This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return an item..without returning it

I am pretty sure I had a scam attempt today, have to change some info as not to get in trouble but here is the gist of it. Item is unable to download latest firmware..according to customer. No problem, I explain that they can take it in to the nearest smurfsandponies.com store and get a replacement, or our tech guys can look at it.

Customer claims that this issue can not be fixed, and local stores are out of stock. Ok..my system showing plenty of stock, but not allowed to argue with the customer on this..so I offer to ship them a return label, so they can return the item and get a new one. Here is the conversation that followed.

SC - "Can they ship me one first, so I can make sure it works..then I ship the other one back?"
    M - "I am sorry, but we have to receive the first item before we can ship out a new one."
    SC - "I really want to make sure the other one works before I give up this one, I mean this one works ok, just can't update it."
    M - "The only way I can do that is contact our support guys, and have them come out look at your device, and then they can either replace or repair it."
    SC - "I am a tech teacher, this is not something that can be fixed, I would need a new item."
    M - "I understand that sir, they would be able to assess that, and would be able to supply a new one for the old one." (Which is true, though it would not be instatanious, they would have to make sure the other does not work, and get another, but at least the person could try it out before giving up his old one).
    SC - "But they are out of stock in nearby stores..can't they just ship me one, and me send in the old one?"
    M - "Sir..I've given you your options. I can mail out a label so you can return the one you have, and us send you a new one. You can go into any store and have them look at it/replace it..or you can have the techs come out..assess it..and get you a new one to try before you give up the old one." ((Yes I was verifying this, was not just talking out of my behind))
    SC - "Is there anybody there that can ship out one instead?"
    M - "I will be happy to get you a supervisor, but they will give you the same options." ((Since you know, I was talking to them to figure out what we could do in the first place)).
    SC - "I am not very happy right now, other people have gotten smurfsandponies.com to send them a new item before they returned the old item. I am not sure why some are getting more help then others." ((Maybe because you are full of it? Well..maybe spineless STORE managers might cave, but really..you want to keep the old, get a new..and maybe never ever return the first one?..and most likely they took the tech visit option to do this)) *click*

Yeah..sure we are just going to ship out a expensive item on your pinky swear that you will send us back the old one? Something smells of spam..I mean scam.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Woooooow, totally a scam. Good for you on putting the smackdown on that!
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Is there any proof he/she owns one in the first place?
      Good response!

Comment

Yes, though of course he could have given it away as a gift also. Ie there was an order for the item from him in our records.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
          SC - "Can they ship me one first, so I can make sure it works..then I ship the other one back?"
          I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request.

Means no.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

Means no.
            I thought it was more of a set of guidelines, really...
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Back in the day, there were places who would really do this for you.

Of course, they would charge your credit card for the one the shipped you and not refund it until the got the bad one back. So really, you were just buying a second one and returning the bad one after it was delivered.

Comment

Heck even we will do that . I would have placed an order for him faster then he could have said "um wait a minute" if he wanted. something tells me he would not like that idea.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

Means no.
                  I read that in Barbossa's voice
                  Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
                    Back in the day, there were places who would really do this for you.

Of course, they would charge your credit card for the one the shipped you and not refund it until the got the bad one back. So really, you were just buying a second one and returning the bad one after it was delivered.
                    Maxtor used to handle warranty exchanges that way. You could either ship the drive in and have them send out a replacement; or you gave them a credit card, they ship you out the new drive, you put the old one back in the same packaging, stick the return label on, and send it back. They wouldn't even charge your card unless they didn't get the return in a specified amount of time. (Don't know if they put a hold on the card or not...)

Of course nowadays drives are cheap enough that they could be considered disposables, but back in the day stuff cost real money. </old_fart>

Comment

Worse even the few stupid people out there who honestly think this is an okay method are likely the type of persons who will forget to send the old one back and two weeks later don't remember why they have two of the same thing.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                        Of course nowadays drives are cheap enough that they could be considered disposables, but back in the day stuff cost real money. </old_fart>
                        Like the $700.00 I once paid for a 250 Megabyte hard drive?
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                          Like the $700.00 I once paid for a 250 Megabyte hard drive?
                          Try $3500 for an 8" 8MB for a TRS-80 Model II.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            Try $3500 for an 8" 8MB for a TRS-80 Model II.
                            Hence the name "bleeding edge technology."
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I've told customers they can keep a defective/non-working item and I'll send a no charge replacement, but that's usually because the item isn't expensive and it's a good customer. By good customer I mean a stocking distributor, not someone who buys a few times a year or less. And if a customer tells me they're returning the product, but they need a replacement RIGHT NOW!!!, I'll send a replacement and charge for it. It's no problem issuing credit once the original is received.

One of the joys of dealing with distributors is that they're not as unreasonable as the general public about returns and repairs.
                              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
                              X