Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More mini stories from the depths of retail!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More mini stories from the depths of retail!

I had a good weekend at the store.

....Phhh. Nope. Couldn't say that with a straight face.

Can you take advice as well?

We've served this older guy for quite some time now. He's quiet and doesn't cause trouble but today he decided to give me some advice.

Oldy: "You. Know. You. Should. Wish. Customers. Good. Luck."
    Me: "Sorry?"
    Oldy: "It. Will. Increase. Your. Sales. I. Give. You. Good. Advice."
    Me: "Um, thanks."
    Oldy: "Good. Now. Wish. Me. Good. Luck."
    me: "Good luck?"
    Oldy: "With. A. Smile."
    Me: "Uhh-"
    Oldy. "SMILE!"

-_- It's one thing to have a regular tell me this, even though I do on occasion wish people luck despite my lack of faith in luck but when his speech patterns sound like he's going 50 kph on a powered wheelchair over speedbumps AND he demands that I smile on order...

Well, I wish him good luck in getting that!

Poor kid!

A father and his 3 kids were shopping in a store close to ours. I hadn't seen it, but apparently one of his shinkickers had swiped a kinder egg from our display. I did however see the kid eating it.

Now, I'm not sure if the man parented this kid, but if he did I feel for the little tyke. He must have been 4 years old or something and didn't understand there are things you aren't supposed to eat.

Like the wrapper.

And the father was looking dead at him, and scolding the kid for stealing! As he was eating the egg, wrapper and all! I don't know if he ate the toy too but I doubt it.

Anyway, the father pays for the egg. I tell him about the wrapper and he shrugs.

Um, that'll come back to haunt you if it gets stuck in his intestine. Poor kid.

Give her the cane!

I've got family in the medical profession. It kinda rubs off on you.

I had an older customer whose cane wasn't fitted right. I offered to help fit it for him, asking him questions on how he stands etc.

Then the person behind him, a thick lipped platypus of a woman shouts at me.

SC: Can we get a move on? I don't have all day!

Ok, my fault. I held up the nonexistant line. Sorry. Scuse me, sir. I'll just go help this Don Quixote night terror behind you. She's got more shopping to do and I don't want to hold her up because her chocolate bar is going to melt. One second.

Then she throws a fit.

SC: "You should help your customers immediately! No dilly dally! I can't afford to wait in line for you to fix that old $#%#'s cane."

Oh, Ok. That's it. Nope. No more chances. Lady, consider yourself turfed. Nope. Go. I don't care that you need a bar of chocolate. Your hips and pancreas will thank me for the service I'm doing them. If you're rude to the in-firmed, injured or elderly who require support, I'm not going to have a damn thing to do with you.

Ohhhh, that felt good. Sorry, sir. She was a walrus. An angry one.

What about Christmas?

I must admit, just because it's stuffed down our throats every year I'm a little bitter about Christmas. Call me a scrooge.

Well, this fine example of a gene pool belly flop shows up. Lets label her Cheery.

Me: "Happy holidays."
    Cheery: "Um, don't you mean 'Merry Christmas?'"
    Me: "Um-"
    Cheery: "Cause it is Christmas you know. Can't you tell? Don't you see the decorations?"

Lady, Christmas hits the mall so fast I swear it breaks the sound barrier. I've been exposed to the songs, the bells, the panicking shoppers, the giant inflatable displays for the last month. A firecracker going off in your uterus probably wouldn't convey the same shock as walking into the mall when the decorations are up and the music is going full blast for the first time.

Me: "Ok, um, Merry Christmas?"
    Cheery: "Too late! You can't take it back!"

She leaves, grinning from ear to neckline and saunters away. Congrats, woman! You've won the prize of being posted on this forum!

Poke poke!

Being in the booth has it's benefits. I can't be tapped on the shoulder.

Well, unless the customer has an umbrella. Instead of *Tap tap* it's *Jab Jab*

My kidneys thank you for the invasive massage, lady. I know who to call if my liver needs scratching. Say, do you take requests? Can you scratch the roof of your mouth via rectal entry?

Rice Crispy XXX

We sell rice crispy slabs. Their dimensions are about 1 foot by 4 cm by 8 cm. We in the booth have a standing bet for anyone who can put the entire thing in their mouth. Of course, the dirty connotations come with the package, but it wasn't our intent when we put the $20 down.

One fine specimen of human evolution pointed this out.

SC: "So, I have to, like deepthroat this rice crispy square?"

Sure. Of course, doing the aforementioned act would be like swallowing a roll of sandpaper. Good luck with that. Oh, wait. Your kids wanna try? What a valuable life lesson!

Someone call child services.

OH NOES! THE DUST SPIDERS!!

Our booth is horribly dusty. The roof support bars can't be cleaned properly and accumulate dust like mad. Sometimes a little ball of fluff falls off and gently wafts it's way to gravity.

