Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You must match what's displayed on the register!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You must match what's displayed on the register!

BG: Once again, some memories from when I worked at CVS around 10 years ago. Note that at this point I was at wits end with this job and was more willing to talk back to customers.

I'm ringing the SC's items and give him his total: $7.80. He gives me a $10. As I enter "$10" into the register, I fat finger it, and instead indicate he gave me a $100. No problemo, of course, just give him the $2.20 he is due and move on.

Of course, if that were the case, this thread wouldn't be here.

SC: "Um, excuse me..."

I know exactly what he's going to dispute.

SC: "...the register said I was due $92.20."
    Me: "That's because I fat fingered it. You gave me a $10."
    SC: "I am aware I gave you a $10, but you are legally obligated to provide exactly what the register says."
    Me: "No I'm not."
    SC: "Yes you are."
    Me: "You admitted you gave me a $10, therefore I am giving you the proper change back."
    SC: "Apparently you're too young to understand these things. The register said you owe me $92. That is a legal balance due back to me. Get me a supervisor."

*sigh* Very well... while we're waiting for the supervisor he continues.

SC: "You know that if you don't give me that extra money you're going to be horribly over on your register and get in trouble."
    Me: "How do you figure?"
    SC: "The register thinks you owe me $92. If you don't give me $92, then it will be $90 over."
    Me: "The register also thinks you gave me $100 when in fact, you gave me a $10. Those two discrepancies cancel eachother out."
    SC: "You want to bet your job on it?"
    Me: "..."

Supervisor comes, and now the customer changes his story.

SC: "I gave him a $100, he gave me change for $10."
    Sup: "Really?" *opens drawer* "I don't see any hundred dollar bill in here, sir."
    SC: "I bet he pocketed it."
    Sup: "Okay, I have no choice but to count this drawer, sir. This will take several minutes. Would you like me to continue?"
    SC: "Pfft, forget it. You are all a bunch of losers." *leaves*
    Sup (to me): "I guess I called his bluff, eh?"
    Me: "Yep. Nobody who actually lost $90 would walk away from it that easily."

Every day I worked those shifts, someone did something that made me weep for humankind.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Quoth thehuckster View Post
    SC: "I am aware I gave you a $10, but you are legally obligated to provide exactly what the register says."
    That must be the "LAW" that is listed just after the one that says if the scanner does not recognize the bar code, the item is free.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

I'm just surprised he didn't claim to be a lawyer too.

but yeesh what a liar.

Comment

Every day I worked those shifts, someone did something that made me weep for humankind.
        That's how I feel almost everydamnday. I wonder if I've been working retail toooooo long or if people are really somehow finding ways to become more stupid. Probably a combination of both.
        I'm sorry, but I've reached my maximum allowable exposure to stupidity limit for the day. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow.

Comment

"Oh, good. Another customer who took the discount law course." --Gord
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

So if SC DOES give you a hundred, and you accidentally miss a zero and type in "10.00" then you only have to give him $2.20, not $92.20? SWEET!

For some reason they never think of the flip side of these "laws" they make up....

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              I'm just surprised he didn't claim to be a lawyer too.
              You know, I met a guy a few months ago who claimed to be a lawyer and was all indignant about some demand letter that I sent him. I looked him up online, and lo and hehold he actually is a lawyer.

I gave him the exact statute numbers he needed to review, and told him that if he wanted to sue us that I would just end up billing him for all the legal expenses. I never heard from him again, but I wept for his clients...

Comment

I've had a few customers try to do this to me, but then they do the same thing: turn around and walk away when I tell them I'd have to get a manager to count my drawer down. I have had only ONE customer wait for the manager to count my drawer and even when he said that my drawer was only less then a dollar off, the customer still was going on that I shorted her almost $10.

How I shorted her $10 when I was less then a dollar over, I still don't understand.
                Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                  So if SC DOES give you a hundred, and you accidentally miss a zero and type in "10.00" then you only have to give him $2.20, not $92.20? SWEET!

For some reason they never think of the flip side of these "laws" they make up....
                  And then you get to keep the extra $97.80.

Because, of course, otherwise your cash drawer is going to be horribly over.

Comment

If a customer did that, I would flip out.

Comment

Well, there's another reply that could be given, too...

"Sir, you're right, that is the law. But the law states that we both must match what I put into the register, As such, I'll need to collect another $90 from you. Once I have that, I can complete your transaction."

Comment

The fingers you have used to operate the register are too fat. To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your palm now.

SC: "I bet he pocketed it."
                        Wow you did this all while the SC was watching you? You don't belong at the register. You should be at Vegas doing magic shows.
                        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I had a coworker one time type in 1,000.00 as the amount given and then the change was obviously in the 900s. He didn't say anything to the customer about the mistake, as he usually does, because he figured she would figure out what happened. She then proceeds to chew him out about not giving her 900 something in change. He gets me, as the manager, and I explain what happened. She chews me out and demands the 900 something. I tell her we don't even have that much money in the entire store. She demands me manager. I get the SM, who is the nicest person you will ever meet and has little to no spine with customers. She goes there, listens to the customer for a minute, and just says, "Are you stupid?"

made my day.

Comment

Three words: Theft by Deception.
                            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth notlovinit View Post
                              I get the SM, who is the nicest person you will ever meet and has little to no spine with customers. She goes there, listens to the customer for a minute, and just says, "Are you stupid?"
                              Your SM grew her first vertebra that very day! And the store rejoiced.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X