This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dastardly Cigarette Conspiracy - Long, sorry

So my shift was fun today. I went in at 2:00. There was no one in Cosmetics, because that person had called out, so I got babysit Cosmetics for 2 hours (BTW I know NOTHING about Cosmetics, don't work in that department and don't wear makeup). So that was fun.

At 4:30 the day shift leaves. Assistant Manager informs me that 2 of the 3 other people scheduled tonight have called out. DUH it's Friday and they're both high schoolers with HUGE basketball games being played (against each other, for bonus points!!!) tonight. The third person doesn't come in until 6:00 because she has a full-time job.

SO that meant, from 4:30 to 6:00, there was no one in the store on the salesfloor other than me, at the main register, and the assistant manager. She had already called any and all other employees to see if they would come in, and they all declined. And the fun begins.

During this wonderful time that there is only me and the manager on the floor (remember, it's Friday night between 4:30 and 6:00) we were slammed. It's our busiest time anyway, but without backup cashiers, there's just me. I'm doing my darndest to process customers quickly, smoothly, and trying to be pleasant as well.

All of a sudden, my husband shows up, back from his doctor's appointment, to let me know he was diagnosed with skin cancer His doctor is hopeful, as it was caught early, but dang! I feel like the world just dropped out from under me.

And then THIS::

Not one, but two, people (about 15 minutes apart) come up to the register and ask for a brand of cigarettes we are currently out of. Now we normally get our cigarette delivery on Thursday, but for some reason this week we didn't. I can't help that mkay?

BOTH of them started yelling, "YOU ARE THE THIRD STORE I HAVE BEEN TO THAT DOESN'T HAVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT IS IT A DAMN CONSPIRACY???????"
    Well I tried to explain that our delivery didn't come and I'm really sorry and would they like something else? "OH HELL NO THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!"

::::eleventyblargleblarglestompoff:::

Well that just makes me feel like you-know-what, but here's the best part! In BOTH cases, the customers behind these cretins came to my defense and told me those people were jerks (they used other words ) for taking it out on me. As one said, "well if this is the THIRD store they've been to, it might possibly yanno be the manufacturer or distributor's fault. It sure as hell ain't yours".

Sorry this was so long, I've just had a REALLY bad day

I am sorry to hear about your hubby. Good Luck with that!!!
    You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Sorry about your day

You poor baby, having so much bull dropped on you! Hugs to your hubs, tell him to feel better. I have a coworker with the same issue, yet he's in recovery. So long as they catch it early...

On a side note, how DARE you withhold their precious nic! You should pull some cartons out of your ear for them instead of trying to be reasonable and explain it's not your fault! (Sarcasm is now off. Feel free to the brats...)

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes.

Lady Pigeon, I am ROFL !!!!!!! Thanks for making me laugh after such a horrendous day! ::kiss hug::

Comment

Sorry to hear about your hubby, Teefies - a friend of mine had skin cancer and got through it, like you said it's catching it early that's the key. Best wishes and hugs to the both of you
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Most skin cancers are very slow to grow, and easy to treat. While the C word is awfully scary, this one is usually the least serious. (Not that I'm saying it isn't serious, just less so in relation to other cancers).

My sister had it, had one minor surgery to remove it, didn't even have any other prolonged treatment - and that's been, oh, at least 30 years ago, and she's been fine since.

Lots of good thoughts for you both.

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear that news, Teefies

And yes, it sucks getting such gut-wrenching news on a day where you're already stressed and pushed to the limit. But there again, there's never a good time to get that kind of news.

Getting back to the SC part of the OP: you'd be surprised how many folks will get all up in arms over their habits.

We have one regular guy who comes in every so often just to yell about his brand of chewing tobacco NOT being on the shelf. Nevermind that our corporate office recently updated planograms and customized for every single store in the operating area . . . nevermind that we're on CAO now and that the computer orders based on what is selling at the register . . . nevermind that because of said updates to planograms and CAO, I DO NOT have an order code for this particular brand now nor can I get it into the store b/c the computer WILL NOT allow me to order it.

Yet he can go to our next closest store and they have it in their set. Then just go there and harrass them and leave me the bleep alone about it.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Sorry to hear about your hubby. Hope everything turns out okay on that front. As for the SCs, they were fools, though I'm not sure Mr. T would pity them. At least the customers behind them were cool.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your hubby -- sending good thoughts to both of you.

Kudos to the customers who took your side in the situation. Maybe the jerks should consider this a wake-up call to quit puffing, if this is what it's reducing them to!

Comment

I just underwent the first of several surgeries for squamous cell skin cancer yesterday. In the grand scheme of things, it really is relatively minor, but yeah, that first diagnosis is mighty scarey. With me, the only real issue will be if it was caught soon enough. It's really easy to get lost in the psoriasis, and assume it's something else.

I hope everything goes ok with your hubby, and do NOT let him put off getting treatment!
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I'm also very sorry to hear about your husband. My mom had skin cancer a few years ago but she just had some minor surgery and had to use some special prescription cream. Every now and then it comes back but since she knows to be on the lookout and regularly gets checked out by a dermatologist they have caught it early enough that she just has to use the cream stuff whenever it pops up. As others have said early detection is key and it looks like your hubby has that going for him.

Comment

My younger sister had a basal cell carcinoma removed when she was in her early 20's. The scar is barely noticeable (it's on the tip of her shoulder), but it's a reminder that our family history with skin cancers is dangerous, and every time I see it, I start checking myself for abnormal moles.

It's great that your hubby's got caught early. Here's to easy treatment, a quick recovery, and a bright future.

Comment

Sorry your night was so sucktastic. I've so been there.

My mom has had several cancerous spots and moles removed. She grew up in Florida in the 60's so she got plenty of sun. She's been fine so far other then keep an eye out for moles or spots that could be suspect.
                          And I was lucky (not) enough to inherent her family's plethora of moles. Thankfully she slathered my brother and me in sunscreen while we swam all summer during our childhoods, and I now avoid the sun like the plague.
                          Regardless, good luck to your hubby.
                          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Thanks so much for the support everyone. I'm taking all those good thoughts and storing them up !!!!!

Comment

Most of the older members of my family have had one or more cancers cut off. All of the adults (including me) have had dubious moles and marks removed.

Mine, thankfully, have all so far come up clear. <knock on wood>

I hope your husband has the same luck my older family members have: surgery to remove the cancer, a biopsy on the cancer, a check from a dermatologist, and possibly a second surgery to make sure they got it all.

Except for my grandfather (who lost part of his nose), they've all been left with nothing but a small scar and the need to have the scar monitored.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X