X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A smorgasboard of suck (long)

Or however you spell that.

Anyway, really long background: I am not having a happy time so far this year. Health issues, mental issues, all kinds of issues all over the place, but the biggest issue is probably my severe case of burnout.

I posted here already about how I was quitting taking new fursuit commissions, and what a relief that was, but of course just stopping the influx of new projects hasn't solved the burnout problem, because I keep a six month or so backlog of them. That way there's a steady income flow and I don't waste time with no projects to sew. Very important when it's your primary income source. (And cutting it off has me a little nervous sometimes, let me tell you.)

Unfortunately that means that even though I'm not taking in any new ones, I have six months worth of things I've already committed to, which are all at least partly paid for, and which have to be finished. And some days just thinking about working on any of them makes me want to scream, or hide under the bed, or something. Which makes this even more fun. It's taking so long to make these that it's not going to be a six month stretch, it's looking more like nine months to a year to get it all cleared off. Ugh. Very ugh.

And that, of course, brings me to the suck. Because I'd given all these people estimates. Only one of them had a guaranteed finish date, I try to avoid those and generally only do it when a customer needs the costume for a specific event, so everybody else just had estimates. I said they were estimates. I used words like "probably" and "if everything goes well" and so on. My policies pages on my site makes clear they're just estimates like... three times, I think. The project list that shows how many things I've got to work on right now says they haven't got deadlines, they're just estimates! I didn't think I could possibly BE any more clear that the dates I mention are not promises, they're just frigging ESTIMATES.

You can no doubt already see where this is going.

I'm a responsible artist, so when I realized how bad the situation was, I e-mailed every one of my fursuit customers and told them about the burnout, and that things were going to be late. And *nearly* all the replies I got were totally understanding, including the one person I'd given a hard deadline to! But there's always one. Yeah. Instead of any sort of understanding or sympathy, or even reluctant acceptance, I just got WHINING about how I'd already pushed his stuff back once (which is a frigging lie, I gave him an estimate when he first contacted me, but he didn't pay me until quite some time later, and of course that means that meanwhile other people did pay me and got ahead of him on the list. That's not me pushing things back, that's entirely on HIS head) and he's really not happy, and he wants it when I "promised" it.

I never frigging promised anything. In fact I ASKED him if there was a particular date he needed it by,and he said no, I could take as long as I needed to!!!

Which pisses me off. Don't say something like that unless you actually mean it! What's starting to piss me off even more is that he seems to be ignoring me now. I replied and offered him a refund if he wasn't happy with the delay, and got no answer for several days. So I sent another message saying that I needed to know if he wanted a refund or if he wanted me to go ahead, and could he please respond. That was about three days ago. Still no reply! I have a hard time believing that he hasn't checked his e-mail in almost a week. So he's probably avoiding responding for some idiotic reason or other.

But that's only one of the sucks I need to blow off some steam about today, I have more!

Suck the second comes with making plushes. And can be blamed on my fellow plush makers, frankly. They give away free plush patterns, you see. Not that I'm going to insist they stop, they're doing a good thing, but some people, either thoughtless or entitled, get ideas. They start thinking that this is what plush makers do, and that any time they see a plush they like they don't need to pay a plush maker for it, oh no, they can just ask for the pattern and it will be given to them, for free.

Gah. I HATE this. It hasn't even taken me a month to start hating it with a burning PASSION. The people who want to buy my patterns are okay (I still tell them no, for various reasons, but they're not being EWs.) But it's one thing to pay for a pattern, or to see a "this is for free" pattern and use it, it's another to ask somebody to give you their hard work for nothing! Patterns don't appear out of thin air, I spend time, in some cases a LOT of time, making them. Making them is, in fact, part of my JOB that I get PAID FOR, that PAYS THE BILLS.

If I wanted to give away patterns, I would post them. The fact that I don't means that I don't want to, so don't frigging ask. (I always sort of vindictively imagine that the people asking this would make hideous, ugly monstrosities, even working with my good patterns.)

