This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm entitled to something.

Yes, someone said that to me yesterday. They actually used the "e" word.

Quick backstory: girl comes in with a laptop with a bad hard drive 2 weeks ago. We replace it, load Windows, etc. Her old drive was dead as a doornail. She was fine with all this. No problem.

Comes in earlier this week... claims she heard something rattling around inside the laptop so she opened it up and there was a loose screw that holds the hard drive in place, plus it seems the drive is acting up.

Unfortunately, it's a possibility that one of our techs didn't screw the thing in tightly and as a result the drive popped out and was moving around. Sucks, but that's why you have to check your work.

So we replace the hard drive. Got the new one in yesterday, loaded Windows, updates, software, etc. plus we got her data off the old, failing drive. (naturally, she hasn't bothered to back it up since she got it back - no one ever does )

Comes in last night to pick up and has some dude with her. He does most of the talking. I explain sometimes we just get bad drives and of course, accidents happen. Obviously we don't fix stuff and intend to see it back after 2 weeks.

I still don't know why the guy felt the need to do the talking... if anything it was more insulting that she had some random guy annoy me than talking to me herself. So she didn't have the laptop for 3 days... and the says "I think we're entitled to something for the inconvenience."

I seriously had to bite my tongue of all the things I wanted to say. I basically just apologized for the issue and that we had no intention of fixing something only for it to return a couple of weeks later. They seemed disappointed that I wouldn't offer anything but fortunately relented before I had to get nasty.

Besides:

1. If did give her something back, either money or a free mouse or whatever, then these loudmouths would tell their friends they could get their computer fixed and complain to get free stuff.

2. They've probably already complained to their friends about the bad man at the computer store who fixed the computer and wouldn't give them anything when he had to fix it again.

I still can't believe the guy had the balls to literally say he was entitled to getting something.

Since she said she opened the laptop and found a screw... doesnt her opening void any sort of work done on it anyway?

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
      I basically just apologized for the issue
      "I'm sorry about you having a screw loose, ma'am."
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
        I would totally say this.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Do you have an invoice on them? Does it have their address? If they want money, calculate the current cost of gas, the mileage from her place to yours, and then figure out the total.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post

Gahhhhhhhhhh I wish I was quick enough to have thought of that. I totally would have said it, too.

Comment

I haven't been paying close enough attention but I'd be willing to bet that at least some of my callers seeking compensation for whatever horrible thing High End Home Store has put them through (whether I agree with them or not) have used the word "entitled". That screw loose comment would have been epic
              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
              X