This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, the cust is not always right

So, my company offers occasionally gift cards for customers who sign up for 2 year contracts with their cable/phone/internet bundle. There are a few conditions, however, to get the gift card, the main one being that your account must be in good standing for the first 3 months, and you would receive it approx 3-5 weeks after the 90 day mark.
    Well, this was not explained to a lot of customers, so the company made a change to that: As long as we can review the account and see that the cust was no more than 30 days past due during the first 3 months, we can manually request the card be sent out, which takes approx 3-5 weeks from the time of request.

Most people understand this, and are even grudgingly thankful when this is explained in full.

MOST.

I'll skip the meat of the beginning of the convo, but during it the sc acknowledged that she had been told that the account could not be past due and that the card should arrive between Nov and mid Dec.
    I review the account, see that she was 30 days past due the 2nd and 3rd months, so I explain what I'll be doing and the wait.

SC –“ Wait, so I have to wait ANOTHER month to get MY gift card?!? Blarghety!!”
    Me – Again, I’m sorry, but that is the procedure, your account was past due twice during he first 3 months, so I have to
    SC – (cutting me off) “IT WAS NOT!!! I paid on time!!!”
    Me – Ma’am, here are the dates and the amounts ..
    SC – (Cutting me off again) “I don’t care what you say! I am the customer, I say it was on time, and the customer is always right!!”

At this point, I’d had about enough of this, and when she tries to rewrite history? No.

Me – “Actually ma’am, I’m sorry, but NO. The customer is not always right. “
    SC – “SO YOU WILL..wait, what did you say?”
    Me – “The customer is not always right.”
    SC – splutter splutter “Well…how do you expect to keep customers then?”
    I kid you not 120 to 0 in less than 5 seconds. I could HEAR the deer in the headlights look!
    Me – “With courtesy and compassion, ma’am. If I could get you taken care of, I would. But this is a process and I have no control over it.”
    SC – “but….”
    Me – “I understand, you probably wanted the card for extra Christmas shopping, I can hear the little ones having fun back there” (And I could, not sucky kids, just happy and noisy like kid playing)
    SC – “ Yeah, I did” (laughs a little)
    The rest of the call was pretty mellow and laid back, but in the middle there.. WOW.
    Felt good though!

You successfully defused a Sucktomer and got the call back under control!

Well done!
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

That...was FANTASTIC.

You short-circuited her nonsense with that comment and that was that. EXCELLENT!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I like to comment

"a customer is someone who pays their bill. Somone who goes delinquient stops being a customer and becomes Freeloader. it's our duty as employees to teach those kind of people that nothing comes free!"
        Last edited by nuthing12; 12-17-2011, 04:25 AM.
        Part Angel Part Sadist

Comment

Good for you! Sometimes it's amazing what a courteously delivered slice of truth can do.

Comment

Wow, how did you get your mind control powers and where can I pick-up a set!?
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I'm going to try it again, see if it works. Wish me luck!

Comment

I wish I could get away with saying things like that to my callers. Unfortunately, even if the situation was defused and everything turned out great, I'd probably get dinged for not following proper SOP. Oh well, glad it's not like that everywhere
                "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Are there any CS trophies handed out this year, or general Christmas gifts from the staff? I nominate YOU as a recipient!

Comment

It's possible to diffuse a bad situation, in the exact way the OP did. Some people are able to see their wrong-acting, and snap out of it. Some people are so far lost, this trick won't work, but it's never a bad idea to at least try. Then no one can come back and say you didn't try to stop the yelling.

My shift lead is of a very choleric personality, and she's too far gone to be helped. A normal person, you'd be able to get them to calm down and start using logic, in most cases. But, when I've tried to diffuse my shift lead's temper tantrums, she just gets louder and louder and more defensive.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

*standing ovation* that was AWESOME! Glad she handled it well, but sounds like you said just the right things in just the right way. Props to you for that!
                      Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                      What's the difference?
                      We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Oh, such epic ownage. It is truly amazing to hear about (or see first-hand) just how befuddled a customer is when you do not cave to their demands. So so many people seem to feel "no" is such a foreign word that when they hear it, they get a mental blue screen of death. Then any conversation following it is you rebooting the customer in safe mode.

It's unfortunate no one can scream at a bad customer and tell them how cheap/dumb/greedy/etc. they are, but there is sometimes a way to tell them professionally to STFU. You totally pulled it off.

Comment

Working...
                        X