But are we done yet? Oh no, we're not. This last one isn't EWish or anything, but I just am boggled every time I run into it. I'll get an e-mail from somebody, or even crazier a comment on DA or FA, asking how much a thing in my gallery is, and can I ship it to them right away? Or something along those lines. An attempt of some sort to order the item in question. As though every single item in my gallery of SEVERAL THOUSAND pictures, is sitting in my apartment, ready to be shipped out! (I couldn't fit anything at all in here if that were the case, every single room, including the huge garage, would be piled all the way to the ceiling with this stuff if it were all here.) The DA/FA ones have datestamps on them saying that the pic was uploaded YEARS ago, and yet people still ask this! They'll ask it as the fifth comment down, below two that I answered already, saying that the thing wasn't for sale because it's already been shipped out to the person who ordered it in the first place.

What the everyloving frick is up with that? I mean seriously what? Can people really not recognize the difference between an art gallery and a retail store?

Under other circumstances I probably wouldn't be bugged by this, but it's just one crappy cherry on top of this crap sundae that I've got to deal with right now, and it's irritating me.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Wow. Just wow. First off, the fursuit guy is a douche. I can understand being a bit annoyed when something takes a while to make, but you're not a machine. You didn't give him a definite deadline, he didn't pay on time to begin with, he can just wait his turn.

The pattern people...I'm sorry. That's something I view as unacceptable.

Oh, and the comment people, yeah....I wish reading were something more stressed in schools. I've begun working in a kindergarten and my kids, ages 5-6, would catch on to that.

Please feel better. I'd give you a cookie if I could.

Comment

That's a "smörgåsbord" ( I used to live in Sweden, where the word originates).

Comment

I hope you take it easy and get your 'want to make stuff' mood back soon. Taking a break is good though; you can't feel like creating all the time! I get my moods when I want to sew sew sew...and then, I don't wanna do it anymore! then a month later I do. Hope all your remaining projects go smoothly.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I think I have some cookies around here.

Sorry about the burnout, Spark. I always seem to get it in the middle of finishing holiday orders.

Seriously if the artsit never mentions free patterns...then they don't offer them. I wouldn't even dream of harassing people for free stuff...but then again I have more then one brain cell to rub together.

And wtf with the suit guy...there's artists that don't let you know about any delays, so he should chill out. I've even heard of people who take commissions, get the (nonrefundable) down payment and then dissappear.

I still occasionally get people contacting me with the "Hey I bought a quilt from you and I want another one, are they still $20?" (Now way back when I was just getting started, I was selling handquilted baby quilts for $20. But I was young and stupid and that only lasted 2 years.) Now sometimes I've been known to honor last year's prices as a special promotion, or as a courtesy. But not 10 years back. That's just dumb.

And hey if you need someone to talk to, I'm almost always close to the computer
          https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

I understand burnout completely and wish you the best at getting through it.

As for the people asking for patterns? Yeah, um. No. I've never really understood why a plushie maker does this, especially if they're trying to make a living at it.

I always sort of vindictively imagine that the people asking this would make hideous, ugly monstrosities, even working with my good patterns.
            That's certainly what would happen if I tried it. I'm competent with a sewing machine, to the point of being able to make my own clothing and costumes when I have to. But I tried doing a plushie from a pattern once. It looked horrible. I haven't even thought about trying since.
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I too understand burnout, though I'm not of the "making stuff with my hands" creative type.

I participate in writing communities-- primarily pro-wrestling-related "eFeds"-- which typically have weekly or bi-weekly events for which we have to write at least one piece. And that's supposing you're not contributing other segments for the vents or writing more than one "promo" for the card.

I got burned out a couple of times, to the point where I stepped back my involvement (had my characters get injured so one of them could be put on hiatus and the other to limited involvement) and then back further altogether.

