey, I am truly sorry. I'm sure your wife really was upset. However, you should have PROBABLY thought that through before tonight. What happened was, he hadn't even considered getting a turkey, and when his wife got home from work tonight, she started yelling at him because she wanted turkey and he had none. Poor dude.
    5) For fuck's sake, people, know which pump you're on, or at least how much gas you have or which vehicle is yours. I can't always keep track when I'm slammed with customers inside the store and outside at the pumps!
    6) We had two phone calls within minutes of each other asking for pumpkin pie spices, one on the kitchen phone, and one up front. To those people, I'm sorry, but why didn't you think of this before today? Also, I'd laugh if these people were in the same house, and turned to each other and said "Well I just called <C-Store> and...Hey wait a minute, so did I!"
    7) Please control your children. Okay, let me elaborate. Control your children in some manner besides standing and yelling across the store at them to 'hurry up' or 'come ON' because that really isn't helping, and it's making my head hurt. Really.
    8) When did my C-Store become a liquor store? I sold an alarming amount of alcohol tonight. Thankfully, everyone cooperated with being ID'd again.
    9) Have ALL of the things you're going to buy picked out before you come up to the counter. I don't have the time or the room for you to set a whole pile of stuff there and wander off to find more. This is just an annoyance in general to me, and didn't help my night any at all.

All in all, my night was chaos. I briefly considered driving down to the city south of where I live to check out the midnight Black Friday stuff but you know what? I'd rather get some sleep. Thank GOODNESS I have tomorrow off!
    Last edited by BrenDAnn; 11-25-2011, 04:12 PM.
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

I have a couple of explanations, just from today.

2) Some of us do not have left-overs because we were called on the way to lunch that we were not, in fact, invited because our brother had threatened to beat up our husband and so we did not get Thanksgiving dinner and the only thing to eat at the house is Ramen.

9) For reason stated for 2, we needed a drink. Several of them, actually.

Thanks to the c-store for being open on the way home.
    "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Comment

Thanks for that, and I'm sorry you went through that! Wow!

Comment

Or those of us who didn't have a place at a table for dinner with friends and/or family.

Why, if I had the money, would I make a bird for just myself?

Comment

Or you could be like me and not care for turkey or the usual Thanksgiving menu. I don't like stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberries, the whole thing. And don't get me started on pumpkin pie. So yes, I almost did order pizza last night.

Comment

Okay guys you're making me feel like an ass now. Enough that I'm going to go back and edit that first post, I think. Sorry for ann offense I caused!
            Last edited by BrenDAnn; 11-25-2011, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Oh, no offense was meant and we know that. I'm guessing that most of the people coming in were a bunch of jerks as it was a holiday. Sorry it was a sucky night.
              "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Comment

I'm sorry you had a such a sucky Thanksgiving at work. Your thread made me so grateful that I didn't have any SCs yesterday at my c-store.
                "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Thanks SuperRTL that makes me feel better. Victory Sabre, the reason we had so many was because we make pizzas, and because we were one of hte very, very few places open last night. That adds up to lots of (non) fun!

Comment

The alcohol is also for when your MIL and BIL keep bouncing insane crackpot theories off each other and their reality is making your head hurt and you realize that the wine you bought as a "hostess gift" isn't cutting it. Yes, we were at the c store and we were VERY nice to the guy running the register. He didn't even have to ask--"Family driving you nuts?"

Comment

Ha--I think it was that, and the football games that were on, that spurred on our alcohol sales. I'm just thankful everyone was decent enough about showing ID, like I said!

Comment

This is a vent site. Don't worry, you have every right to vent about your crappy night at work.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

You have every right to vent. There's nothing wrong with it.

Then there are people like me, who would prefer to avoid family at all costs and see no reason to spend money on a turkey for one person.
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

When I was living in NJ, all I wanted to do was pretend I was sick and stay home for Easter/Christmas/Thanksgiving and have spaghetti because I didn't think I could keep my sanity through another holiday dinner with the in-laws.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                              Why, if I had the money, would I make a bird for just myself?
                              Maybe consider a Cornish Game Hen? They aren't too pricey most of the time, much smaller (an entire bird is the size of a couple of normal chicken breasts mashed together) -- You have to deal with the fiddly little bones but they're quite good when done properly. Wrap 'em in foil, add whatever spices you want, and bake. The package probably has recommended cooking times.
                              Last edited by EricKei; 11-28-2011, 02:53 PM. Reason: etc
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X