This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commission Woes

Hey guys, long time no see! I haven't had much computer access for a while, because, well-simply put, I don't have a family anymore. Got kicked out and disowned after an argument with my mother that she started over wanting me to bake a cheesecake for her (no, really) so...yeah. I'm staying with my boyfriend and his family for now, until I can get a job and he gets steady enough employment for us to get a place together. But his mom's letting me use an extra laptop they have for now, so yeah. Could be a lot worse.

Anyway, some of you probably know about me being an artist, and the major hit that My Little Pony; Friendship is Magic has been. Well, I make these little trotting or flying icons of ponies (pixel art being all I can do without a drawing tablet, sketchbook or scanner) and I take cheap commissions for the time and effort it takes to do them. Namely, five bucks a pop, even for more complex ones. Nothing wrong with that, right? It gets me a little (note: VERY little) toward food, clothes and other things I need since all I own in the world right now is what clothes I could fit in an old canvas laundry bag, and I'm making things that make other people happy, for cheaper than pretty much anyone else will.

The process of ordering one is extremely simple: On my gallery's front page, I have a little box that has my commission info in it. You just note or comment me telling me what you want, pay for it, and I post it for you. I'll even adjust the sizing and all for you if you want. Prices are right there for all to see. Simple, right? Evidently, not so much.

There are a few problems that seem to constantly crop up.

Ex. 1: So-and-so asks the price repeatedly as if hoping it'll magically go lower. It won't.

Ex. 2: They want one, but have no money, so can they do an art trade instead? Oh, I know you specifically stated multiple times that it's cash payment only, you aren't doing art trades right now, but I'm really really good at drawing (usually this is said by someone with a gallery of stick figures, sloppily edited photos or screenshots with the colors changed) and won't you pleeeease make an exception? Uh, no. No, I won't. Like they taught in kindergarten, if you do it for one person, you have to do it for everyone to be fair.

Ex. 3: Oh, I want one so much, but I have no money so can I have one for free? I promise I'll tell other people about you/I really really want one. GAH. I had one person note me back with " *sigh* i guess i wont get teh pony ive alwys wnted thn" Um...yeah...you won't. Acting like poor deprived little me isn't going to make me feel sorry for you and make a free one. The only people I do occasional freebies for are close friends of mine who I've been friends with for years.

Ex. 4: Oh yeah I'll totally pay for it, but can you post it first? I want to see it before I pay for it! I know you said payment in advance, but can't you pleeease make an exception? (Now, this isn't totally unreasonable-you don't want to pay for a load of suck, naturally-but they can see previous examples of my work, know what I'm capable of, and before I even take on the task of making their icon I tell them that I take payment in advance, no exceptions. I make the thing, tell them when it's ready, they pay for it, and I post it. I do this because I've posted my half of something before ((art trade in this case, was a long time ago)) and been skimped on, and unlike other services that can just not provide whatever it is they said they would, or take it away if they're not paid, once I post the thing I pretty much have to keep it up, or the individual who didn't pay for it may just download it the instant I post it, and if I take it down they can just post it themselves, claim they made it and I will have no real proof to the contrary since I'd have to repost it and my post date would thus be later than theirs, so as a precaution I always take payment first.)

And one of the biggest pains, Ms. Self-righteous Hypocrite. Namely, a particular user who got on both my pages (moved galleries due to a stalking problem that had nothing to do with them) and accused me of art theft and illegal profits yadda yadda, saying that I had no right to profit off of the subject matter I was using, how dare I, the creators didn't make it so I could make money off of it-while charging out the nose for Sonic related commissions. Needless to say she shut up after I and one of my friends pointed out the hypocrisy to her.

GAH. Some people make me want to ditch art galleries and such altogether sometimes. It's just a headache. Anyone else have to deal with people like that?

[Edit] To miss Tia, thank you so much! I'd be happy to make some of the trotters/dashers/gryphons for you if you'd like.

[EDIT 2] Miss Clarissa Helps, to contact me you can either use themuffinknight@hotmail.com, message me here or comment/note me on my deviantart account which I'd be happy to give you!
    Last edited by Clover; 01-28-2012, 07:49 PM. Reason: Removed link -- using CS for commercial purposes is not allowed

First off, wb. And I'm sorry to hear about that with the fam. <hugs>

I swear, doesn't matter what kind of art, people will ALWAYS try and haggle it off of you for free. -.-

....thirdly, totally want one now. SQUEE.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I used to work at Guitar Center and had to deal with the same stuff. I always saw the items as a luxury and not a necessity, like real estate or an automobile (that's half luxury, half necessity depending on where you live), but it wouldn't stop people from haggling with me. Every discount I gave them on a luxury item was food off of my table. It was like, "oh, that $3000 Roland workstation is gonna save you in a flood?"

