This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupons and wrong prices

I work at a grocery store, but because of school, I only work every other weekend. Well today was my day to work and luckily I only had these two lovely gems.

Our grocery store allows customers to load coupons onto their loyalty cards. Today early in my shift, a lady came through with some coupons, plus had some already on her card. Well one of the coupons was the same as what was on her card for one item, then she also had two other coupons that were for another item. I gave her back the one that was the same as on her card, and then one of the ones for the other item and told her she couldn't use more than one coupon per item. She couldn't understand why she couldn't use more than one coupon and was going on about how much money she spent at our store. >.< Sorry lady you can't get items for free from 2 $1 off coupons.

The second SC I had was much later, within an hour of us closing. Generally after 11, the only registers we have open are the SCO and I was closing tonight. This guy bought two bags of chips and some stuff from the deli area. He said one of the bags of chips was cheaper than what it had rung up so I went to check the price and either the chips were in the wrong spot or he saw the wrong price, because they had rung up right. When I told him the price was right, he grumbled and said he didn't want them. After that, he continued to check out but I could tell he was getting moody with the machine. I wanted to offer to help him, but I could tell he would get mouthy. He finally just put his stuff in his cart, shoved it to the side, and was basically like "screw this" and walked out without his stuff.

I also had a "sighting" of sorts today. I went to the electronic store to buy an external hard drive and in these stores, the way the lines work is you walk through these little aisles (there's a very specific place you enter) and you follow the path until you get to the registers and then wait for one to get open. Well there was this lady behind us and I see this guy slip in half way through the path and get in front of her. He then proceeded to "tailgate" my brother in law. Then when we got close to the front of the line, there were a couple of guys in front of us that were together and two registers opened at the same time. Well the two guys in front of us went to one, and my BIL and I went to another. The tailgater followed us and then when he realized we were going to the second one, he kinda looked around confused. I'm assuming he thought we were with the guys in front of us. He seemed like he was in a rush but, really? come on, you can't expect to go into an electronics store in the middle of a saturday afternoon and get out of there quickly.

I'm assuming the second guy hadn't paid for his stuff when he walked out and left it ... ?

Too many people don't read the fine print on coupons, including the part that says, "Cannot be combined with any other offer" or something similar ...

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
      I'm assuming the second guy hadn't paid for his stuff when he walked out and left it ... ?
      You are correct. He hadn't paid.

Too many people don't read the fine print on coupons, including the part that says, "Cannot be combined with any other offer" or something similar ...
      Yea. I've worked at a grocery store for a total of....over 3 years and I've never heard of being able to use more than one coupon on one item. So I was confused as to why she thought she'd be able to.

Comment

Quoth pltkcelestial18 View Post

Yea. I've worked at a grocery store for a total of....over 3 years and I've never heard of being able to use more than one coupon on one item. So I was confused as to why she thought she'd be able to.

There are stores in the US that allow customers to stack coupons when the UPCs are different. Up here in Canada, I think only one or two stores allow it in the west. It's not allowed where I live.

She probably wasnt trying to cheat you, just thought they could be stacked. I assume your store does not allow this which is why it's new to you.

Granted, if she was such a good customer, she would have known the store rules on the matter. Unless she was confused as to the loyalty card coupon and reg coupons.
        Last edited by Slayer; 01-22-2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

I might have bluntly told the coupon lady, "Just because you spend a lot of money in our store doesn't grant you permission to break or bend the rules... And if you're going to whine and moan and threaten not to shop here, we still won't let you break or bend the rules."

Comment

Target allows their store coupons to be stacked with manufacturers' coupons (one of each per item purchased). I've gotten some good deals that way.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
              I might have bluntly told the coupon lady, "Just because you spend a lot of money in our store doesn't grant you permission to break or bend the rules... And if you're going to whine and moan and threaten not to shop here, we still won't let you break or bend the rules."

Eh, doesn't sound like that would have been needed according to what's posted up there.

Just a "sorry, [store] doesn't allow stacking" normally works for a true couponer.

Though her moaning about how much she spends there wasn't necessary either lol

Comment

The store I shop at lets you load coupons to your card too. Here's how it works with me:

1) Load coupons to card.
                2) (three seconds elapse)
                3) Completely forget about the coupons I've loaded to my card.

I've had times where a coupon won't go through because an electronic coupon did and I forgot I had it on there. The difference is I didn't get all SC about it like your customer did.

Comment

Fred Meyer you can stack a store coupon with a manufactures coupon for the same item. Say you have a $1 off Secret deodorant from the Sunday ad, and they have a $1 off Secret deodorant store coupon. You can use both to save $2 on one stick.

Comment

A lot of places won't let you combine deals, except maybe under a few special circumstances. It's fine if some places will but people should know by now it won't happen everywhere. I'm guessing they DO know but they figure, what's the harm in hassling the employees over it just in case they can get what they want. Grrr...
                    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X