But then, every writing community I've been a part of has always adhered to what we call "Rule One" which is "Real Life Comes First."

We're not getting paid for any of this, mind, so it's not quite the same, but I just wanted to chime in that I understand burnout.

Hell, when I worked in retail, I did have to take a "mental health day" once when I just couldn't muster up the energy to go to work.

I hope you recover from your burnout, spark. Us creative types need to stick together.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Thank you all for the support.

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                That's certainly what would happen if I tried it. I'm competent with a sewing machine, to the point of being able to make my own clothing and costumes when I have to. But I tried doing a plushie from a pattern once. It looked horrible. I haven't even thought about trying since.
                Honestly every commercially sold plushie pattern I've ever seen has SUCKED hardcore. They are just plain bad! Doesn't matter how good you are, the end result isn't going to be anything like what's on the package, it'll be much uglier!

Although I suppose I've only used a couple, I've pretty much given up on them. My patterns are better anyhow.
                The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Comment

For the non-understanding whining guy, gather up what all he has paid for pack it for shipping and send it to him. Send a nice note explaining again, the burnout and everything, and the fact that you cannot and will not work for him. Polite and to the point. Also gets you out of working for or dealing with him.

Or just tell him he has now gone to the END of the queue for ALL projects that are left.
                  GFY

Comment

Aw, burnout sucks- hopefully when you're all caught up you'll get a nice rest and be able to have fun with it again later.. 8-)

Quoth spark View Post
                    I always sort of vindictively imagine that the people asking this would make hideous, ugly monstrosities, even working with my good patterns.
                    Yeeeah, but remember the site you're on:
                    If they DID, how many of them would turn around and blame the pattern?

Comment

Quoth MiloMorai View Post
                      For the non-understanding whining guy, gather up what all he has paid for pack it for shipping and send it to him. Send a nice note explaining again, the burnout and everything, and the fact that you cannot and will not work for him. Polite and to the point. Also gets you out of working for or dealing with him.
                      This is the plan if I don't hear back from him soon.

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                        Thank you all for the support.

Honestly every commercially sold plushie pattern I've ever seen has SUCKED hardcore. They are just plain bad! Doesn't matter how good you are, the end result isn't going to be anything like what's on the package, it'll be much uglier!

Although I suppose I've only used a couple, I've pretty much given up on them. My patterns are better anyhow.
                        I agree with you about the patterns, I was going to suggest you consider selling your patterns after all - good patterns don't sell cheaply, and there's the advantage that all the work is in the design, up front - then if you sell a fair volume, you continue to make money off the initial work for years. Might be less stressful than project after project.

However, I then remembered my few attempts at making anything plush. I'm a pretty good seamstress (or used to be), and made lots of intricate clothes for myself and my daughter years ago. But I found working with plush/furry materials takes skills that even people who sew well don't often have. Even with a good pattern, I'd not have tried even a simple teddy bear. Perhaps having people going around with their pathetic attemps at sewing plush items, telling everyone who will listen that they made it with your patterns, isn't the best advertisement for your business after all

Let me just say, you are one very talented and underappreciated individual.

Madness takes it's toll....
                        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                          I'm certainly not going to disagree, but this was a soccer ball pattern for a stuffed fuzzy soccer ball. Not even a true "plushie." I'll stick to costumes...
                          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Burnout is a tough thing to deal with, I think. It is even tougher when you've got a business and are trying to make ends meet. So lots of luck to you....I hope you can make it thorugh all this.

Comment

People just don't seem to understand that artists have a limit. Writers, painters, musicians, crafters, etc., all get blocked or burned out at some time. We can't crank stuff out like a machine. We have to deal with the same real life issues and stresses that non-artists do, plus if the muse is silent, nothing we can say or do will start it up again.

I'm sorry you're burned out, and I totally understand how it happened. It's happened to me, too. And it's frustrating as hell.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X