We still made commission on items, even when we would blow them out at cost, which we tried not to do. One guy was notorious for going lower than cost on items that I had had enough and finally told him, "ok, it looks like you just can't afford this. Let me show you some items that you can afford..."

I checked out your page and I like the "cactooohshi" If people are haggling with you over a $5 for a pony graphic though, part of me would be tempted to tell them, "what's more important to you for $5? Putting food on the artist's table and supporting them, or having a neat-o graphic that you can tell everyone belongs to you?"

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
        If people are haggling with you over a $5 for a pony graphic though, part of me would be tempted to tell them, "what's more important to you for $5? Putting food on the artist's table and supporting them, or having a neat-o graphic that you can tell everyone belongs to you?"
        Exactly! I only started taking commissions on those at all because I was so desperate for money-to get warm clothes, which I don't have, buy food, hygiene products, medication I can't go without and other things that I can't afford without some kind of income, and yet I keep getting asked for free ones, art trades or whatever else they can come up with rather than paying money. Art trades are nice, but I can't exactly eat or wear them now can I?

The cactohhhshi- one was made for a friend of mine from Italy, Fedini, who's a total goofball, loves cactus for some reason and would hug or nuzzle a real one if he got the chance, and to heck with the consequences. XD
        Last edited by Ree; 01-27-2012, 10:44 AM. Reason: Trimmed excessive quote

Comment

I once had a guy who bought expensive crap up the wazoo take over 6-months to pay me $60 for a cloak I sewed him. He only ended-up paying me because, without my knowledge, another friend of mine threatened him! That's when I learned, money first.
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
            I once had a guy who bought expensive crap up the wazoo take over 6-months to pay me $60 for a cloak I sewed him. He only ended-up paying me because, without my knowledge, another friend of mine threatened him! That's when I learned, money first.
            I guess he thought "Hey, I bought a bunch of expensive stuff already, she doesn't REALLY need payment for this one little thing, right? She won't notice at all!

Yeah. We notice.

Comment

All that haggling, from all those people, over five measly bucks?

The mind boggles... search the couch for crissakes!

Comment

Cancel ONE expensive coffee ... half a pack of cigs ... jeez, that's just sad. Those are adorable; $5 is hardly unreasonable for them! Sorry you have to deal with these idiots.

Comment

All that haggling, from all those people, over five measly bucks?

The mind boggles... search the couch for crissakes!
                  Cancel ONE expensive coffee ... half a pack of cigs ... jeez, that's just sad. Those are adorable; $5 is hardly unreasonable for them! Sorry you have to deal with these idiots.
                  Heh-some people who make similar things around or more than fifteen to twenty or more dollars for them, but as long as you ask for any amount someone's going to haggle over it, even if the item you're selling is pretty much the only thing standing between you and complete bankrupcy. I could charge five cents and someone would complain. I actually heard about an artist who did FREE requests, and someone got on her case and yelled at her because it wasn't exactly what they wanted, and demanded that she redo it and do other projects for them as well to make up for it.

I think artists and crafters take more flak for this sort of thing than almost anyone else. Probably since we don't have a whole company, armed with lawyers, to back us up.

Comment

Double your prices. Then charge half for people who ask.

...but no, that would just be rewarding bad behavior, and SCs get rewarded for that enough.

Comment

Actually, for $0.00, you should go into your graphics program, create a 640 x 480 canvas, pick a random color, then place exactly one pixel in the middle of the screen. That's their pony, only de-magnified at .0005 %

Comment

Ugh... Bronies...
                        Sucky Employees = The result of sucky customers getting a job...

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                          Actually, for $0.00, you should go into your graphics program, create a 640 x 480 canvas, pick a random color, then place exactly one pixel in the middle of the screen. That's their pony, only de-magnified at .0005 %
                          Better yet, make an icon sized pony and put a troll face on it.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
                            Double your prices. Then charge half for people who ask.

...but no, that would just be rewarding bad behavior, and SCs get rewarded for that enough.
                            Actually, not a bad idea. Half the price for people who ask politely and double it for those who rant and rave.

It's similar to how I taught my son manners. Double the amount if he asked nicely, half if he asked.. and none if he threw a fit.
                            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Iseeyouthere View Post
                              Ugh... Bronies...
                              Hey, my younger son is a brony. I splurged at Christmas and got him the 2011 SDCC Pony.
                              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                              HR believes the first person in the door
                              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                              Document everything
                              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                              X