This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we stand one more post?

I was at a party once, where people brought food to share. One woman brought the "puppy chow" which is described in this thread. Everyone loved it and asked for the recipe. She provided it, then some other woman, who raises dogs, got all annoyed that it was called "puppy chow" but it had chocolate in it and cholocate is toxic to dogs, and she made the first woman put a disclaimer on her recipe that it should NOT be fed to dogs. Because, apparently, everyone in the group was stupid.

Seriously, I can see why another name might be better if you're selling the stuff, especially if the "puppy chow" nickname is not well known. But this is a case of "EVERYBODY knows that that is!" except the people who don't know.

Too funny.
    Women can do anything men can.
    But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
    Maxine

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
      There's a potential cure being investigated via a very restricted diet - about 600 calories per day for eight weeks and a careful diet after that. Scientists think it's something hormonal, but are checking it out. Nothing to do with stem cells whatsoever.
      I realize that "data" is not the plural of "anecdote", but I saw something like this happen recently. The rabbi of my synagogue went on some diet where you eat like 550 calories a day for 43 days, and not only did he lose a tremendous amount of weight, he had to stop his insulin. (He's type II, and had been supplementing his oral meds; I wouldn't recommend a type-I to do this.) Not only this, but he said that while he was terribly hungry for the first several days, by now he doesn't even have that much of an appetite, and a stalk of celery was like eating a steak.

(The funny thing is, this diet was advertised with some kind of magic spray to put in your throat. Partway through his first 43 days, the FDA banned the stuff, so he carried on without it. He says the diet works just as well without it. Strange, that.)

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
        *snip*

My other favs at the C store were the people and their tin foil hats and theories on how to get winning scratch offs. Supposedly like every 10 or so had 1 or 2 winners in it or you could tell by the perforation on the edges? Idk, it all looked the same to me.

*snip*
        Wow, never heard of that one before. I guess next time I buy a scratch ticket I should take my deerstalker hat and magnifying glass with me ... ?

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
          I realize that "data" is not the plural of "anecdote", but I saw something like this happen recently.
          Apparently the background was that many gastric bypass and lap band patients were showing signs of no longer having the symptoms of type II diabetes, so they got some volunteers and looked into it. It's a pretty harsh cure, quite frankly, but the studies could lead to another manner of dealing with the condition.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth dbuzman View Post
            I have never heard of puppy chow or seen what you described sold anywhere. Maybe it's a regional thing. Sounds good though.
            This. I admit I've never heard of "puppy chow" as a people snack. especially since purina makes a food line with the same name.

although the fact it has chocolate in it should be a tip i suppose.

A US Southern favorite is hush puppies.
            I love those! My bf hates them so I eat his for him. dunno if it's true but he claims it's named for people feeding fried batter to the dogs to get the dog to stop whining for fried fish as they cook it, to make them hush

although our dog doesn't get much of it cos we can't tell if there's onions in it or not. (onions aren't as bad as chocolate for dogs iirc but they're still toxic)
            Last edited by PepperElf; 02-21-2012, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Ditto on the "Puppy Chow" thing. I know, I know...you already figured that out! I just wanted to add I wouldn't have been fazed by the dog food next to the human food. There is a brand of doggy ice cream in the freezers of my local supermarket mixed in with the people ice cream. Come to think of it the pet food is in the same isle as the baby food.
              You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Quoth Caractacus_Potts View Post
                ...the pet food is in the same isle as the baby food.
                They're trying to get some people to treat their children like dogs. Which would be an improvement!
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Cure for diabetes is stem cell research? They've got their research mixed up.

There's a potential cure being investigated via a very restricted diet - about 600 calories per day for eight weeks and a careful diet after that. Scientists think it's something hormonal, but are checking it out. Nothing to do with stem cells whatsoever.

Rapscallion
                  Got a link for that?

I know that one particular form of bariatric operation seems to have something like an 60% 'cure' rate, but I have been very resistant to the idea of getting cut open for something that isn't more than 80% as they *remove* part of your digestive tract. [I have to keep telling the jackasses that I am following my nutritional regime, and cutting me open to enforce how much I can eat at one sitting is nonsense as I do not overeat.]
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                    I love those! My bf hates them so I eat his for him. dunno if it's true but he claims it's named for people feeding fried batter to the dogs to get the dog to stop whining for fried fish as they cook it, to make them hush

although our dog doesn't get much of it cos we can't tell if there's onions in it or not. (onions aren't as bad as chocolate for dogs iirc but they're still toxic)
                    I have heard the same story about the origin of hush puppies. However, I went to a lot of fish fries as a kid (in the 50s and 60s) and never saw any hush puppies being given to the dogs. Too many people were eating them.

As for the onions in the hush puppies, in my opinion they're not made proper if they don't have chopped onions in them. And most restaurant versions don't. But it doesn't stop me from eating them.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                      Got a link for that?
                      Sure!

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/06June/P...rie-diets.aspx

It's far less sensationalist than the guff spoken by newspapers. Small scale trial that I'm pretty certain is being investigated further. Not enough information to draw decent conclusions yet.

Rapscallion

Comment

Cure for diabetes is stem cell research? They've got their research mixed up.

Rapscallion
                        Two separate ideas they mashed up. There are indeed Islet cell transplants being developed for type 1s which are derived from a person's stem cells. Only problems being that the same issue that killed the original insulin generating cells tends to eventually finish off the transplanted ones too.

The type 2 idea is based on resetting insulin resistance.
                        "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                        - H. Beam Piper

Comment

omg puppy chow is delicious! and easy to make!

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
                            Two separate ideas they mashed up. There are indeed Islet cell transplants being developed for type 1s which are derived from a person's stem cells. Only problems being that the same issue that killed the original insulin generating cells tends to eventually finish off the transplanted ones too.

The type 2 idea is based on resetting insulin resistance.
                            Depends on why the islets got tanked - would have worked on my Uncle, he drank his pancreas into submission, so after he stopped drinking he could have had the islets replaced in the half of a pancreas he had left and been reasonably fine. My buddy Matthew, he was born with diabetes so the transplant probably wouldn't have worked. His pancreas was toast from the get go.

I wouldn't mind getting in on an experimental stem cell and/or dietary change procedure - I play medical guinea pig now for spare change, Not sure I am thrilled with the surgical removal of part of my stomach until it hits the 95%+ range.
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Sure!

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/06June/P...rie-diets.aspx

It's far less sensationalist than the guff spoken by newspapers. Small scale trial that I'm pretty certain is being investigated further. Not enough information to draw decent conclusions yet.

Rapscallion
                              I have long learned to discount thrilling medical breakthrough news by at least half ... I made the determination that I was not going to modify my diet to synthetic crap other than splenda for sweetening because we did not evolve to eat margarine and drink tab. I eat real dairy in restrained amounts, and drink mainly water, or tea, or cranberry juice made from knudsons or the equivalent 100% cranberry juice thinned with water and sweetened lightly with splenda.

I have an appointment with my endo coming shortly, I may ask for a nutritional consult as well to see if this is something I can try safely for the month and a half or so it seems to indicate.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                                Depends on why the islets got tanked - would have worked on my Uncle, he drank his pancreas into submission, so after he stopped drinking he could have had the islets replaced in the half of a pancreas he had left and been reasonably fine. My buddy Matthew, he was born with diabetes so the transplant probably wouldn't have worked. His pancreas was toast from the get go.
                                Right...and there's some fairly promising research atm pointing to type 1 being primarily autoimmune.
                                "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                                - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Working...
                                X