This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're Not Paying Any Fees

So, I've finally managed to wrest the dunning calls back out of the hands of the woman who didn't do them regularly, and regularly did them wrong. It's amazing how much more willing people are to work with you when you give them a friendly status request versus accusing them of being late paying their bills and demanding to know what they plan to do about it.

So, among the duties of the dunning caller is to contact people who have bounced check payments. Thankfully this happens rarely. We recoup the fees from the bank by charging a standard fee, which I'll say is $25 but isn't really.

One of our customers has a COD account and the check they paid for their order was returned by the bank for insufficient funds. This isn't good. The check was for less than $100 dollars, which I'll say is $90 but isn't really. This happened at the end of last month.

So, I call the company, speak to the buyer, who says she will pass my information on to the accounts payable person.

Two days later, I call back, speak to the buyer again, and again give a message to be passed on to the accounts payable person.

The weekend comes and goes and I call again, this time speaking to someone else who claims to be the accounts payable person, but who has no authority to do, well, anything at all about the returned check. She starts going on about how she can avoid the fee, to which I reply, "Well, unfortunately, to avoid that you would have had to have enough money in the bank to cover the check." She was rather put out over that. She takes another message to give to the person who does have the authority as soon as they become available.

Wednesday, I call back, speak to the new person again, and again, nobody with any authority is available. Now, I'm tired of dealing with this company, and Bossman had asked that he speak to them before I send them off to collections. We don't normally pass things off this quickly, but it was for less than $100 (slightly more with the fee), so it isn't worth the time to hassle with. We don't care if we lose a bunch to the agency. I put her on hold, track down Bossman, and give him a heads up on where the call is held and who and what it is.

Bossman takes the call in the shipping department, near where he had been working. Shipping guy (my boyfriend) relays to me later that day that among the things he heard was Bossman asking how long she worked there (two weeks - she had told me she was new, but made it sound like a lot newer than that), if she had been paid (not yet), and then offering hopes that not only will she be paid, but that the paycheck doesn't bounce like our COD payment. I suspect that had her a bit rattled. Bossman then came to me, said that she would be calling back with credit card information and to take it down and just charge for the value of the check; he would wait until that was paid and then go after them for the fee. I feel sorry for them; he can be quite politely unpleasant when pissed off at someone. It really is an art with him.

So, it gets later and there's no call. So I call them, asking if the so-far mythical authority figure is out of their meeting and able to provide credit card details. She requests a form be faxed that she can fill out and return. Easy enough: I have just such a form in my system that I can fax right over. Unfortunately, I manage to screw up filling out the form, and then forget to actually fax it over. I call back an hour later and she tells me that she didn't receive it. So I get an email address and email it, instead. Another hour passes, and still no email. I updated Bossman and Bosslady, and notice the unsent form, which I also send, as backup/reminder to powerless accounts payable woman that she still owes me that information. The day ends with no word back.

I am out on Thursday, and nothing happens. No word from her and no calls to her.

Friday, I spend my entire day working on a project fixing a minor but rather irritating mistake I had made with the inventory system. Bosslady is swamped putting out fires so lets this one go for this week.

I'm not sure what's going to happen on Monday. Either I or, more likely, Bossman is going to call them back and give them one last chance to do something. I'm not going to hold my breath that they will. The smart money is on me making a call to our collections agents to go after them for us and put a black mark on their rating. The company we use is international and huge; this will go on their history.

The funny part is that the company isn't that far away. In the time we've spent with their people on the phone, they could probably have scraped up the money owed and driven it to our office and taken less than all of the phone calls put together.

My suspicion is that they're stalling until a payment from one of their customers comes in. But rather than let us know that's what they're doing, they're stonewalling us and hoping we'll forget long enough to get to that point. Which is absolutely the fastest way to get us to send you to collections.

