X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Cards and Suck minis

Long time reader first time poster.

Credit Card Suck:
    Okay at my job we offer a store credit card and are able to process an application for you right there in the store. Here comes the suck: I don't know why but I've had people especially the older people flat out refuse to continue an application because they don't want to give their ss# or their annual income etc, due to privacy and they don't understand why we need that information. Um...hello, how is the company suppose to know who you are so they can make a decision on if you're going to get approved and how much of a limit they feel comfortable giving to you. What kills me the most is I see multiple credit cards in these peoples wallets when they open them and you really expect me to believe that this information was required for them to get those? ugh.

Um..wait, are you implying im lazy?

This one's a short one but it really pissed me off. Where I work I'm a customer service associate and technically, at least for the past couple of months, I'm not the only cashier operating anymore, along with all of the other things I have to do, answer phones, credit apps/payments, customer complaints etc. Well I happen to have my light off this one day and I'm standing to the left of my register doing actual work, when my supervisor asks a customer in one of the other lines to come over to me to be rung out since the other cashier was going to break, which I have no problem with. So the douche comes over smiles and says "oh I guess he wanted you to actually do something" and then he expected me to laugh. Um.. are you kidding me, I'm the one who does everything most of the time and I finally get a brief break and you think it's funny to call me lazy? arg!

Thanks for reading my first time rants

Quoth allynn View Post
    Long time reader first time poster.

Credit Card Suck:
    Okay at my job we offer a store credit card and are able to process an application for you right there in the store. Here comes the suck: I don't know why but I've had people especially the older people flat out refuse to continue an application because they don't want to give their ss# or their annual income etc, due to privacy and they don't understand why we need that information. Um...hello, how is the company suppose to know who you are so they can make a decision on if you're going to get approved and how much of a limit they feel comfortable giving to you. What kills me the most is I see multiple credit cards in these peoples wallets when they open them and you really expect me to believe that this information was required for them to get those? ugh.
    They probably got the other cards thru mail offers, and are more cautious about giving out their SSN and other info in public. Sadly, nowadays people can't always trust the workers taking their info (or anyone standing nearby)

to no-longer-lurking on
    Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
    At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

I get the social thing all the time too.

"Do you know your account number?"
      "No"
      "What's your social?"
      "I'm not giving you this, I'll give you my name *insert extremely common name*"

Of course, they don't realize that when I do finally find them in the system, their social is the first thing I see.
      There had to be DUMB in the water today. - Summerfly413

Comment

Quoth allynn View Post
        Um..wait, are you implying im lazy?

"oh I guess he wanted you to actually do something" and then he expected me to laugh.
        Ugh, what a jerk! I hate people who assume that just because you aren't helping them or doing the traditional part of the job (checking out) they assume you must be loafing around.

I actually have patrons who look back and forth at myself and my coworker to try to decide who's more bored at the moment so they can go to that person. Uh, hello? I'm reading book reviews and looking up prices and my coworker's updating the website. We're both busy, but we're also both here to help you check out books. Either desk if fine, thanks.

Comment

Quoth vikingchyk View Post
          They probably got the other cards thru mail offers, and are more cautious about giving out their SSN and other info in public. Sadly, nowadays people can't always trust the workers taking their info (or anyone standing nearby)
          This is true, but it's still pretty silly to expect to get an answer without giving out that info. They must know they had to provide SSN and/or income info to get those other cards....how do they think they're going to get a yes or no without providing that again? People are dumb.
          Last edited by Ree; 12-19-2011, 12:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

might want to suggest to the higher-ups to revamp the system ... where i am, the customers can enter the ssn into the pin pad so we don't have to see it. same with income information. only things i normally have to ask for are the basics ... name, address, phone, rent/own, etc.

Comment

Cashiers at MalMart were supposed to push credit cards, but we never did. I had a few people ask to get a card, but none ever went through. The three reasons were:
              1) They were an international student with no SSN#
              2) They had bad credit. How did I know? Because the person would laugh it off and explain why they were declined, before pulling out another card to charge their order.
              3) They got a MalMart credit card earlier that day/week and wanted another one, but the system declined.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                might want to suggest to the higher-ups to revamp the system ... where i am, the customers can enter the ssn into the pin pad so we don't have to see it. same with income information. only things i normally have to ask for are the basics ... name, address, phone, rent/own, etc.
                This is a really good idea.

I would NEVER give out my SSN in public. There's these scammers called surfers who are adept at grabbing this kind of information seemingly out of thin air.

Those old folks were doing the right thing, even if they weren't sure why.

Use of a pin pad would help fix that issue.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                  Use of a pin pad would help fix that issue.
                  Unless of course, the pinpad in question had a scamming device on it. It wouldn't happen so much INSIDE of stores, but I've already heard stories about them on gas pumps, and even bank ATMs located AT the bank.

Comment

Well I don't actually see their ss# they do it on the pin pads themselves, but as soon as it asks that question they say forget about it. I understand privacy, but they should know that the company needs to identify them in order to give them credit or decline otherwise anybody could get any amount of credit.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                      Unless of course, the pinpad in question had a scamming device on it. It wouldn't happen so much INSIDE of stores, but I've already heard stories about them on gas pumps, and even bank ATMs located AT the bank.
                      Actually, there was a recent case (this year) of fraudulent POS PIN pad skimmers installed inside at least 80 stores belonging to a major crafts chain. Nothing is safe
                      Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
                      At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Working...
                      X