X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to be threatening

Hi Everyone ,

It's been a while since I posted on here, so I thought I'd share with you all something that happened to me a while back.

At my place of work we have a beaureau de change, where customers come to get foreign currency. Now, as you can imagine, the beareau handles a lot of money, so therefore we close the beareau half an hour earlier than the store so that we can count the money before the end of the day. Bear this in mind for now.

So, 15 minutes after the beareau had closed, a customer approaches me and asks whether he can use it. This didn't seem odd to me at the time, so I apologise, tell him it's closed, and say that he'll need to come in again tomorrow.

Now, this is the part of the story I'm still trying to comprehend. I don't know why, but all of a sudden this guy paces towards me, gets right up in my personal space, and says:

'Well, mate, that's not what I wanted to fucking hear!'

To say I was shocked would be an understatement, but I didn't show it. As you can see, the title of this thread is 'how not to be threatening.' Now, this guy was, but my best estimate, about 5 foot 8, and quite skinny. I, on the other hand, am 6 foot 2, and quite muscular, so he literally had to crane his neck and look up at me in order to be 'in my face.' So I, whilst looking down at this short-arse in front of me, simply say:

'Mate, think very carefully about the next move you're going make. I'd suggest that you take a step back and kindly fuck off.' (Just so you know, I'd had a really long day, and wasn't gonna take shit from a dickhead like him )

Fortunately enough, he does exactly that, turning heel and heading out the door. It's a good thing he did, otherwise his next move might have been his last .

Stay tuned...
    'Luck, you are Awesome and Full of Win' ~ Jay 2K Winger

'Lets be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed' ~ Mark Twain

What an excellent job you did there! A tasteful combination of control and threat.

Have you considered management?

(2gig does not use smilies, but if he did the grinning one would go here...)
    "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

Thank you, 2gig, but no, I haven't considered management, because if I did become a manager I'd have to deal with shit like this on a more regular basis .
      'Luck, you are Awesome and Full of Win' ~ Jay 2K Winger

'Lets be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed' ~ Mark Twain

Comment

Ahh, could be short man syndome
        There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Comment

5'8" isn't that short....sounds more like "scrawny dipshit" syndrome.

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post
            5'8" isn't that short....sounds more like "scrawny dipshit" syndrome.
            Yep, that's what it sounds like--an idiot with delusions of being able to kick someone's ass.

Sort of like the twit I saw in the "Square L" one afternoon. I'm in line, with a bottle of caffeine goodness, when someone behind me started screaming into their phone. Most of us ignored it, until the caller got to the "he'd better do what I say, or I'll kick his ass." At that point, the *entire* line turned around...

...and laughed. Seriously, the guy in question was scrawny as hell, and couldn't hae been over 5 feet tall on a *good* day.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
            X