This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Even If You Ask Nicely

Last night I worked closing and it's true, the freaks come out at night. One of our regulars came in and loaded up on butt load of beer.

As I ring her up, she asks me if I can let her buy the beer on her EBT card. I told her "Sorry, I won't do that." She then gives me this pouty look and simpers "Even if I ask nicely?" I shot her a look and again told her there was no way that was gonna happen. She gave me this butt hurt look and left the store.

I can't believe she actually thought asking nicely was gonna change my mind.
    My Horror Blog

Cinemania

At least she didn't flip out on you and spew out a torrent of vile hatred.

So you're doing better than most.
    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Oh, yes, because asking nicely always makes me want to break the law. I'd say I'm surprised she thought that would work, but after nearly ten years of c-store enslavement, nothing surprises me anymore.
      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I've never had someone actually try to purchase beer with EBT, though I did have quite a few get upset that it didn't cover energy drinks or the deli. Arguing or pouting won't make me suddenly become your bestest bud and risk my job. I think that's what confused me the most - why would I break the law for some random person I just met?
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

exactly. i hate when people think they're entitled to having laws ignored just because they think they're special.

no one is that special. especially with something like this.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            I've never had someone actually try to purchase beer with EBT, though I did have quite a few get upset that it didn't cover energy drinks or the deli.
            Energy drinks I can understand, but - forgive me for ignorance - why not deli basics?

Noting that here in Aussieland, delicatessans (delis) typically sell sandwich meats, cheeses, cured pork stuff (eg bacon) and other basics. They do also sell upmarket goods and pre-prepared salads and stuff, but I don't see any reason not to allow shoulder ham or bologna or plain old cheddar cheese.

Are US delis different? Is that what's making me confused?

(NOTE: the issue of whether EBT should cover bologna or cheddar cheese is a Fratching one. I'm just trying to resolve a confusion here.)
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Ugh yes, because I totally pay my taxes so you can get loaded. Seriously, you wanna get drunk, do it on your own damn dime, not mine. I'd much rather my taxes went on, like, creating jobs for people who want to work, instead of people who only want to sit on their ass and drink all day.

DISCLAIMER: I have no problem with welfare programs helping the truly needy. My problem is with people like this who shit all over the system. I object to enabling them.
              Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Comment

This may vary from state to state but at least here you can things like sliced deli meat and cheeses with EBT since you can make those into a sandwich. You cannot, however, get fried chicken or one of the rotisserie chickens since those are already cooked.
                Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  Are US delis different? Is that what's making me confused?
                  I'm guessing that what bainsidhe is talking about is from the deli counter in a grocery store. And those have the same stuff as what you said. I don't get it either....
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                    I'm guessing that what bainsidhe is talking about is from the deli counter in a grocery store. And those have the same stuff as what you said. I don't get it either....
                    It's likely in reference to made foods found at the deli counter, such as potato salad or the more expensive foods, such as shrimp or premium meats.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

OP works in a C-store, therefore something from the "Deli" is going to be pre-made, usually a sandwich.
                      I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
                        This may vary from state to state but at least here you can things like sliced deli meat and cheeses with EBT since you can make those into a sandwich. You cannot, however, get fried chicken or one of the rotisserie chickens since those are already cooked.
                        To answer Seshat's question - It's pretty much what Teysa said. In my particular state EBT covers things like cheese or sliced meat, but you can't get the "deli" items which includes fried chicken, potato salad, etc. Basically all the pre-made stuff. This does vary a lot by state, because I know for certain there is at least one state that covers certain fast food places. When people receive their food stamp money they also receive a booklet that tells them all the rules and what is included, so they should know and nobody should be pitching these fits, but we all know SCs don't read.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                          Energy drinks I can understand, but - forgive me for ignorance - why not deli basics?
                          Sorry about that, to clarify:

Quoth Teysa View Post
                          In my state, you just can't use EBT towards prepared/finished goods from the deli. You can buy deli meat to your heart's content, but the moment a store slaps bread on it, the sandwich no longer qualifies for EBT.

It just boggles when people would get all ragey when I refused their (prepared) deli purchase or energy drink. Keep in mind this was a very small percentage of my EBT customers, but there's always SCs in every group/nationality/culture/etc.
                          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

In my state you can purchase uncooked items i.e sandwiches and potato salad with EBT. You cannot buy cooked chicken or ribs though as they are taxed.
                            My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
                              In my state you can purchase uncooked items i.e sandwiches and potato salad with EBT. You cannot buy cooked chicken or ribs though as they are taxed.
                              Sounds similar to NC. Here you can purchase uncooked items (or rather, cold Deli items.) Hot deli items (that are ready to eat) cannot be purchased on EBT.

On rare occasion I'll have a customer who gets confused by it, so really that's the best way I can explain the difference.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X