This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Do you treat all your customers like that?"

Busy, yet uneventful day today, for the most part. There's always that one customer though, y'know? This one happened to come in late in my shift, and asked for a lighter. I gestured toward the rack on the counter and told him to pick one out. He asked if we had any cheap ones, to which I shrugged. I really don't keep track of lighter prices, buddy, sorry. Next thing I know I'm blindsided with:

"You havin' a bad day, man?"
    Cue me blinking in confusion
    "You treat all your customers like that?"
    I blinked again, honestly taken off guard, and replied that I honestly didn't know the prices on the lighters. I finished up his transaction, and of course he had to get in one last parting shot; "I hope you have a better day." Why? Just why? Do I look like that much of a bitch? Really, all I did was shrug because I didn't know the answer to his question. I mean, I'm sorry I didn't bend over and kiss his ass...eh...no, I'm actually not. Fuck it.
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

I go through this all. the. time. It's not you. It's people--especially midwestern ones--thinking every single person they come into contact with must be a master of smalltalk. No one here can be real, so they've elevated small talk to a culture. If I don't have anything valuable to say, I'm not gonna say anything. Let's move to NY, where people don't have time for passive-aggressive social games.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
      "I hope you have a better day."
      "Its looking up the closer you get to the door, sir."

Maybe there's a reason why I was kept back in the stockroom.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
      X