This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the dumb one in

Last Saturday I was closing up shop by myself. Fifteen minutes after close I had turned off the registers and was about to turn off the lights. As I was making sure I hadn't forgotten anything, I heard a knock at the door.

It was one of our least welcome regulars. She is notorious for coming in a few minutes before close and taking her dear sweet time to shop. She always gets more than she can afford and always takes forever to decide what she wants to keep.

I smile apologetically at her and tell her that we are closed. She shouts through the door that she "only needs one thing." I tell her that I can't due to the registers being off. That's when she utters a line that made my jaw drop.

"Can you just give me the stuff and I'll pay you tomorrow." I tell her no, of course. She proceeds to stare at me through the door so I just ignore her and go to turn off the lights. Only when the store went dark did she go on her merry way.
    My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Ugh my gawd I hate last minute shoppers, especially ones like her. I had a group of guys tonight literally at the last minute come to get gas. I had to wait until they had fueled up, stood inside the store talking, and one of them used the restroom before I could close up. Fun times.
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I've read stories like this before. Is it wrong to "make up" something like the registers automatically shut down at xx:xx no matter who is in line?" If not, I suggest a couple of things, and obviously check with management if these are repeat offenders:

1. One thing eh? Ask her what it is, then go so far as to make her wait at the register while you get it. Go the extra mile and bring up 2 or 3 of the same thing, maybe even in a different size, so now she has a choice. If she wants something else, tell her to come back when the store opens tomorrow, or just remind her that she said "one thing".

2. Do you have lines in the store when the front doors are locked? If so, it won't work. But, if not, tell her that if she isn't by the register at xx:xx that the registers are closed, you're taking your drawer to the office, and at that point she is trespassing on private property. Again, check with your managers and only do this for repeat offenders.

Comment

She wasn't in line or even inside. She was outside the locked door and was trying to get me to reopen. And the registers were off and the money locked up, I wouldn't have been able to even if I wanted.
        My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

Wait, she actually thought "give it to me and I'll pay you tomorrow" would work? Wow. Yeah, no.
          "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
          "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
          Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Oh my word.

She's no dumb bunny, but she's no Carmen Sandiego, either.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I'm sorry. I was aware of that, but I meant that if she tries this the next time since you mentioned that this is a habit of hers.

Comment

Locked door+lights out=closed
                Unlocked door+lights on=open

Is that too difficult for some people? And paying tomorrow?
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post

Apparently so. With them, it's: I am the Almighty Customer and the Ruler of All I Survey > Employees need to close the store

Oh, and sure, I'll just give you merchandise and trust that you'll pay tomorrow. Riiiigghhhtt. I'm sure you'll pay me with a winning lottery ticket, as well.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Some folks are horrible at math. The woman in the OP however...never passed pre-k counting and telling time, apparently. Wow!
                    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
                      "Can you just give me the stuff and I'll pay you tomorrow."
                      "Sorry, Wimpy. We don't take IOUs."
                      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Once I had a woman wander in half an hour after we closed (she had been eating in the attached cafe, which closes later than the bookstore) and wanted to buy a pile of things. The registers were long shut down, of course, and she couldn't understand why she couldn't just leave a blank check and take the stuff.
                        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

When the door is locked, and the lights are out, they demand to be let in to shop.

When the door is open, and the lights are on, they stick their head in the door and ask, "Are you open?"
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

She probably thought she should be allowed in as she was only coming to shop a few minutes later than usual.

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                              "Sorry, Wimpy. We don't take IOUs."
                              Damn, someone beat me to the Wimpy reference.

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!"
                              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X