This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• had to threaten police eviction

I am currently at my limit physically and mentally, so forgive me if this isn't the most coherent. I'm running on pure caffeine and annoyance.

You see, to give you some insight into my current physical state, I am exhausted. I am running on less than two hours of sleep. I have been up since 1:30am, at which point I had to walk six miles worth of my paper route because the many little side roads weren't driveable. (I have been doing this every morning since Tuesday.) I was exhausted before I even began my shift. Today is not a day to piss me off.

Check-out is at noon. At 12:30, some of our "valued guests" haven't left yet. They tell Other MOD (who is working the desk) that they need until 1:00 because the guy's sister is in the shower. Okay, no problem.

At 1:00, they give housekeeping the run-around. At 2:00, they don't answer the door, and they won't answer the phone. Which means, as acting MOD, that I have to go out there and deal with it.

I knock on the door, and declare "Manager!" He answers for me (I guess a lowly housekeeper isn't worthy enough for this SC). He says he's waiting on a ride for his sister (funny, I thought she was just in the shower?). I tell him it's two hours past check-out, and he needs to leave within the next fifteen minutes.

2:30 rolls around. Housekeeping knocks on the door. Again, no answer, but the deadbolt is on. I call the room. No answer. Great. I head out there, and knock on the door. "Manager!" No answer. I try a few more times, but they won't answer for me now.

Oh they did not...they are making me a grumpy kitty!

Housekeeper and I discussed the matter standing right outside SC's door.
    Housekeeper: "So, what do we do?"
    Me: "Well, I'll call the police, and have them evict them."
    Me: *stares at door. nothing happens.*
    Me: *in a much louder voice* "I said I'm CALLING the POLICE to EVICT them!"

The door flew open!

SC: "We're packing up; we're leaving now."
    Me: "Good."
    SC: *starts to shut door*
    Me: *reaches out and holds door open* "I'm just going to wait here while you pack up."
    SC: *mumbles something inaudible and retreats into room*

Housekeeper: "Did you see in there? They have a lot of stuff!"
    Me: "Well, if it takes them longer than five minutes, we'll call the police anyway."
    *cursing from within room*

They packed up all their stuff and were out within five minutes.

Maybe I was a little bitchy. But I'm so tired I can barely type this. So f*** 'em.

(Other MOD put them on the ban list for no pay. )
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

All that aggravation and they didn't pay either? Yikes.

Hope you can get some sleep soon!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      All that aggravation and they didn't pay either? Yikes.

Hope you can get some sleep soon!
      The no-pay ban is because they were two-hours after check-out. At that point, they technically owed us for another night.

I have 20 minutes left in my shift, at which point I will drive home, pack my bags and the animals, return to the motel, and promptly fall asleep in my assigned room. (I also have to remember to give Hubs some money at some point so he can order food...I refuse to drive anywhere to procure food myself.)
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

They deserved it all. If you'd let them shut the door you would almost certainly have had to call the cops to get them out; they were obviously in no hurry to go anywhere.

Hope you are feeling better quickly!

Comment

Feel better soon! Sorry you had to deal with such an idiot customer who stayed way past his checkout time, then has to be threatened with police eviction to leave and doesn't pay. At least the police didn't have to come. I wish customers like this would get a life.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
            The no-pay ban is because they were two-hours after check-out. At that point, they technically owed us for another night.

I have 20 minutes left in my shift, at which point I will drive home, pack my bags and the animals, return to the motel, and promptly fall asleep in my assigned room. (I also have to remember to give Hubs some money at some point so he can order food...I refuse to drive anywhere to procure food myself.)
            Can a hotel have it set up to just charge the credit card another night if they aren't out by say, an hour after check out time, just like you'd add charges for room sevice or something stolen, or whatever?

If it's legal, that's what I'd do if I owned a hotel - no arguments, one warning, and bam, hit them where it hurts (in the wallet)

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

We have this all the time. One bitch kept saying 15 more mins, 15 more mins. An hour and half later. They think if they pay enough they can stay as long as they want. They are also the ones that trash the rooms and don't leave tips. I hate when they refuse to open the door and the deadbolt is on. Like u said housekeeping isnt worth opening the door for.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                Can a hotel have it set up to just charge the credit card another night if they aren't out by say, an hour after check out time, just like you'd add charges for room sevice or something stolen, or whatever?

If it's legal, that's what I'd do if I owned a hotel - no arguments, one warning, and bam, hit them where it hurts (in the wallet)
                Generally, as part of the registration card, there is a clause that the guest agrees to pay for any incidental charges (ie: stolen towels, stained linen, etc.)

The problem comes in the fact that many people book through 3rd party websites (Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, etc.) or pay cash, and thus we do not have a CC on file.

The 3rd party CCs are pre-programmed for room & tax ONLY. You can't get anymore out of them, and, in fact, they usually have a notation on the res. that the guest is responsible for any incidental charges. These are also usually the ones that are the biggest PITA.

SC
                "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
                  Generally, as part of the registration card, there is a clause that the guest agrees to pay for any incidental charges (ie: stolen towels, stained linen, etc.)

The problem comes in the fact that many people book through 3rd party websites (Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, etc.) or pay cash, and thus we do not have a CC on file.

The 3rd party CCs are pre-programmed for room & tax ONLY. You can't get anymore out of them, and, in fact, they usually have a notation on the res. that the guest is responsible for any incidental charges. These are also usually the ones that are the biggest PITA.

SC
                  With cash paying guests, we collect an additional $100 deposit that gets returned after we inspect the room. For 3rd party reservations, we collect a CC or the deposit. It's worked out pretty well for us.
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

That's odd. I stayed in a couple of hotels this year that were reserved and paid for by the company that I was doing flu clinics for. Each one still had me give them a card for their records for incidentals - which I took to mean if I walked off with their stuff.

Comment

ftr, while most hotels (the smart ones, anyway) require a CC on file for incidentals or a cash deposit, my chain does not. You can pay cash with no deposit, and if you pay a CC we can't charge damages after. Yes, I know, it sucks. Believe me, I am well aware that it sucks and I wish we could charge damage deposits.

Fortunately, these SCs didn't end up trashing the room. They were just being jerks.

Comment

*sends bhskittykatt cookies, hot chocolate and a gift card for a liquor store*
                        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                        X