Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you don't even have to have a pp account these days to use them to pay. you *can* log in and use your information but you don't have to.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      All you need to do is go to a bank and open an account. And if you go to a credit union all you need to pay is 5 bucks to open an account with free checking.
      Not anymore. I'm wanting to switch from BoA and some of the banks and CUs that I've checked with want to run a credit check first....
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth starsinthesky View Post
        My dh sells on ebay sometimes. He has a few hard and fast rules on all things he sells. A few years ago he had listing sell and sends the invoice. The guy responded that he doesn't use paypal and that he can send a money order. My dh politely declines and reminds him that the listing states that he only takes paypal. The guy responds that it is against Ebay policy to only take paypal and not money orders, and he would report him to ebay if he didn't accept his form of payment. My dh told him to go ahead and report it if he felt he needed to, but that he would take a payment by paypal only.
        Seeing as eBay bought Paypal several years ago, I don't see them ever making it so a seller is required to offer other payment options.

Comment

I understand the some people ar leery about PayPal having access to their bank accounts. But that's no excuse for being rude. I didn't see a lot of your Dad's actual responses... did he tell the guy to take a hike or???????
          The comments after the bolded are my Dad's thoughts. However, since this guy didn't actually buy anything my Dad is just ignoring the message. He doesn't plan to write anything back to the whiner at all. (though he kindly gave me permission to post it here )
          My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

I would never consider sending cash for an eBay transaction. Before I got a bank account and PayPal, I would pay via money order. Some sellers would see I had 100% positive feedback as a buyer and would be willing to bend the rules if I asked to send a MO. Some didn't want to, and that's okay. From what I know, eBay doesn't even allow you to list money orders as a payment option any more, and never have they allowed you to pay in cash (have they?).

With anything I auction, if you can't pay with PayPal, you don't get the item. The End. If someone is reeeeeeeally nice and has good buyer feedback and asks if they can pay with a check or money order or what-not, I will probably say it's okay. But what is this moron trying to accomplish by being an asshole? Does he think if he bitches loud and long enough, your dad will just sell him the camera for cash to shut him up? And then I'm sure he'd turn right around and try to get your dad in trouble with eBay for accepting anything other than PayPal.

Comment

Back when I first Ebayed, the preferred method of payment was money orders. But that was 11 years ago.

I sold a refurbished 1930's Rolleiflex a few years back when I desperately needed the money.. My heart still aches that I had to part with it.
              http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

I had an early handheld movie camera...it was dusty, dirty and I don't think it worked, but my plan was to restore it for a display piece. A classmate's friend was ready and willing to help as soon as we both found the time.

Mom found the camera during one of her cleaning binges and I think it got thrown out I have no idea if it was valuable or not, but it was one of my prized local trash-pick finds.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                  Not anymore. I'm wanting to switch from BoA and some of the banks and CUs that I've checked with want to run a credit check first....
                  That's pretty typical these days. Too many deadbeats running around writing bad checks. Every account, bank or credit union, that I've opened since 2000 has been run through Chekserve (they call it something else now, I forget what, Teleserve?). They can keep you on that for 7 years. I got lucky, and got a WaMu account after only 3 (and had to make do with an old checking account in another state that I had never closed until I could get a local account).

Quoth HappyFun Ball View Post
                  Back when I first Ebayed, the preferred method of payment was money orders. But that was 11 years ago.

I sold a refurbished 1930's Rolleiflex a few years back when I desperately needed the money.. My heart still aches that I had to part with it.
                  I paid or took payment in money orders exclusively when I started with eBay. I took checks at first, but was smart enough never to ship the item until it cleared cleared. I never got a bad check, but I just got lucky I think. I felt better with money orders, and I specified US Postal Money orders--those are as good as cash, and I'd ship right away.

I loved Pal Pal and didn't think the fees were onerous as a seller given that I didn't pay anything else for services. I used to use it to transfer money between my out of state checking account (where I had direct deposit) into my local savings account (before I could get a checking account locally due to a screw up of mine years earlier) so I could have access to cash more easily--that was free, but it took a few days. Wires are hideously expensive, even though quick.

