X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry We Made Sure You Were OK

This was inspired by Ralerin's post.

About a year ago we got a call from a Store that they heard a child screaming and were worried. My coworker walked down to that area and indeed heard screams of bloody murder. He rounded a corner and observed a family with a handicapped teen in a wheelchair, who was flailing and screaming while the family tried to calm him. They saw coworker, who nodded in greeting and returned to the store that had complained to tell them everything was all right.

Cue the family coming to the office to complain to our then idiot supervisor about coworker Apparently, he 'followed' them all through the mall just because they were (insert minority here) and gave them dirty looks when they couldn't calm their child, making them feel like they had no choice but to leave. Supervisor, being a complete idiot, called coworker in, berated him in front of the family and made him apologize for 'making them feel uncomfortable' (I don't know if it made a difference, but supervisor was the same ethnicity as the complaining family) Umm, ok, then next time we hear your child screaming we WON'T make sure he's ok!
    Last edited by LillFilly; 12-05-2011, 03:01 AM.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Ah, the race card. Will it ever go away? Your supervisor was an ass.

Comment

Since I've read the epic story Vinegar Boy a few times, didn't your doofus supervisor open up the mall (or the store) for a discrimination lawsuit? Having the employee say, "Yes, I did that and I'm sorry" is just asking for the family to come back with their hands out.

Comment

Quoth Grape The Cat View Post
        Ah, the race card. Will it ever go away?
        Yes it will. In the future, when we're all Goobacks (Those future people from South Park)

Oh yeah. They took mah job!
        Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Kind of a related story....

This Thanksgiving we spent at my wife's parent's house. I heard a new story of how they went to Disneyworld when she was a child, and she went on these bumper boats (like bumper cars, but a big motorized car on an innertube, I guess). She said that the boat kept spinning in circles and she couldn't control it. She tried turning the wheel both ways and it wouldn't work, so she let go of the wheel and it kept spinning.

At that point, since the only way she knew how to get help was to scream bloody murder, she screamed and screamed!!! She says people were coming from all over, running to her area to make sure everything was ok. Later on at dinnertime after all the commotion, some would come over to her table and say, "hey, you're the little girl that screamed.." (as if they were seeing a movie star for the first time in person) LOL

Still, the wheelchair incident is a bad story. I probably wouldn't have apologized though, but have said, "uh, I hear people in trouble and I rush over to make sure things are ok, and you're upset over this? And you want me to apologize for trying to be a good samaritan? SRSLY??"

Comment

The race card is actually still valid in many instances. This just didn't happen to be one of them.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
            X