This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first sucks

I think these were my first ever freelance art sucks. I was just reminded of them, so I thought I'd share!

When I was a teenager the town I lived in had regular little fairs and carnivals. This wasn't like the county fair with rides and livestock though, this was a town of five or six hundred people at the time, so they were tiny little things where my grandpa cooked free pancakes for everybody and a handful of random townsfolk had little booths selling home cooking or handicrafts to each other.

I did face painting there for a couple of years. I charged a quarter per drawing, and painted nearly every kid in town, and usually made all of ten bucks, if that. But half way through one of these events a mother comes storming over to me, dragging her son, who'd gotten something like a dragon painted on his arm. She was absolutely flipping out! I can't remember exactly what she said, but she ranted at me for a good five minutes about how tattoos were Of The Devil, and by painting her son I was putting a fake tattoo on him and making him look like a sinner, and that was just as evil as getting a real one, and I should be ashamed of myself. The poor kid was crying his head off. I just stared blankly at this woman until she ran out of rant and stormed off to wash off her son's arm. It was a very conservative, religious little town, but she was the only person I've ever met, still to this day, who thinks that face-painting children is a sin! I always felt very sorry for her kids after that.

A couple of years later I decided to try and branch out a bit, so my little booth also had sketch caricatures. Just like you see at any fair, but done by a 17 year old high school student, so not really that good. I think my grandfather was just about my only customer for them.

While I was sitting there and drawing, a man came over and told me that he wanted to get a picture of the local temple. (This was in Utah, so there were quite a lot of various Mormon temples around, and pictures of them are admittedly popular.) Nothing sucky about that request, of course, but he was my first taste of something that was to become one of my biggest pet peeves, because when I explained that I only draw animals and people, not buildings or anything else, he spent what seemed like eternity arguing with me that anybody who could draw at all would be able to draw temples just fine, and that I'd make tons and tons of money drawing temples, and I needed to stop doing the other art and just do temples and I'd make so much more money, and he just would not LISTEN to anything I said! I was much too shy to tell him off back then, but if he tried it now he'd get a piece of my mind! Architecture and portraiture are *totally* different skill sets!

Those were my first two sucky customers ever. And while I did "real" jobs for many years after that, when I went back to doing art, I swiftly learned that those two had been a foretaste of what was to come, because the two types of suck I run into the most these days are those who are just plain nuts, and those who think I'm doing something "wrong" with my business model. Just about every story I've posted here is one or the other of 'em! (Well, and people who are just plain rude and/or cheap.)
    Last edited by spark; 02-26-2012, 03:01 AM.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Quoth spark View Post
    he spent what seemed like eternity arguing with me that anybody who could draw at all would be able to draw temples just fine, and that I'd make tons and tons of money drawing temples, and I needed to stop doing the other art and just do temples and I'd make so much more money, and he just would not LISTEN to anything I said! I was much too shy to tell him off back then, but if he tried it now he'd get a piece of my mind! Architecture and portraiture are *totally* different skill sets!
    Yes, they are. I don't know why it is, but it is. I can draw people, animals, trees, but I can't draw buildings or machinery properly. I have no idea why.

Many non-artists like your SC just Do Not Get It. They seem to think we are machines that can crank out a drawing/story/outfit/whatever on a dime. They just don't get that sometimes we have the muse, sometimes we don't. They also don't get that if someone is good at one field, they must be experts in all of them.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
      Many non-artists like your SC just Do Not Get It.
      So true. Though really I don't expect them to know that kind of thing off the bat. (It was a very not-sucky person asking about if I could paint a boat that reminded me of this.) It's the arguing that gets me! Okay you don't know that I do animals and not temples/boats/cars/airplanes/whatever. That's fine, you're not expected to know. But once I've told you what I can and cannot do, please take my word for it! I am the artist here, you do NOT know more about what I can draw than I do!
      The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

I know just enough about Art (the painting/drawing/etc.) kind to know that I'm not very good at it, and that I like writing more. But even I know that portraiture and architecture are very different skillsets.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I like that your grandfather supported you like that

That devil woman was just crazy. Poor kid! Never heard that face painting was a sin before geez.

