This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It March Yet?

I just have to have a quick vent here, guys. Sorry about it. So, background: We're currently running one of our annual charity drives at the C-store. Hint: It's the charity where you buy a paper shoe to put your name on to support it. My manager is hell bent on us selling a bazillion of these things, I swear. We've sold over 450 so far. We're running out of space on the walls to put the damn things up. The ohter issue with it? No one wants to donate anymore, and we're only eleven days into it. Here are a couple of things that I noticed today.

1) People just love to rudely cut me off in the middle of my spiel. I can't begin to count the number of times I got to "Would you like to donate a dollar to--" before I was cut off with a sharp "NO." from the SC. I understand not wanting to donate, but at least let me get through what I was going to say first, for fuck's sake!

2) I had a woman tell me "I don't have an extra dollar" when I saw her wallet FULL of cash today. It infuriated me. Yes, I realize maybe none of the bills in her purse were one dollar bills, but I'd have gladly broken a five, ten, or even twenty for her. I'd have been fine with a simple "No" but to blatantly lie to me? Hell no.

3) People will throw gobs of money at the Powerball/Mega Millions/whatever lotto game, but refuse to donate even one dollar to the charity. It just boggles my mind. If you win that $325,000,000 are you going to donate then? I sure hope so!

We're selling these things until the end of the month. March first can't come fast enough right now. I am so tired of asking if people would like to donate, and getting told no. It's become almost depressing, really, and people are rude about it. Sigh. I think I need a vacation!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

I agree with you, except for #2. By 'extra' she could just have meant a dollarthat wasn't already earmarked for another bill or errand that day.

But I do seriously hate the interrupting ones. Sometimes my old manager would get mad if we stopped the spiel halfway through, even if the customer flat-out said they didn't care to hear the rest of it. You can't win either way!

Comment

I know what you mean - here its the balloons - and I have donated, but it is annoying to be asked every single time, plus there are times when I chose NOT to donate to store charity drives, not because I don't have enough money, or that I'm a stingy bitch, but because there are some near & dear charities that I donate to instead.
      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Ah, bacchninalus, I didn't think about that. Still, a simple no would've sufficed. I don't know. DeltaSierra, I think the being asked thing is a lot of what I'm running into with my customers now. Fun, fun.

Comment

Honestly, is it really that difficult for people to just let the clerk get out the spiel that they have no choice but to say to every single person and then just say, "no thanks," or "not this time"?

It's not like listening takes any effort or extra time.

But I guess it does take some manners.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The one stint I did with the balloon charity at the store I worked at, one customer replied, "I'd already donated to that cause. Wanna know how much? More than you'll make in a lifetime!" It was really hard to smile sweetly and say, "Well good for you! Have a nice day now, bye!" Great way to use a good cause to take jabs at others. Personally, I doubted what he'd said, but... whatever.

Good grief, if you think it's a waste of time to the point where you interrupt the spiel, don't offer lengthy explanations, just say, "No, thank you," and move on. Saves us that other "wasted" second of our lives that could have been spent on pleasant things, like... getting donations for a worthy cause.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
              I had a woman tell me "I don't have an extra dollar" when I saw her wallet FULL of cash today.
              Having a wallet full of cash does not mean one has any extra money. For example, I may well have several hundred dollars in my wallet at some point in the week (I make tips and/or get paid cash each day that I work; my actual paycheck is a minor portion of my income), but that does not mean that money is extra. I have rent and utilities to pay, not to mention food, storage, cell phone, and gas for my truck. And every now and then, I have to make a repair to either my truck or my bike. Or pay for this, that, or the other. I like to give to charity, and I do so when I can, but having a lot of cash does NOT mean I have extra money.

I am not saying SHE didn't have extra money, or that she shouldn't have been more polite about it, but I am pointing out that one does not automatically equate to the other.

