This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deluded Doctor Who Fanboy

Today, we had a customer blow up at two different associates and a manager accusing us of knowingly selling him a Region 2 (UK and Europe) Doctor Who Bluray boxed that wouldn't play on his Bluray unit. My particular store is located in the US, ergo we normally sell Region 1 titles. He proceeded to claim that we would be shut down for selling such products. The associate who initially encountered him noticed that he kept pointing to a number 2 in a white box on the side of the box saying that was the Region 2 symbol. He does this again for a manager and then one of my coworkers. After he's gone, I decide to go and inspect the product just in case, as we've gotten Region 2 players and game consoles by mistake in the past.

My inspection turns up several things.

1. The 2 in a white box is the corporate logo for "2 entertain" which distributes product for the BBC.
    2. The box art clearly indicates "as seen on BBC America" on the front and the fine print on the back says "distributed in America by...".
    3. The front and back of the box do not show the UK or European age ratings like the UK release does.

This led me to the following conclusion-- the dummy didn't read his player's operating manual or he'd realize that every so often you need to update the bloody firmware.

As a Whovian myself, I can only sigh.
    "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

He saw a "2", which in his tiny mind equated to Region 2, because hey, it couldn't possibly mean anything else, right? You'd think he could just ASK about it, but that would make sense...
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

This guy went nuts. He was swearing up and down that we'd be shut down for selling Region 2 product and this and that and the other thing.
      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Shame on you for not beating him with the box until he understood he was wrong!
        You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Quoth AmethystSquirrel View Post
          Shame on you for not beating him with the box until he understood he was wrong!
          Well...the discs could get damaged if he did that! Better to keep some old Barney the Dinosaur sets around for pummeling purposes. They're expendable.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sounds to me that you may have a used Dr Who box set that you would like to sell? Hint, hint...
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I wonder if the clueless customer has ever tried buying a season 2 box set of any series.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

You can never find your sonic screwdriver when you need it most...
                "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
                  How about a Dalek?

"EXTERMINATE!"
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

the daleks exterminated his brain!

Comment

I love Daleks. I have one, actually (OK, it's a plastic model) - it's the new style with the bright yellow color I think it's going to be Bring Your Dalek To Work Day pretty soon here...
                      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
                        Sure I can. It's in transit to my fiancé has part of a very late birthday now and I have the receipt.
                        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

You know, I would hope that when it comes to technology, a Doctor Who fan would be...I dunno. Smarter.

Comment

Now-a-days

Sometimes it is hip to be a nerd now-a-days. I am sure there are people with Dr. Who collections just so they can look cool to some sub-section of people.

I kid you not, people do stuff like that. I once mention that I built an addition to my cabin because I had so many books to store. They expressed surprise that I read so much. In turn I pointed out that they had a couple hundred books on the shelves of the main room of their house.

Their reply: "Oh, it takes me months to read a book, those are just there for others to see."

They had the classics, and the latest best sellers and they had read none of them!
                            Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 01-25-2012, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                              Their reply: "Oh, it takes me months to read a book, those are just there for others to see."

They had the classicists, and the latest best sellers and they had read none of them!
                              There's a company (probably several) out there that sells shelf-sections of older books. You order by length of shelf, cover type, and color. Just so you can have a coordinated bookshelf to make yourself look literate.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X