Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During the summers I often hear help wanted ads for the local amusment park. Their pitch pretty much implies how awesome working at an amusment park would be.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
      Job aspects inside of the store
      1. ALLLL of the cleaning, sweeping, mopping, dishes, prep, and trash that needs to be taken care of before you can evern THINK about go home.
      This is what bugged me about working in the pizza place the most. You're tired, starving and really want to go home... but before you do that, you have to clear up, make sure all the washing up's done and all the prep is ready for tomorrow morning.

Plus dealing with idiot custys who refuse to understand the fact that we are closed and persist in banging on the door or ringing us up. -.- And at the place I worked at, we could ignore the door bangers but anyone who called had to be answered within three rings, even just to tell them that we were closed.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
        but anyone who called had to be answered within three rings, even just to tell them that we were closed.
        Same here. The DM delighted in calling us like three minutes BEFORE close just to make sure we were still taking orders....and then calling us half an hour after close to make sure we weren't taking to long to close up shop...>_<

For people banging on the door, we refused to unlock it or anything, we'd just yell/pantomime/point at the clock/hours listings, etc. Oddly enough, we never seemed to get walk-in latecomers whose timing could be excused by being on "SC Time", they would always show up at like 10:45 for a store that locked the door at 10pm
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Ditto about pizza delivery jobs...I loved the good parts and hated the bad ones.

I like data entry too, as tedious as it can be...too bad the last data entry job I had was not ONLY data entry but also involved several weekly trips to the County Clerk of Court's office to drop off/pick up documents for them to record in official records, plus the handling of checks and cash for the same. After 3+ years I finally got fed up and told the temp agency someone else could have the job.

My current job is getting to be a bigger and bigger pain in the ass. Not only do I have to deal with the customers - some of whom are fine, some of whom are royal assholes or at least PITAs and many of whom are in between - but the bureaucracy is getting worse and worse. The latest thing (starting tomorrow) is we have to track ALL our time on the computer as well as on the phone. More accurate paychecks, my ass...I'm willing to trade a few cents for the ease of just doing everything on the phone. And for some reason my vertical is the only one that has to even log BREAKS on the computer.

Also, for some reason lately we have been crazy busy...not sure if people are just taking paid time off left and right or calling out, but we seem to be constantly understaffed. At least the customer service agents...the order entry people seem to be bored out of their minds. I think they'd like to be trained for cust service but it involves having enough people for a class, plus the trainer's availability (he works for the client and is in another state)...and of course those agents will be off the floor for the duration of the class, which means even MORE work for those of us who actually show up. *** sigh ***
          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Actually, data entry sounds pretty good to me. Like most other lines of work, though ... there's no jobs in this area.

I enjoyed my years as a reporter tremendously, but of course the mistakes you make in a story are seen by a few thousand-plus readers ... Not to mention the legal landmines you have to watch carefully for in some stories. Sadly, the industry here is imploding and even if you can find a job, you can just about guarantee management will not have your back in any cases of customer complaint.

A few decades ago, I worked in a bakery where the owner didn't mind the staff eating the goodies. I think it was a sort of aversion therapy: after a certain point, you would kill for an apple or banana, but could feel yourself turning green at the sight of a pastry, no matter how well made or delicious it was.

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
              I like data entry too, as tedious as it can be...too bad the last data entry job I had was not ONLY data entry but also involved several weekly trips to the County Clerk of Court's office to drop off/pick up documents for them to record in official records, plus the handling of checks and cash for the same. After 3+ years I finally got fed up and told the temp agency someone else could have the job.
              Damn, that job would line up nicely with my liking for data entry and accounting background *sigh* Pity it is in Florida, involves buildings that are probably not overly handicap friendly and we live in New England. Well, no job is perfect
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

At the pizza place, we had a 50% discount. After a few weeks, you start to hate the sight of pizza. X_x
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

AccountingDrone, I'll PM you the name of the company I worked for. It wasn't just local. You may be right about the handicap access in the buildings, and they also might only hire through temp agencies, but it's worth a look.
                  "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

AccountingDrone, I'll PM you the name of the company I worked for. It wasn't just local. You may be right about the handicap access in the buildings, and they also might only hire through temp agencies, but it's worth a look.
                    Ta, checking into it as soon as I get home tomorrow, the internet at Moms sucks, they are having router issues and surfing is somewhat purgatorial
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

See I don't mind data entry either. Although I had one role in that field I just couldn't do. Every month the payroll software would spit out the pay report into a excel file that was several lines for each employee. Me and another temp had been promised "accounting clerk" roles but spent the entire month checking that report against an accurate employee list for each department and correcting the payroll report to the department numbers etc.

Complete nightmare as there were gazillions of staff (it was a hospital trust) and If the chains were taken off it would have taken about 3hrs to set up a vlookup referencing sheet each month to sort the whole thing out based on the correct department split.

Add that to the most unergomic office I'd ever been in and backaches later I never got through the one month temp to take on the perm. They did say this would stop when new system X went live in 2 months but since it had been delayed six months already I didn't really believe that!
                      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                        At the pizza place, we had a 50% discount. After a few weeks, you start to hate the sight of pizza. X_x
                        Us too -- tho at DaddyJim's I just made it a point to try NOT to eat pizza more than, say, once a week, so I avoided that issue...and I Wasn't working at the other pizza joint long enough for it to be an issue. Fortunately, the manager likes me there and still gives me the half off discount ^_^
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                        X