And you're definitely right about those two different skill sets. I still have trouble wth faces, but can do buildings, landscapes and objects really well. Though with charcoal, I can do amazing body work since I loooove playing with light and shadows. But faces still allude me lol. Unless it's anime

Comment

Portraiture involves capturing the precise facial structure of the subject in an artful fashion. It involves an intuitive understanding of skeletal and muscular structure, how to properly render hair, and getting difficult parts, like the lips, looking correct.

Architecture (or, for that matter, most machinery) primarily involves figuring out how to represent a building, which is MUCH bigger than you are, on a 2D surface, with all the angles and proportions looking natural. (And of course, the angles and proportions are tightly interlinked, making things even more fun.)

Indeed, there is little overlap between the two skills, other than the use of a pencil.

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
              ...by painting her son I was putting a fake tattoo on him and making him look like a sinner, and that was just as evil as getting a real one...
              Please tell me she wasn't wearing lipstick, rouge, eye shadow etc. while making such a claim.
              "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
              .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                I know just enough about Art (the painting/drawing/etc.) kind to know that I'm not very good at it, and that I like writing more. .
                Same here. I can kinda sorta draw simple buildings, and I'm decent at doing that little "shading" trick with colored pencils that makes objects "pop out" more (using multiple, slightly overlapping gradients of a color to add the illusion of 3-d) ...But that's about it. If I try to draw a person, I'd just have to tell people that I was "attempting to emulate Picasso", rather than "I suck at drawing people" x.x
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  Yes, they are. I don't know why it is, but it is. I can draw people, animals, trees, but I can't draw buildings or machinery properly. I have no idea why.
                  It's the truth, because I'm the other way! You want cars? Trains? Planes? Cityscapes? I'm your man. You want animals/people? Ehr, uh, I hope I was your last choice because every other artist in town just got abducted by alien life forms from the Crab Nebula who just took off in their flying saucer... which I could also draw for you if you'd like! I'm good with vehicles!

I'll also never understand why some people think that harassing an artist is a good idea... you can beat on/yell at a vending machine, but if you still pay it it will probably give you your treat. You beat on/yell at a human being providing you a service, and chances are, it will try to put a lot of distance between you and it and not give you anything at all even if you would be willing to pay it.
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

A shame that you couldn't turn to the Aghast Mother, make your eyes glow red briefly, and hiss "Yessss.... and I've painted ALL the childrenssssss....."

Quoth spark View Post
                    Architecture and portraiture are *totally* different skill sets!
                    And doesn't matter anyway. You told him what you will and won't draw.

I'm (WAY ) more than capable of doing hardware work on PCs. But I had my fill of it in my youth and focused on teaching and security later in life. The number of people who saw fit to try and change my mind on "doing a quick upgrade" for them would surprise people outside this site. Why they'd want work/art/anything done by someone who has said no still befuddles me.

Comment

Poor little kid. I hope when he got old enough he went out and got himself a nice big tattoo of a dragon (and gave his mom a nice loud raspberry!)
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Facepaint Lady: I...um...what? That's a new one.

Sketch Man: Ok, maybe I'm just mean, but I would've answered his ranting attempt to convince me to draw a temple anyway by quickly scribbling a few quick lines on paper in the vague shape of the temple in question for him. If called on it, I would've added, "I told you I don't do buildings."

Not saying that's what you should've done. Just what I think would've been satisfying to do.
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Facepaint Lady actually sounds like my grandmother; oh the fights we used to get into if my grandfather took me to a fair and I got my face/arms painted (or did it myself).
                          Quoth sms001 View Post
                          I'm (WAY ) more than capable of doing hardware work on PCs. But I had my fill of it in my youth and focused on teaching and security later in life. The number of people who saw fit to try and change my mind on "doing a quick upgrade" for them would surprise people outside this site.
                          Aside from family and friends (where you know the problem and solution even before they finish talking) there is no such thing as a 'quick upgrade'

I've changed my computer focus as well for the most part (security/forensics/recovery). Can I do the standard fixit stuff? Yup. Do I advertise as such? Not to people who don't already know (or know what to ask). I get flak for wanting an actual wage.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

To people who don't know about drawing...a straight line is easy! and a building is made up of all straight lines, so it should be easy, too, right! *shudders*

I'm a photographer, and part of the reason for that is I can get what's in my head onto 'paper' easier with a camera than with a pen/pencil/paintball gun/ect, so I know better

Comment

Working...
                            X