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
              People will throw gobs of money at the Powerball/Mega Millions/whatever lotto game, but refuse to donate even one dollar to the charity.
              Again, to be fair, it's their money, and they can do with what they want. They may want to throw it away on lotteries. They may want to use it for drugs, hookers, and beer. Or they may have donated to other charities elsewhere that they deem more worthy. (I myself am a sucker for anything benefiting the National Kidney Foundation, since my father died of kidney disease. That doesn't mean I am not sympathetic to other charities, but until I am independently wealthy, I cannot donate to every charity, no matter how worthy.) Just because they are donating to the charity in your store does not mean they are not donating to charity at all.

All that being said, again, none of it excuses them being rude to you about it.

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              Honestly, is it really that difficult for people to just let the clerk get out the spiel that they have no choice but to say to every single person and then just say, "no thanks," or "not this time"?
              I was going to say that I do just that, and you read my mind! But when I am not donating at the grocery store (and they often ask for various things), I smile and politely say "Not this time" or "Not today, thank you."

Period, end of story.

Why?

Because my parents raised me to have some manners.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Just so you know, this one person does have her charities planned if I ever win on the $1-2 a month or so that I spend on powerball. St Judes, Best Friends and Smile Train (my eldest granddaughter was born with a cleft lip, she was lucky in that it was mild and not the whole palate). Hope that restores a modicum of faith.

I hate those people that can't just say, 'no thank you' or 'not today'. It doesn't hurt and it isn't the cashiers fault they have to ask you every time they serve you.

Comment

Alright, I admit I jumped to question the "no spare dollar" woman. I tend to be a bit quick to react at times. Jester, you have a great point there. I think it was the way she said it more than anything though. I don't know...I just want to be done trying to sell the damn things, that's all.

Comment

BrenDAnn, don't worry about Lady #2. Yes, there are many possibilities on that one, but it's also just as possible she said the first thing that came to mind when she really just didn't want to donate.

My thoughts? If you're going to use that as an excuse, please at least pretend to be sincere. Too often I'd have someone give me an excuse and then a story to support their excuse. I don't need a story, thanks. Just tell me "no thank you" or "not today" and we'll both be hunky dory.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Even "I've already given, thanks though." You don't have to say who you've given to.

And it's utterly classless and uncultured to do that 'more than you'd earn in a lifetime' trick. That just sucks.

I admit, I find it hard to just say 'no' to a charity request. But that's my problem, not the problem of the person making the request. Saying that I've already given is my way of appeasing my conscience and .. I dunno. Maybe a need to seem like a decent person?

But since I live on charity (aka disability pension) ... well. Can't give much.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Just my two cents.

When someone starts to give me a story of why they can't donate, or why they won't, I listen and then say "You don't have to explain, I'm just required to ask" with a smile/sheepish grin. Most of the time this gets a smile or a laughing "I know" from the customer.

Still doesn't excuse people being rude though.

Comment

I am thinking everybody is doing the asking for donation thing right now. We are doing foot print shaped ones. The grocery store next to us are doing the balloons.

I have seen customer tell me no then walk right out my door and into the bakery next door and come out with a bag full of stuff.
                          Lay your hands upon me
                          Like an angel from above
                          Put your arms around me,
                          'Cause you're fallin'

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                            Jester, you have a great point there. I think it was the way she said it more than anything though.
                            As I said, there are many possibilities that would explain WHY she said that. However, there is not excuse for her to have been RUDE about it, no matter what her particular circumstances may have been.

You don't have an extra dollar? Fine.
                            You're a bitch about not having an extra dollar? Fuck you.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                              The one stint I did with the balloon charity at the store I worked at, one customer replied, "I'd already donated to that cause. Wanna know how much? More than you'll make in a lifetime!"
                              How rude and tacky can you get?!

While it is annoying to have to listen to a spiel every place you go, a simple "no, thank you" will suffice. You don't need to explain or get belligerent. If you're irritated, imagine how the employee feels.
                              Last edited by XCashier; 02-12-2012, 05:19 PM.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X