Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was probably a bit sucky, but still....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was probably a bit sucky, but still....

why do people feel the need to control how others feel?? I have been working my butt off to prepare for the inevitable giftcard rush today, since yesterday was a nightmare. I took a lady's order, grabbed it, and went to take her money. She set it down out of reach (with cups and junk in the way), which I hate. People always do this. I was miffed, and have literally been running all over in a hurry, so I slid the hand scanner over kind of hard (to move it out of the way so I could slide the money toward me). The case fell on the floor. At this point she said, "Having a bad day?" I was about to answer yes, and tell her why, but thought better of saying, "Yes, every day." It wouldn't be appropriate. She went on and almost immediately came out with "Where's your manager??" I told her up front somewhere and as she was walking away, she kept repeating "crabby, crabby". Why, yes, I am, but I didn't take it out on her. I just declined to answer her question right away. As she walked away she was facing me repeating the crabby thing. I looked at her and said, "I'm sorry, but I feel how I feel." She didn't talk to the manager; he was with a customer. There will probably be a call later.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Sorry you had to put up with that. I hate people like that. First they do something stupid that makes your job harder, than they get all passive-aggressive about it.

Have some hot chocolate...with whipped cream and sprinkles (and a shot of something stronger, if you like).
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I hate change and money on the counter, too I find it so rude, especially when I've got my hand out for it first. And then the hold their hand out for the change! Argh

Anyway, doesn't sound like you did anything wrong other than shoving too hard. I would have done the same, TBH. I'm always moving their purchases aside to get to the money and then I slooowly drag the change over to me lol.

I hope the stress eases up for you and know that you're not alone!

Comment

It does. I'm just sick of being told I'm wrong to have feelings. It's one thing if I say something rude or throw somethin' at 'em, but I actually said nothing. Even that gets me in trouble. Time for a new job; this is ridiculous.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I would have looked at her blankly and said "Huh? No, I'm having a good day. I just couldn't reach your money without needing to move some stuff out of the way."

No idea if she would get the hint or not...

Comment

i once had a coworker who tried to counsel me when she knew i was upset over something... except her attitude was that it was unprofessional for me to even feel that way.

she didn't like my answer. my answer being that my feelings were not wrong and that the only thing that mattered was how i ACTED upon them.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              i once had a coworker who tried to counsel me when she knew i was upset over something... except her attitude was that it was unprofessional for me to even feel that way.

she didn't like my answer. my answer being that my feelings were not wrong and that the only thing that mattered was how i ACTED upon them.
              I had someone doing that to me, too, once. She even decided that that was the reason I had a migraine and proceeded to try to do Reiki on me! (Not to mention that she hadn't put back a single piece of clothing for the whole damn 5 hours she was there before I came in and was trying to leave me with all of it plus whatever I got to put back the rest of the evening!)

I, not very politely, told her where to get off. Then had a word with one of the ASMs. She made sure this "lady" left me alone the rest of the time before she left for the day.
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Do ALL customers expect us to be cheerful in our job description after the crap that they dish out to us on a daily basis for a lowly hourly wage and crappy benefits?

This woman is as far away from reality as she can get. Once a customer was yelling at me and I thought she sounded so stupid for acting like that way, I just grinned at her and said nothing. She shrieked, "STOP SMILING AT ME!" and went to talk to my manager about my "insubordination." The manager told me later that he didn't see one thing I did wrong, so why should I be punished? We had a big laugh out of that!

So we can even get complaints for being happy. Is there no justice in this world of retail?

Comment

Why yes, downforit, they do, in fact, expect us to be all sunshine and fucking rainbows every second that we're working. Ask me. I lost count of how many times an SC has told me to smile, or called me "Smiles" or "Smiley" in a sarcastic way because I wasn't smiling. Well, fuck them. Fuck them all. Especially fuck the bitch in the OP. No one should treat another human that way. Ever. Food Lady, I do hope your manager chalks it up to a bad day if that "lady"ends up calling him. Sorry you had to deal with that!

ETA: To the ones who do bitch at us for not smiling, I'd like to direct one of my favorite quotes, from Emmett Honeycutt of Queer as Folk: "Little Mary Sunshine died. I'm Little Mary Go-Fuck-Yourself!"
                  Last edited by BrenDAnn; 12-29-2011, 06:50 AM.
                  "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn
                    ETA: To the ones who do bitch at us for not smiling, I'd like to direct one of my favorite quotes, from Emmett Honeycutt of Queer as Folk: "Little Mary Sunshine died. I'm Little Mary Go-Fuck-Yourself!"
                    Omg! I love Emmett and QaF!!!

Back to the OP: this is just more reason I hate people and retail. I'm a very expressive person and can be kinda intense when in a good mood or hyper. But when I'm down/depressed/or blue I can be really quiet. And my regulars notice it. Most don't comment though. Even if I do get an occasional 'Smile!' from some.
                    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Ohhh hot diggity, when regular SCs at the gas station called me "Smiley" or "Happy Girl" because I wasn't happy to see them or when they tried to tell me to smile or enjoy my job more, I just had this urge to punch.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Ugh, I hate it when people order me to smile. I have Aspergers, and I generally don't smile; I try to look pleasant at work, but even doing that makes me feel as tho I'm doing something completely out of the ordinary, like standing on my head or playing a piano with my feet.

I loathe people going, "Cheer up!" when I'm perfectly happy, thank you. Just cuz I'm not grinning like an ape doesn't mean I'm not happy. Oh, and if you see me in tears? Be afraid... I'm not upset, actually; I'm rabidly angry.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

OK, I have to admit...sometimes I feel a little disappointed when a cashier (for example) doesn't smile or acknowledge me much. But I keep it to myself, because I can understand there may be good reasons. I guess it's just because I'm usually feeling pretty down myself but I put on my brave face and try to be nice to everybody...I feel like I'm invisible or something
                          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
                            I feel like I'm invisible or something
                            Sorry I do not understand this. When you post, it generally makes my day. So just can not fathom you being invisible
                            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Why thank you, Mytical Now you've made MY day!
                              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X