Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

corporate told me you'd fix it for free!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corporate told me you'd fix it for free!!!!

Had a customer talk to me today. I'll call him Mister Liquid, for reasons you'll see.

Mr. Liquid said he'd picked up his wife's computer the day before and nothing had been fixed on it and that it had gotten to the point where a manager had stepped in. At that point he paused and I really picked up on that. I can only assume he didn't want to admit to causing a scene. Still it was enough to set my "suspicion radar" turning a bit.

Then Mr. Liquid went on to say that he'd called the corporation, lodged an "official" complaint about us, and that they had told him to bring it back and that we would fix everything free of charge. Completely free you say... Ok now my "suspicion radar" was at maximum scanning. I was going to open the old log anyway to see what happened but after that I really wasn't going to take his word on anything.

The notes the service center had entered in was that ... the unit was too costly to repair, due to the fact that it had liquid damage. Or rather liquid damage to ..."every single component"

(what the fuck did they do, take a bath with it? spill an *entire* drink all over it, several times?)

Anyway, I talked to a tech and he remembered Mr. Liquid and said he'd get the New Manager. (he's no longer new I need to give him a nickname, so I'll call him George). I pulled the physical paperwork knowing George would want to see it anyway, and then went back to doing other work as George and one of the techs reviewed the paperwork and made some calls about it.

Later... A coworker told me that Mr. Liquid had been trying to get it fixed under the manufacturer's warranty - which explains why he kept going on about how the only problem with it was the mouse. Considering how offended he had been the day before... I can only assume he knew he was trying to pull a fast one on us.

I mean... sure the manufacturer's warranty will cover defects but... Completely *soaking* your computer to the point where it's not worth fixing is NOT a defect. Well, not one with the manufacturer at least!
    Last edited by PepperElf; 12-05-2011, 03:19 AM.

Hooray for order notes that everyone who has touched this particular incident can see...makes it just a tad harder for them to get away with making shit up
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Oh man, please let us know if there is any follow up with this if you know.

Comment

Every component was wet? I once worked in a place where the IT guy would run all the keyboards in the dishwasher, and then leave them out to dry. Was this guy doing the same thing?
        Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

SM - If the keyboard was of a certain vintage, that's actually the recommended way to clean them. I think the only ones like that still in production today are the modern revisions of the Model M-type keyboards (link even includes audio) -- distinguishable by their wonderfully loud *CLAK*CLAK*CLAK* sound when typing on them (YMMV) and the fact that the keys are removable and interchangeable without serious effort. You can just pull off the keys, drop them in a mesh bag, and wash them in a dishwasher with the main body in there as well. As long as everything is totally dry before you reassemble the board, it'll be fine.

As for the systems *themselves*, no, bad idea. ^_^ If power is applied at any time before they dry out fully, it's time to get a new motherboard.
          Last edited by EricKei; 12-05-2011, 02:41 PM.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I've seen those systems that have the motherboard and components (except the drives) completely immersed in a non-conductive coolant. MY GUESS IS THIS WAS NOT ONE OF THOSE SYSTEMS, LOL

Here's the link to one of those systems:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...actor?page=0,0

Comment

Methinks SC heard about 'water-cooled' systems and decided to try it out for himself.

Comment

Even I know computers and water are about as friendly to each other as water and cats are.
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Let us hope that he took his kid saying "Aw, piss on it!" as a command...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    Let us hope that he took his kid saying "Aw, piss on it!" as a command...
                    Especially if his name was Bubba J.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                    X