I will never forget the look on that woman's face as a dust bunny floated inbetween us and landed on the counter.

Oh, did she shriek. one big drawn out scream of horror and panic as two syllables creased her face into abject terror.

"SPIIIIDEEERRRRR!!!!"

Bwahahahahahahaha... If only that happened more often. I'd pay for a camera just for the footage.
    Go for the eyes!

Wow, sounds like a prime parent ... watching the kid eat the wrapper ...

So did you actually just walk away from the Snooty B*tch?

Comment

I actually enjoy the rare occasions when people actually have the brass juevos to TELL me to smile. I use it as an excuse to break out patented "Oh Shit he's going for my neck!" grin ^_^

Oddly enough, nobody has ever asked me twice...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
        Wow, sounds like a prime parent ... watching the kid eat the wrapper ...

So did you actually just walk away from the Snooty B*tch?
        I told him the possibilities of what might happen if the wrapper caused complications, but he said that the kid had already swallowed a quarter and that it came out, so he isn't worried.

I can't parent for him. There wasn't much I could do.

Hopefully it balls up. If it stays in wrapper form it could cause problems.
        Last edited by ackmeow; 12-12-2011, 03:53 PM.
        Go for the eyes!

Comment

Hate to tell the lady, but Christmas isn't till the 25th.
          It makes sense.

Comment

I have no problem with Happy Holidays, as for me at least, Christmas and NYE are the Happy Holidays! Time off work, bbq's, beer galore! Good friends, and family!

I don't see it as being PC, when you are wishing tons of people Merry Christmas day in and day out, it's nice to change it up a little!
            "You're perfect yes it's true, but without meeeee you're only you!"

Comment

I always took the following precautions at the wholesale club:

IF Customer is wearing a Christianity-themed shirt OR other Christianity-related accesories (e.g. cross/crucifix pendant/necklace) OR otherwise indicates their Christianity (e.g. wishing ME a "Merry Christmas")

THEN wish them a "Merry Christmas."

IF Customer has a Star of David necklace/pendant OR otherwise indicates their being Jewish

THEN wish them a "Happy Hanukkah." (If Hanukkah has not passed already.)

ELSE wish them a "Happy Holidays."

This always served me well. Got one or two people that got snippy, and I just told them "I wish them Happy Holidays unless I know they celebrate Christmas," which always seemed to work.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I would wear both a Christmas shirt and a star of david to confuse you, Jay! >.>

To the OP: I'm wishing you went a little more in depth with the lady in the cane story too. What exactly did you tell her? lol

Comment

Quoth Draco View Post
                  I would wear both a Christmas shirt and a star of david to confuse you, Jay! >.>
                  That's when I'd wish you a Merry ChristmaHanakKwanzaa.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Holy days = Holidays. I swear, I'm going to buy a billboard with that on it.

The nasty lady bitching about the old guy and the cane makes me want to introduce a cane to her internal anatomy, through...well, you know...like you said about the umbrella
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth ackmeow View Post
                      Say, do you take requests? Can you scratch the roof of your mouth via rectal entry?
                      From the sound of her, she probably has extensive experience in that arena. Perhaps a doctorate degree!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                        I always took the following precautions at the wholesale club:

IF Customer is wearing a Christianity-themed shirt OR other Christianity-related accesories (e.g. cross/crucifix pendant/necklace) OR otherwise indicates their Christianity (e.g. wishing ME a "Merry Christmas")

THEN wish them a "Merry Christmas."

IF Customer has a Star of David necklace/pendant OR otherwise indicates their being Jewish

THEN wish them a "Happy Hanukkah." (If Hanukkah has not passed already.)

ELSE wish them a "Happy Holidays."

This always served me well. Got one or two people that got snippy, and I just told them "I wish them Happy Holidays unless I know they celebrate Christmas," which always seemed to work.
                        I like this approach a lot. I might just start using it. With your permission of course.

Comment

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post
                          I like this approach a lot. I might just start using it. With your permission of course.
                          Feel free. It was just me using common sense. That most rare of superpowers.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            That's when I'd wish you a Merry ChristmaHanakKwanzaa.
                            Heh. That's got a nice ring to it. Maybe i'll start using it.
                            Go for the eyes!

Comment

Oh Hell no! You DO NOT poke me! I will take your poking device and I will put my foot up your ass!

Sorry, sorry.. I just H-A-T-E when people poke me with stuff.

On Facebook, people will keep sending me invites to "Keep Christ in Christmas" groups.. I tell em I will do that if they celebrate Christmas around the time he was really born.. What most people celebrate now is Saturnalia, a Pagan celebration (although they will throw a huge f-ing fit when you tell them that)
                              http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

Working...
                              X