This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You were told!

I have been working security for a local arts festival (which is run by a non profit organization) and all had been going fine and everyone seemed to be happy, until now.

To help you understand I will explain a couple things first: I am in charge of turning off the lights and locking up at closing time. 6pm.
    First: (5:30) I shut down the music and bring in any outdoor signs.
    Second: (5:45) I turn off the lights in the center aisle and post a volunteer worker at the front door to inform people that we about to close.
    Three: (5:50) the manager make an announcement that we are closing in ten minutes.
    Four: (5:55 give or take a minute) I shut off all non essential lights.
    (These are what I call the four steps of GTFO)

At 6pm I lock the front door and let the volunteers go home, and let any customers leave.

Around the 5:55 time after the lights go out must everyone get the point and ether goes up to the counter to make there purchase or leaves. In this case that's not what happened with this one "lady".

She came in at about 5:50 just after the announcement. The guy I had stationed at the door informed her that we were in the process of closing. She blows him off.
    After I completed step four I returned to the check out desk to see how many people were still in the building. Their were two customers being rung up and she would have been the last.

5:58:
    SC: Excuse me, I noticed you shut off the lights what time is it?

Me: It is 5:58.

SC: Well I don't like having the light shut off on me, if you had waited a few more minutes I might have bought something.

SC after being let out by the door guy: This is terrible way to run a business.

The next day I hear from the manager that she came back to complain some more. She wanted to know why any one would close at 6pm this close to Christmas and don't we thing the artist would want to be open later to sell more and blah blah blah.

And here is what the manger told her (more or less)

We are a non profit organization. We don't have the money to spend on long staff hours. and if the artist wanted us to be open later it would mean that they would have to be here later as well.(and if they wanted to wok all the time they wouldn't be artists)

"Poor planning on your part (showing up 2 minutes before close) does not constitute an emergency on mine! OUT!"

Comment

Quoth azrael View Post
      SC: Well I don't like having the light shut off on me, if you had waited a few more minutes I might have bought something.
      "And we prefer to have visitors listen to our announcements that the store is closing soon. If you would have listened instead of taking your time, we could have accommodated you even better. See you tomorrow morning bright and early!"

Comment

Quoth LadyKelli666 View Post
        "Poor planning on your part (showing up 2 minutes before close) does not constitute an emergency on mine! OUT!"

Yep. Of course, if the shoe was on the other foot, she would be LIVID that anybody would suggest she should stay later to accommodate them ...

Comment

Yeah...not every place stays open late, even during the holidays, esp. if it's not a big-box store.

I can't believe she made another trip back just to complain. Get over yourself already!
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have bought anything, anyway. Probably just bitched about how expensive everything was and who do they think they are, blah blah blah....
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Odds are ...

This person is also the same one who complains about people working on holidays and after midnight etc.

Comment

Quoth azrael View Post
                (and if they wanted to wok all the time they wouldn't be artists)
                Sorry to break it to you, but being an artist often means you have to work more than a 9 to 5 schedule, not less.

Comment

Artist

Quoth charred View Post
                  Sorry to break it to you, but being an artist often means you have to work more than a 9 to 5 schedule, not less.
                  It not the amount of hours worked, a driven artist could easily work 16 hour days for a month when they have a project they love developing before their eyes.

But an artist works best when the muse hits, not on a fixed schedule. Art done to a fixed time clock tends to be commercial art, and while that does not not stop it from being good art. It rarely is GREAT! art.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                    "See you tomorrow morning bright and early!"
                    Not a chance. She'll show up at 5:50 p.m. on the nose, and complain again.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                    X