I don't eBay much anymore, so my PayPal account doesn't get used much unless I buy something online that allows PayPal as an option. I prefer it to entering credit card information over and over when I'm buying one thing at a site I'm unlikely to buy regularly from.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

A big problem with banks and CUs now is that they are doing credit checks for savings accounts now. The big pain in my ass is that I love my CU, but I am not the primary account holder, my ex is and they can't simply switch to me as primary nor can they see if I can get my own account unless I am no longer on the current account. It does not matter how long I've been a member there, they still must do a credit check in order for me to get me own account.

My ex will bring up me getting my own account sometimes, I just try to placate him till he forgets.
                    http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      A few weeks later s/he messages me again wanting to buy it off me 'i'll pay you what my bid was please please give this to me"
                      lol! Really? So you outbid her, and she wants to buy it for what SHE bid? So you'd lose the shirt, AND the bid price difference, and I assume the postage to send it to her too. Dreamstalker, how could you resist such an offer?

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                      exactly what is holding them back from openning an account in a diffirent bank with a limited amount of money in it?

I've been doing this from the time I started buying things online. I have an account completely separate from my 'IRL' accounts. Stock it in person with cash every once in a while. If I have a big purchase forthcoming I put that much more in that day. Has only been hit once , by what I suspect was an employee of a small specialty shop. But I got all my money back.

Comment

I don't have a pay pal attitude! Cash is great- send me the cash in the mail!

2 wks later-

Cash? What cash? I didn't get any cash in an unlabeled envelope from somebody I don't know!
                        But you can still have the item if you send me more cash!
                        "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

Comment

No thank you. I'm content with money orders and paypal.

Actually, for my birthday present to myself, back in 2005, I found on e-bay a copy of my favorite board game in the world. Clue Master Detective, to be precise. It's extremely rare as they don't make it anymore. So I found a seller on e-bay, and I bought the game. I asked, however, via e-mail, if he would allow me to wait three days. (That was when I'd get paid.) And in return for waiting, I'd pay him a little extra, in the form of a money order.

The seller agreed. As soon as I cashed my check, I got my money order and sent it in the mail. And a week later, my game showed up. It had everything but the dice. But that was no problem. My brother and I were D&D players. We had dice everywhere.

By the way, this was in late August, and my birthday is October 1st. There's nothing wrong with shopping early.

What's the difference between cash and money orders? Easy. Money orders come with this nifty little piece that you tear off and keep for yourself that reflects how much money the order is worth. Instant proof in any dispute. Cash doesn't have that.
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
                            IFrom what I know, eBay doesn't even allow you to list money orders as a payment option any more, and never have they allowed you to pay in cash (have they?).
                            This was from the "old days", so it may not still be valid, but I paid for an eBay purchase in cash. I was looking for (future needs) a particular type of gardening equipment (no longer sold for ordinary mortals, only the super-expensive "professional" models have been made in the past 20 years), and one showed up for auction as "local pickup only" (understandable, since it's a bulky, heavy device with a gasoline engine - can you say "hazardous materials"?). Due to the shipping restriction, I was the only bidder, and got it for 25 bucks. Seller lived around 600 miles from me. Can you say "Road trip"? Cash was fine with the seller.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

One reason not to use Paypal is the fees. It doesn't affect the buyer, but it does take a small chunk from the seller's end.

When I sell stuff, I accept cheques, but I haven't had anyone pay by cheque for an age. I would much rather have the money straight away and then be able to post out the next day.
                              "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                                lol! Really? So you outbid her, and she wants to buy it for what SHE bid? So you'd lose the shirt, AND the bid price difference, and I assume the postage to send it to her too.
                                She wasn't even the first runner-up; the ultimate difference in our bids was something like $20. Postage would have been half that if the shirt was to arrive intact.

Although, had I really wanted to be evil, they were asking for an off-ebay transaction so there would have been no proof she sent any money at all (wanted to send cash)...and I could have reported them as well.

I don't really sell on "FeePay" anymore since they started double-dipping on fees...I was able to squeak by with charging exact shipping until they decided to take fees on the shipping as well.
                                Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-12-2012, 11:45 AM.
                                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                                X