This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short one from today

So today within less then 10 minutes I had an SC on the phone.
    DW: me
    PSC: the asshole on the phone
    DW: *answers the phone with my standard spiel* Thank you for calling <my store> where you can get flu shots all day everyday. How can I help you? *note: if I don't say the flu shot part every time I can get in trouble and can even get the whole store in trouble*
    PSC: Don't try to sell me anything! What makes you think I want a flu shot?
    DW: I'm sorry sir, I'm required to say it.
    PSC: blarg blarg blarg I just need someone in photo!
    DW: just a moment sir.

I said everything after his initial outburst in a very polite voice, no anger or annoyance. Cause come on... Do you think I *like* saying that? I don't. It's a pain in the ass. But I *have* too. *sigh*

Oh and the customer I was ringing up (cause I had a line at my register) was like 'Someone's mad you mentioned flu shots?'

Disclaimer: please don't take this to Fratching re flu shots. Thanks.
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

You know, stuff like that just goes right over my head. So many places these days have a recording touting their specials, or the person who answers has to say it, that I don't even notice anymore. That guy was just a jerk.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

^^ Goes right by me, sometimes they get a polite 'no thanks' but otherwise I might not even hear it.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Gee, who would think that someone working at a store would want to sell something?

Comment

I once called somewhere, probably another pharmacy (I don't remember which), and the CSR answered, "Thank you for calling Xxx, my name is Yyy, how may I provide you with excellent customer service today?" First thing out of my mouth, without even thinking, was "Oh my God, you have to say all that every time you answer the phone?" She said "Yup."

Me, I just say, "Pharmacy, Shalom speaking." I figure if my extension is ringing, it means they've already heard the PBX say all that crap, why should I repeat it.

(Sometimes I even answer my home phone that way, if I'm half asleep...)

Comment

Hey DW!

I hate answering the phone that way too, and if I'm really really busy I just say thank you for calling *my store* this is Teefies2 how may I help you? About 90% of the time it's the store manager or community leader calling to talk to whoever is on duty. When they identify themselves, I say, "oh I'm sorry, I forgot the flu shot part" and they laugh and say "we all make mistakes/have a brain burp/forget". So don't sweat it too much!

ETA: You don't have to say "where we offer flu shots all day everyday with no appointment needed"? My store emphasizes the "no appointment needed" part.
            Last edited by Teefies2; 12-04-2011, 05:09 AM. Reason: adding information

Comment

Yep, I identify our store location and say may I help you. Thank god we don't do business over the phone. After close, I just say <store location>.

Comment

We have a specific opening spiel too. I won't say it here, but suffice to say it's annoying! Oh, and if we're answering the kitchen phone it has to be "Thank you for calling <C-Store> Carry-out pizza, our special this month is X, may I take your order?"...Yeah...We get away with leaving the special part out A LOT.
                "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Apparently just before I started working in Jewelry last holiday season they had to say some REALLY long thing at the start of the call...by the time I got there it was much shorter. Now I just have to say Thank You for calling High End Home Store, my name is BTDT, how may I help you today? And even that last bit is kinda ad-libbed, as long as we say the store name and our first name the rest is academic...at some point soon thereafter we do have to give the ATA - affirmation to assist - such as "I'd be happy to help you with this today."
                  "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I've said, "I'm sorry you have to say all that," so many times. Suggestive selling doesn't work that often, and I can't see how that would work on the phone. Is it supposed to make me suddenly decide that I should rush down and get a flu shot? Really?
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Teefies2
                      ETA: You don't have to say "where we offer flu shots all day everyday with no appointment needed"? My store emphasizes the "no appointment needed" part.
                      No. We've not been pushing that. But my SM's recently trying to get us cashiers to do hourly announcements (in store) promoting the flu shot since only one of the pharmacists will with any regularity and one of the pharmacy techs even tries. :rollseyes:

Comment

The cashiers have to do that??? Our head pharmacist does it, or did, until he transferred to another store. We'll see if the new head pharmacist does it (once she gets settled, of course!)

Dang I would hate to have to do that in addition to all the other stuff service clerks do

Comment

Only the 'traveling/rotating' pharmacist does! But at least his are interesting. I love him. He seems like the type of guy that'd tell great stories at a party.

At least one of our regular pharmacists is kinda an asshole. The other? Well I don't really like either of them that much.

Comment

Our rotating pharmacist is seriously weird, as in I wouldn't want to be in the store with him alone. And according to the assistant managers, he's very very needy ... calls IC3 if he has even ONE person in line besides the one he is helping. How do people like that keep their jobs??

Comment

Oh, nothing baffles me more than people who have to answer the phone with "Hello, this is Muff Cutts Salon, where all bikini waxes are half off during our below zero special, also the home of the extreme Brazilian wax! Bareback is the way to go! This is Kayla, how can I help you?"

Yeah, totally exaggerated, but you get my point.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X