We actually let one customer have an unpaid invoice for two years. Then again, that was a long-time customer who made a point to actually initiate calls from his end and keep us updated about his progress on figuring out where the problem was. He never did figure it out (even with the nice charts I made for him), but he did pay the past due balance.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

I have a client like this right now. They caused us to take their account to collections after being told they would be charged any fees incurred. They obviously were told their account was now Proforma. When their order came in the Proforma invoice includes the charges incurred.

They've tried every trick in the book to get me to release part of their order before payment as "they need it desperately". They've even sent me a "bank document" which was missing some rather important details to confirm they'd paid. The jury is out on whether this document is real or not but the funds hadn't arrived when they should have if it was sent then.

I'm waiting to go back to work after a few days off (and I'm ill again damn it) to see if the funds have finally arrived but I'm firmly expecting it not to have.
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Well, my idiots sent a money order to cover the face value of the check they bounced and are now on permanent COD(cashiers check)/credit card only, which is our shorthand for "don't accept their checks.

Of course, they never did call like they promised. Or email back. Or contact us in any way other than sending the money order. We're likely going to drop it and just note on their account that we don't like them, so no favors.

Ah, yes, the "we owe you money, but we don't have it and we desperately need the parts for a sale to get money so will you trust us to pay you after we've shown that we can't be trusted to pay you just this once pretty please" attempt. We have a few of these clowns, too.

We sent one of them to collections for pretty much stonewalling us, and the moment the agent notified them of their involvement, they suddenly call asking to settle their debt. Idiots. Once it's sent to collections, it stays with collections, with all of the new fees piled right on. They had their chance to work with us; we'll be happy (well, maybe not happy, exactly) to set up a payment plan. We can accept partials.

As for wire transfer payments, we had a customer a couple of months back who insisted they sent us a wire and even sent us a note from their bank that they sent it. Except for the rather glaring error that the bank they sent it to happens to be on the other side of the country than us, so they obviously screwed up the bank routing number when they did it. We told them this about half a dozen times, but their English isn't particularly good. Finally the wire was returned to them and they just canceled the order.

We've had a couple of customers send wires and their banks are so backwards that it takes 3 or 4 business days for us to receive the money. I don't know where it gets held up, but I bet the agency doing the holding is making a pretty penny in interest.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

We've had a few customers first dragging their feet and the stonewalling us on payments, until.....

POW!

we get a notice of bancruptcy in the mail.

Comment

That's why I like working in an industry where I can lien for a debt. Even after a bankruptcy.

Comment

Quoth It shouldn't View Post
            We've had a few customers first dragging their feet and the stonewalling us on payments, until.....

POW!

we get a notice of bancruptcy in the mail.
            I've got another guy who runs a 2-man operation who is a notorious flake. We've had to chase him down for payment of pretty much every invoice. Well, the last time I called (yesterday), I got what I am assuming is a magic jack (or similar) response for when the system it's supposed to be attached to isn't running.

Called up the collections agents, and they tell me that they've got a public record of a utilities lien, but no collections activity. They handle about 10% of the industry, so it would appear that nobody's filed against them, yet. I'm likely going to forward the details to them next week and move on to more productive tasks. Since nobody else appears to have filed claims, we'll be near the head of the queue if they go the bankruptcy route.

^-.-^

Comment

Accounts - Some are good. Some accounts, well....... I just wish that these people would stop thinking of us as a bank.

I'll be dealing with a payment from the latter today.
              "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Oh yes... some of our now ex-customers thought payment was optional: we had bouncing direct debit, transfering money way to late, even a wilfully wrong credit card number (we had proof and went to the police).

Small businesses can have cash flow problems, we know that. Talk to us and we'll work with you. Sheesh, we even delivered on full commission once. Or let you pay on installments... But you have to talk to us!

If you try to fool us, or try to scam us: Step 1: Nasty last chance letter. Step 2: Collection.
                Some accounts are on "Payment-first" permanently, they bitch and whine about it. Who cares, you want our goods, we want our money. Too many shenanigans? We'll fire you as a customer, because we lose money on you!
                No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Working...
                X